Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pricing advice..

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by KirstenG, Apr 30, 2017.

1. KirstenG

KirstenG PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I have recently set up a Pet Service in my town, there is little competition in my area and I have priced accordingly to similar services in nearby towns.

The problem I am having is that people are enquiring about my service but they are avoiding my standard walking times and prices.

For example - I have recently had a potential customer enquire about me walking their Dog. I quoted £6 for half an hour and £10 for an hour (I'm fully insured and DBS checked). I would have to travel 10 miles a day to their address so I quoted 0.25p per mile after 4 miles. They came back to me and said they only want their Dog walking for 5 minute's, which is fair enough but how do I price it to make it worth my while because I will be making a loss on petrol, or should I cut my losses and politely decline.. even though I need to build up my customer profile?

2. DogWalkingbyBen

DogWalkingbyBen PetForums Newbie

If I was you I wouldn't take this job.
    As you've just started your be tempted to take each and every job offered, but think about its a 20 mile round trip for 1 dog. In time your get lots more enquiries for more local dogs ( which you possibly couldn't take on, if you were driving that far out)

KirstenG likes this.
  3. Jelevents

Jelevents PetForums Member

I would forget it, a 5 minute walk is a complete waste of time I have some dogs that take 15-20 mins to go for a poo on a walk. Any responsible dog owner would be more interested in the dogs welfare rather than the cost and would know 5 mins is just not enough for the dog.
    That job would b better suited to a teenager who wants some pocket money, not a professional walker who has invested time and money into building their brand. The right customers are out there, they will come.

FriendlyFours and KirstenG like this.
  4. KirstenG

Thanks for your quick response guys. You're both right and I have invested money into my brand - I am an official registered business, not someone trying to make money on the side. I have politely declined their request :)

Michebe and Jelevents like this.
  5. PrettyPiaffe

PrettyPiaffe PetForums Junior

A 5 minute walk :eek: have they missed an 0 off the end?! Surely they don't expect ANYONE to travel over to their dog to do a 5 min walk?!

KirstenG likes this.
  6. KirstenG

Unfortunately they did. It's like all the are bothered about is keeping their carpets clean - although as somebody mentioned above, Dogs can take longer than 5 minutes to do their wee's and poo's!
    I have just pinned a post at the top of my business page explaining the importance of allowing time for the Dogs exercise, sniffing, interaction, toilet and companion needs to be met. How is that possible in 5 minutes, I would feel awful leaving them after that amount of time. I've expressed that I can tailor times to the dogs age and health but people don't seem to consider their dogs need for love and attention too. My recently amputated Dog loves nothing more than a walk around the block - it should take 5 minutes to walk round but because this is her time to get out but take it easy, it takes us 25 minutes because she sniffing constantly and she loves it!

rona likes this.
  7. rona

rona Still missing my boys

You are going to be a rare find to those that have you for a walker. I hope you succeed and what lucky dogs :)

KirstenG likes this.
  8. KirstenG

That is so very kind of you, thank you so much. That means the world to me :)

rona likes this.
  9. Derby Dogwalking

Derby Dogwalking PetForums Newbie

I'd be tempted to walk away or offer them a flat rate of £5 for a 'comfort visit'. In order to offer a professional service you need the space to operate. I would guess that these dog owners will be a considerable PITA. You're not obliged to take on any business just because they responded :)

KirstenG likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice