Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Prisoners have the right to vote?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by goodvic2, Nov 26, 2012.

?

Should prisoners be allowed to vote?

1. Yes they should be allowed to vote

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. No they should not be allowed

30 vote(s)
    88.2%
  3. I'm not sure

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Do you think inmates should have the right to vote or not?

2. JAChihuahua

JAChihuahua PetForums VIP

no, never

I also think that certain convictions should remove the right to vote EVER

3. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

no they lost that right when they committed that criminal act

4. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

No, they shouldn't be allowed to vote!

5. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

When someone breaks the law they give up their right to vote.

6. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

No they should not have the right to vote!

Why should anyone who has commited an criminal offence and is serving time for that, have any say in what happens in the community?

7. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

I think once convicted of a criminal offence then prisoners should not be able to vote.

However, if someone is on remand then they should be able to vote as they have not been found guilty and so are regarded as innocent in the eyes of the law.

8. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Completely agree with all of the above.

Commit a crime, get a jail sentence, lose all 'human rights'. Simples!!!!

Voting is a privilege - privileges are lost when you commit a crime.

9. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

I spent ages trying to word my thoughts but kind of gave up :lol: You have said it perfectly MB!

10. CanIgoHome

CanIgoHome PetForums VIP

thats what I think as well

11. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

what about the pensioners who refused to pay council tax?

or tony martin?

or someone convicted of assisting a suicide of someone terminally ill?

12. porps

porps Swollen Member

throughout history there have been countless times when people have been imprisoned for political reasons rather than criminal ones. Not to mention the countless wrongful incarcerations.

I'm fine with "Commit a crime, get a jail sentence, lose all 'human rights'" at such a point in time when we live in a world without corruption and you can be sure that jail sentences are only passed down to those that deserve them, and not sometimes to those who are simply dangerous to the hidden agendas of those in power.

Im fine with "Commit a crime, get a jail sentence, lose all 'human rights' once i agree that all the laws of the country are relevant, fair and justified, untill such time i am not.

heres just a few examples for you of "great" reasons people should, in your opinion, lose their human rights (since these things are criminal and apparently criminals should have no human rights...)

Definately pretty clear cut and justified reasons to deny someone of basic human rights i'm sure you'll agree

#12 porps, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  13. lennythecloud

lennythecloud PetForums Senior

I'm going to say yes, I think at least some of them should be allowed to vote.

At the moment in the UK two people can be convicted of exactly the same crime but the one that gets a non-custodial sentence can vote whilt the one that gets the custodial sentence cannot. That's crazy and needs to change one way or another.

I also think a prisons focus should be on rehabilitation and that denying the most basic democratic right to vote is dehumanising and denies the prisoner the chance to be part of and take an interest in the wider society. The vast majority of prisoners get released and i'd rather they come out with the best possible chance of staying away from crime, i'm not sure how denying them the vote is going to do that?

14. sligy

sligy PetForums Senior

I am very torn, while i believe people who have committed evil or unforgivable crimes should loose the right to vote i think there are the few that have not committed such dreadful acts they loose all rights.

Some have such dreadful life's to begin with that they see no other way than trying to make a life of crime pay.

Half of all prisoners under the age of 25 were in foster care. They have lead such dreadful lives and we are failing them every step of the way.

Why are we not spending more money on trying to make sure these children don't end up in this state.

Perhaps if prisoners had the right to vote they would know how they could have improved themselves, what help they needed to make a good and honest life for them self. This could be tried to be turned into something positive

Perhaps if they thought they had a voice, something they may never have felt in there whole life they would know what help to offer the new generation. Our justice system is clearly not working, and some people in there genuinely want to change and want to improve themselves.

I am not ignorant to the fact that many people in jail probably deserve it, i also think we should try and learn from them. They are only voting for a political party, they only make up a small part of the population, so why not give them the chance to make it better for the next generation who could also end up in jail.

Some people just need to be given a voice and they could probably do wonderful things. I know a man who was in jail many many years ago, he now helps try to keep young offenders on track, they listen to him because they respect him, because they know he suffered similar things they have. He makes them want to improve themselves because he has shown them it is possible.

15. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I dont feel they should have the right for much!

16. skip

skip PetForums VIP

I'm voting not sure because there are such a variety of crimes and differing circumstances which lead people in to prison

17. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

A big fat no from me...They wouldnt have beds if I had my way. A sheet on the cold floor would do.

18. sligy

sligy PetForums Senior

Is that every prisoner without a bed? no matter what the crime???

19. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

NO they have no right to have the vote, if you have committed a crime you should have no rights to anything.

20. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

I'd allocate that to murderers and child/adult rapists/abusers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice