Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Prices For Dog Walking and House Sitting

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mr.stitches, Jul 23, 2009.

1. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Hi All

Some work may be in the pipe line for me, for dog walking and house sitting and I wondered what you all thought were decent prices.

With dog walking I charge £10 an hour, and an hour is the minimum I will take a booking for.

With the house sitting, with pets there too, im not sure how to work it. As I would be walking the dogs for about an hour a day anyway so thats £10 to start!

Just looking for thoughts and ideas, thanks!

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Not really sure but I know I couldnt afford to pay more than £20 a day and I have had housesitters at £10 a day. My dog walker charges £7 an hour but splits it so if it is just letting a pup out and playing for a few minutes it might only be £3

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I'm going to be starting up dog walking an it's going to be £6 an hour.
    I am also going to be dog sitting, as I will be insured to do so by the time I am needed, and will be getting payed £20 a day, for regularly walking round the corner to let them out for a pee, walk them two hour walks and a 15 min at lunch a day and feeding.

x

4. mr.stitches

Hy

Iv only ever done house and dog sitting for friends so its a bit different!

When you do the £20 a day one, are the people away on holiday, or just out at work all day?

Its a good way to earn some pennies and to meet different breeds of dog!

5. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

My brother pays £18 per night for his dog to stay at someone else's house, but I'm guessing that you're planning on staying in the client's house with the pet? If so, I think that £20 per 24hrs is reasonable.... if people want to pay for the reassurance of their pet staying at home and their property being protected, then I think that is a very generous price! However, I suppose it depends entirely at which end of the market you're aiming at. Just don't sell yourself for tuppence :)

What will happen with your dog whilst you're doing this? (I'm very nosey!)

6. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I just wanted to add to this thread because recently my husband called a dog walker we weren't bothered about the prices etc...

Just someone reliable and trustworthy, when I asked if they had been CRB checked they said they hadn't as they didn't need to be :eek:

Upon checking with the local council, they said there was nothing they could do about it as it's not as if dog walkers are looking after children :eek:

I'm sorry but this disturbed me, my dogs are MY children and I'd hate to think people were slipping through the net around here setting themselves up a business then walking off with peoples much loved pets :eek:

7. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

There is no regulatory body for dog walking or pet sitting, although some people are registered with NARPS and band this around like it is the be all and end all. In fact, all you have to do is pay a fee and have your name added to their list!!

I have Enhanced CRB Clearance but I know that non of the other walkers around here do.

8. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

Just wondering what an average dog walker / sitter charge?

In a few weeks time when my holiday time is up and i go back to work i will be looking at getting a dog sitter in to come and sit, play and let the dogs out for the toilet and to stay for around an hour each day how much per hour should i expect to pay?

Also what else do i look for in a dog sitter?

9. mr.stitches

I work with children and have had police checks for the last 7 years. Im not sure how I get hold of them though if people wanted to see them. I guess I just have word of mouth to go on from people who I have house and dog sat for.

If I did live in for the job, I would see how the dogs got on with mine and if they were ok I would bring her too. I would not leave them all together on their own though just in case a fight broke out

Now I am a dog owner myself ( I wasnt when I did most of my sitting and walking jobs) I know how hard it must be to find someone you trust. My friend always says im a god send as she knows her dogs love me, I love them, and care for them like theyre my own.

If you are looking for a pet walker/sitter I would ask family and friends first to see if they could help, if not I would ask around to see who other people use. Its a big thing to let a stranger use your home when your not there, to be in charge of your babies....I would be so nervous!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice