Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Primary School Prom

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MissG, Jul 24, 2009.

1. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Just been looking at some photo's from friends kids who go to our local primary school. The Year 6's have just had a prom.

I thought it was only Year 11's that did that?

So here we have 11 year old girls, with a face full of make up, in a posh frock - with a date.

Call me old fashioned but there is no way my 11 year old will be doing that.

What do you guys think?

2. jlushh

jlushh PetForums Member

I don't have kids but...I think it's a bad idea for 11 year olds to have a prom aswel...Won't they all still be seeing eachother at upperschool anyway?
    And I haaaate seeing girls that young with makeup on :(
    I had a prom in year 11 and year 13, and nothing in year 6, and I didn't care less..
    I don't see why they can't have a disco instead of a prom at that age.

3. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

My sister's 17 and she hasn't even been to a prom yet (neither have I for that matter), it just goes to show how society has gone these days. Eleven-year old kids going to a prom sounds absurd. :mad:

4. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

I think its too young, i think children grow up far to fast now a days, my 14 year old niece looks older than me :eek:, i just dont think its right, where as all the innocence gone xxx

5. SemolinaPilchard

SemolinaPilchard PetForums Member

Why can't children remain children? We seem intend on growing up too fast these days.....i can imagine much younger children suffering from skin conditions earlier than the usual teens before long, what with plastering their delicate skin with make up too soon. It's a terrible shame i think.

6. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Tell that to the ugg boots and the two-tone, peroxide hair, trademarks of the 'chav' culture. Singing:

7. jlushh

jlushh PetForums Member

Heyyyy theres nothing wrong with peroxide ;)

8. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

It's far too young for that sort of thing. I don't agree with it at all.

9. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

:001_tt2::001_tt2:

10. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

Or Ugg boots lol, sooooo warm in the winter.xxxx

11. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

My daughter had a school prom last week for leaving primary school, which i thought was lovely as she is going to a different school due to us moving so wont be seeing most of her friends, i must admit some of her friends had spray tans:eek: and false nails, and some were far too much done up in makeup, however my daughter really enjoyd the idea,the class spent months doing things like bingo and bring and buy to raise the cash for it in a well know hotel and it made them all pull together as they organised it all themselves, my daughter never wares a dress so it was great been able to go shopping to buy a lovely prom dress and have a nice girly day out.although she did want to ware heels:rolleyes: which she was allowed for a one off, she wore no makeup(as i feel shes to young,and to be honest doesnt need it), and didnt have a date:eek: as she just wanted a fancy do with her friends(and hasnt realised YET that boys are not just there to have a go on their bmx's....lol) so i think it can be a good thing for the kids if done right and learn the kids a little bit of grown up life due to haveing to arrange it and pay for it themselves.
    im sure other will disagree however i was very proud of her and thought although she looked a little too grown up it was lovely to see her out of her jeans and trainers.:)

Attached Files:

12. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

Your daughter did look beautiful as well :) and it is nice to see girls out of jeans and in something more girly.

I agree that the spray tan and false nails are OTT at that age, just seems that some children do grow up to quick not all children though. I suppose it depends on how they are bought up and what surroundings they are in. xxx

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I was watching Miss Mini UK on BBC3 the other night, nothing surprises me anymore :rolleyes:

All I knew of make up at that age was that my mother wore it!

14. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

thats the great thing with my daughter, i dont ware makeup so she has no ones to steal:D and try on, plus she had the advantage to get her dads olive skin so dont think there will ever be a reason to use fake tan:)

15. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

Your daughter is lucky, i would love olive skin. xxx

16. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

It's way too young if you're talking about 6 inch thick make up and spray tan etc but an innocent party and everyone getting dressed up fair enough. We didn't have proms until lower and middle sixth which is 17 and 18. I haven't yet worked out why we had a middle sixth and no upper sixth.

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My mother has dark hair and olive skin whilst the sperm donor (hehe) has ginger hair and fair skin. I ended up with light brown hair (blonde as a child) and light skin :(

My mother has brown eyes, he has blue and I ended up with green too :eek:

So jealous of people with olive skin lol

18. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

lol yes she is lucky, she got her dads blue eyes,my dark hair and his great skin, i would love her colouring, should keep her away from sunbeds at least:)

19. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

Must admit that it's just a little weird. I just had a little prom/disco for leaving middle school (Year 8) and it was a lot of fun and everything but nothing like a proper proper prom with ball gowns and tuxedos etc. Would be a little frightening to see the little Year 6's in my (old) school like that...:eek:hmy:

20. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

It sends a shiver up my spine... :yikes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice