Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pro Kolin advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by gentoo1980, Oct 2, 2013.

1. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

Hi my cats stools were soft and unformed. Been like this for two weeks, I thought it was the kitten food as when she's on bolied chicken for three days they firm up but then become soft again once of kitten food.

I bought some Pro Kolin on Monday, fed her boiled chicken 7 pm gave her first dosage of pro kolin at 11pm, fed her again at 2 am and she went toilet soon after and produced a normal looking stool.

Since then though her stools have become runny and last night really watery. She's booked into the vets this afternoon but am wondering if the reason they've become runny is because I'm giving her Pro Kolin evey 12 hours yet feeding her four times a day?

I've searched online and can't find any info.

2. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Very likely, i would give the pro-kaolin 2 - 3 times aday, or you could try a teaspoon of Libby's natural pumpkin twice aday, ive found the pumpkin to work better.

3. gentoo1980

I was going to buy some pumkin last week from amazon as heard it metioned quite a lot on here. It'll be no good now as it'll take to long for delivery but will come in useful if this ever happened again.

There's two different types. Is this the correct one? Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin 425g

I'll give her another dose now, thanks.

4. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Waitrose sell the pumpkin aswell or this time of year you can get a small fresh pumpkin and boil and mash but yes Libbys 100% natural pumpkin, do not use pie filling its not the same.

In the meantime up the pro-kaolin, when my kitten had a poorly tummy i had to give 3 times a day.

5. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

I've used pumpkin with success over the years with my cats. Now is a GREAT time to buy a fresh one from the supermarket!
    I chop it up and boil it then mash it. Freeze in an ice cube container then transfer the cubes into a freezer bag. Then whenever you need some just defrost a cube :)
    Em

6. gentoo1980

Will do thanks. How long do you last before taking them to the vets? I was going to cancel todays appointment and book another tomorro if three times a day doesn't work but I'm worried she might need vets today.

I just re-read my original post. I forgot to mention this isn't a kitten, it's an adult cat who's still nursing her kittens.

7. gentoo1980

Great tip, thanks.

8. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Other cause could be if they are young kittens is when mum cleans babies up it does upset mums tummy BUT if you are worried i would keep the appointment just to rule out any infection.

9. gentoo1980

Yeah really worried now, wasn't so much other week as they were soft unformed stool but now it's watery I think vets is best. I'll keep my app.

Normally I don't think twice about going to the vets but I've spent well over £600 in vet bills past two month which is unsual for me.

It wouldn't be bothering me so much but I took Mina in last month and she didn't need any treament yet I still got charged £35 which I'm sure in the past it was just £20 if no treatment but never mind.

10. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Always safer if you are worried, my vet charges me £28 before he sees the cat, but if there is any infection or anything going on, better to get it sorted now especially as she is feeding babies.

Hope all goes well today. :)

11. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Roman is just getting over having dire rear, I was feeding him boiled chicken little and often and also giving him pro Kolin, it hadn't got any better after 4 days so I took him to the vets on Sunday, vet gave him an antibiotic jab in case of any infections and said to feed only boiled cod or coley and give the pro Kolin 3 times a day.

He had loose bowel movements on Monday evening then nothing, so I stopped the pro Kolin yesterday and started to introduce his own food again, a tiny bit mixed in with the fish, we had a firmer poo yesterday evening and this morning :)

I was advised by CC and Carly to get some pumpkin purée :) I didn't need to use it but now have some just in case :)

I really hope your cat is better and on the mend really soon.

12. gentoo1980

Update.

Vet thinks it could be that she's sesitive to wet cat food and recomened james well beloved wet but said it's really expensive.

I also mentioned a raw diet and she seemd quite possitive about it and gave me some useful info. When I asked another vet at the surgary last month he didn't seem to agree with a raw diet. It's good to get two differing opinions though.

She's given Peaches an anti-biotic jab and some anti-biotics to take home incase it's a infection and same advice as Sarah's cat Roman, Pro-kolin three times a day, boiled fish ect.. so hopfully this should sort her tummy upset out.

Hope Roman keeps improving.

13. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Thats good news, do you have any raw food, or you could try Purely from petsathome, i used this with rescue cat Libby as she had really bad tummy problems.

14. gentoo1980

No I don't have any raw food. I've bought the meat grinder, scales and most of the supplements. I bought the wrong salt so will try and start my first batch next week.

Oh I need a meat clever as well, forgot about that.

15. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Thank you :)

I hope Peaches is on the mend really soon.

16. gentoo1980

Thanks, I came back to the read for more adive and missed the part about Purley from pets and home. I'll buy some tomorror.

She's produced normal stools since Saturday so Today I was meant to buy some Butchers classic from Morrisons but unforatualy over slept as insomnia at the mo so I gave her cod with a spoon full of Kit-e-cat which she'd been on since a kitten and now it's runny again.

I guess she must have a food intolerance? How can being fed kitten meat for 8 weeks make a cat intolerant of her old adult cat food? If this is case it's crazy. Wish I'd never put her on Kitten food.

I was hoping to rehome her now she's tammed again (went semi-ferrel again whilst long stay in hosptial) but don't think I can rehome her if she need a special diet.

Never mind, my fault for letting her get pregnant just feel sorry if she's stuck with me for the rest of her life. I know she'll be better off with someone else.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice