Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Prices: popular v's good dog foods

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by james1, Aug 6, 2009.

1. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Thought this might be useful to compare value of good/bad(ish) foods. Not so good at the top better foods underneath. They are dry complete foods just from a quick search on google not including any special offers

bakers 15 kg £20
    pedigree 15kg £25
    beta 15 kg £21
    wagg 17kg £11
    Hills science 15kg £43 (my personal hate)

burns 15kg £27
    arden grange 15kg £26
    Country Choice 15kg £18
    skinners 15kg £15
    autarky 15kg £16
    CSJ lamb 15kg £19
    James wellbeloved 15 kg £40
    royal cannin 15kg £42
    Orijen 13.5kg £42

thought it might be good for new puppy owners ;)

#1 james1, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Very intresting im sure this will help a few people! Thanks James!

3. davehyde

davehyde Banned

they got wagg round here for 5.00.

4. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Does anyone else on here feed CSJ?
    Has anyone one here heard of it...lol

Very good food. Small british business. Personal service. No advertising: word of mouth.

5. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

When Cheeko was on Bakers I thought £20 was alot for it but now he's on JWB and there's a huge difference in him I actually couldn't care less I'm paying doubt the amount!

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Nice! I'd like to add Country Choice to the good food list. 15kg for £18 (I get it from a family run small pet shop, not sure about the commercial price).

7. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I get my Royal Canin from the breeders club, I pay £25 for a 10kg sack delivered. To buy it in the shops would cost a hell of a lot more as it's £9 for 1.5kg

8. davehyde

davehyde Banned

csj from bodfari i think. n wales anyway.

my dogs wouldnt even sniff it tbh.

sounds good on website.
    the dog treats were excellent tho.

as for no ads they got a big website lol.

9. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

csj has had some good reports - good basic and reasonably priced food by all counts ;)

ILL ADD some too both GOOD and BAD at the top - but please try tell me if the ingredients are good or what? ;)

#9 james1, Aug 6, 2009
  10. WaggFoods

WaggFoods PetForums Newbie

Hi, just thought I'd mention the following, Wagg Foods has teamed up with Asda to offer a tasty credit-crunch busting deal for dog owners nationwide.

Throughout August, Asda will be selling bags of Wagg Worker (12kg) for the special price of £5* . The promotion will run from the 4th August across all Asda stores nationwide whilst stocks last.

Enjoy!

The Wagg Foods team

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I personally wouldnt feed any of the top 5.

Im soon changing to AG, firstly as its one of the best quality feeds on the market, and secondly as they use free range meat and not cheaper intensively reared animals.

Some of those i know but dont have much knowledge of. Ive never seen Burns on sale that cheaply. Its over £40 a sack around my area.

12. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I feed mine on chappie dried food. Its £15 for 15kg (I think)

Our vets recomended it for Max as he is very sensative to alot of foods and this one has been brilliant for him. Also it doesn't send him wappy like some do

I know not all dogs are the same on all foods, what is good for one isn't always good for another. :)

#12 dobermummy, Aug 6, 2009
  13. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Is there any way we can do a comparison of price and the ammount you actually feed? I know you have to feed a lot less of some of the more expensive foods than the cheap ones which means they aren't any more expensive on a meal by meal basis.

14. you would need the reccomended feeding amount per kg of dog, and then the cost per kg. Cost per kg is fine, but it would take a bit of time to find the feeding guidelines and interpret them for each food into amount per kg.

Still for someone who has the time to do it it would make interesting reading.

15. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Also amounts on packets are only recomended and often more than is needed. So that would make it harder to judge prices per serving.

Does anyone feed just raw food? I have read about it but still not 100% sold on the idea.

16. I have done! i switched to naturediet for only one reason, I go visiting family alot, and so packing the raw diet was a pain in the whotnot. Its also easier for holidays if people just have to open a packet than defrost and sort his dinners.

My cats are fed 99% raw though!

There is a lady on here cant remember her name - begins with K who can advise you more, she is very knowledgeable. Have a search for raw diets, or look in the classifieds section as i think she had an add up..

hope it helps

17. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

ahh sorry this wasnt meant to be indepth I just googled each of the brands and came up with the first price for 15kg
    heres the Burns one though
    Burns Alert Chicken & Brown Rice Dog Food 15kg
    I didnt meant to include any offers but it does look like a promotional one yes. Burns is usually around £37 on the offers i find :D Seems like quite a good one

18. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Thank you, will have a look about :D

19. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It's a popular food in the agility scene. CSJ have stands at a lot of agility shows, and their 'Command Performance' food has added glucosamine. They also do a range of herbal supplements. Yesterday I ordered a pot of 'Billy no Mates' which is supposed to be a good alternative to chemical flea and tick products to try. It was recommended by someone on the agility forum.
    CSJ's website tells you all you need to know about their range.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice