Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

primordial pouch?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Milly Cat, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Milly Cat

Milly Cat PetForums Member

Our 1 year old moggie Milly has a lot of loose skin over her belly area. It looks like she has a fat belly, but when you touch the area it just feels like excess skin. I did a quick Google search and saw some websites mention a primordial pouch - it this what it is or is she just getting to be a bit of a porker?:eek: I'm not familiar with cat anatomy.

She doesn't eat that much and is a fussy little minx but is rather fond of Dreamies treats.:nono:

2. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Yeh it's pretty common I think, my kitten has had one since he was 5/6 months old!! :lol: I think it's pretty hard to shift and is not even a sign of being overweight so unless kitty IS overweight, don't worry too much!

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Meeko loves his Auntie Chez :001_wub:He has been telling me his little "sporran" is a breed characteristic, ever since the vet pointed it out a few months ago :eek:

4. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Chez loves Meeko too! How rude of the vet to imply Meeko was overweight, when it is quite OBVIOUSLY a distinctive characteristic of being a gorgeous handsome grown up raggie! :mad:

5. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Both my cats have them too and neither are overweight. When Pandora sits on his hind legs it ends up looking like a Kangaroo pouch hanging between his legs lol..

6. Milly Cat

Milly Cat PetForums Member

Same with Milly, hence my husband named it her marsupial pouch :)

Good to know that it's normal as all the pictures we have seen of 'ideal cat weight' outlines in books and websites don't seem to have this excess furry bit.

7. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

You know how the media distorts body images....they are probably air brushed!!:rolleyes:

8. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

Chez has said it all really. Muffin has an obvious promordial pouch and darwin is begining to develop his. very common in BSHs. And it has nothing to do with being overweight fortunately!

9. charleecat

charleecat PetForums Member

Charlee has a little pouch too and she's not overweight. Cos her belly is white, when she sits down for a grooming session, she looks like a penguin sitting on an egg. :D

10. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

Mouse pouch:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice