Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Prices For A Rescue

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Colsy, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Colsy

Colsy Banned

Been thinking how much would you pay for a rescue dog ?
    I have paid various prices for mine some high some low.
    Do you think it depends on the breed and where you get the dog from ?
    What is the highest they could charge do you think ?

2. RowanWolf

RowanWolf PetForums Member

I've always gone to the RSPCA and never questioned the price. It is to aid them in their work and help more animals.

3. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I've paid as little as £45 and as much as £120 makes no difference to me if it's the right dog.

4. I would say around the £150 mark would be a decent donaton.
    DT

5. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Most I have looked at are between £100 and £150. RSPCA is the cheapest I have seen at £85.

6. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

my parents rescue dog was £90 as she was a large cross breed the smaller ones were £60 and pedigrees no matter what size were £90

but this was 8yrs nearly 9 yrs ago so i think its go to around £130-£150 mark but i might be wrong

7. Following on to my reply above, I do think that the amount donated fr an older dog should b less.
    regards
    DT

8. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I think between £100 - £150 is about right altho i do know some rescues charge less for the older dogs. One rescue (can't remember which one) has a scheme where it is really cheap for an OAP to adopt an OAp dog.

9. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I adopted a 14 year old Collie cross a few years ago now (2003) we were asked for a nominal donation, so gave them £25 he wasn't with us for long for around 4 months we just wanted him out of the place it was cold and he was bady arthritic, so I'd like to think his last few months were nice and comfortable for him :) Heartbreaking when you do that though :(

10. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

They were both £100 which I thought was fair.

11. That was fabulous thing you did for him! At least the guy has some love in his twilight years! Would you do it again?
    love
    DT

12. Colsy

Colsy Banned

As you all may or may not know i have taken in a Toy Poodle yes a little one.
    He is 9 years old and never had a garden to play in.
    He lived with a old lady and they loved each other.
    The lady is now in care but i keep in contact.
    This little poodle i did not pay for and he is a monkey.
    I have 6 large dogs and he rules the house.
    He has bitten me and a few of my dogs.
    But i am getting there,i will teach an old dog new tricks.
    Most of my border collie rescued i paid £40, for Elmo i paid over £500 which was alot of money seeing he has medical problems.
    Elmo had 3 homes at 14 weeks and could not even walk,cried all the time and was not a dog.
    They wanted a £1,000 for him we had to barter.
    Elmo has come along way after all this and now is enjoying life the best Elmo can.
    He will never be in the tool box but we love him.

#12 Colsy, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  13. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I wouldn't hesitate in doing it again as I hate seeing old dogs in rescue especially ones like Phil our collie cross, his legs were so bad at the back he could hardly stand, his most favorite thing was pushing his face as close as it would go against our electric fan assisted fire in the conservatory :D I used to sit watching him in there and often wondered what kind of life he'd had :(

14. staflove

staflove PetForums VIP

Price is not an issuse to me, but i got kye and paid 100 for him i then had the casrtration fee then the injections, i took him earley as i was going away on holiday i could have left him at the pound but i paid for him to go to my kennels and get him out of there then he ate my house broke out of the crate he cost me a bomb i could have bought a good pedigree but i love him and would pay it all over again money is not an issuse but a happy little boy is very important and thats what he is :)

15. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

we ask for 120,includes,spayin/nuetrering,vaccs,microchip and 6 weeks insurance

16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

that sounds fair. I wouldnt want to pay more than a token amount if I had to pay for neutering and vaccinations on top.

17. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Our original rescue was abot £50 last year, but then it didnt work out and we got a puppy from them so gave them another £50. The pup had had its jabs and everything, and the rescue paid for us to have her spay, meds and check up when it was time.

I would always go for a rescue over a pup from a breeder as there are just so many that need homes.

18. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I'd expect to pay £150 or there abouts. Even if the dog was vaccinated, but not neutered, i'd be happy paying this, as they have overheads such as kennel fees, food, heating, cleaning equipment, wages, etc.

I wouldnt expect to get something for nothing.

19. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Max and Lilly cost 250GBP each. The reason the cost is so high is because of the cost of getting these dogs from Greece.

It was the best 500GBP I have ever spent x

20. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I would probably pay up to 250, as mentioned before they do have to pay overheads like kennels, food, staffing, jabs, behaivoural assessments...I would be happier giving £250 to a rescue than a breeder to be honest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice