Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Price of Dog Spay

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emma Kuma, May 21, 2010.

1. Emma Kuma

Emma Kuma PetForums Member

Thinking of getting my little bear done, was wondering prices etc & also pro's and con's of getting it done.

Vets said if i get it done before first season then she could be incontinent and if i get it done after then theres a risk of tumours :( neither sound nice!

Thanks x

2. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Different vets charge different prices so best ring around, Cheapest I got for Maya was £169 (although she's an adult dog). Good luck :D

3. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

risk of tumors will bloody be even if she is even if she is not spayed. I so detest the vets who try to sell things just for a bloody quick quid.

wait let kuma have her first season , that would mature her so much , wait till she has first season and 3 months later have her done .

The vets fees depends from a vet to another , mine charges under 31 kilos 135 , above 31 kilos 150 ish ...

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It's an easier operation for an immature bitch, which is one reason vets push it. Personally, I'd never spay an immature bitch without a very good reason to do so, if she were my girl, I'd let her mature, have two or three seasons first, at the very least one.

5. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

i feel the same.

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Every season they have increases their risk of cancer. I went for the one season then spay option with mine. That way the risk of tumors isnt greatly increased and you can be sure they are fully mtaure.

7. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

You'd be best to contact SpayWatch, they find the cheapest in your area. My friend paid £66!!

8. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

skye got spayed at 10months, before a season due to circumstances, she weighed 23kgs and it cost £140.

9. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

10. leashedForLife

oh, well in that case, lets just shoot the dog :eek: what a pile of poppycock!
    i sure hope U misunderstood him...

A - the Risk of urinary incontinence Post-Spay is Identical once the F-up is 16-WO / 4-MO,
    to that of bitches spayed at 6-MO or into adulthood - IOW, if she is older than 16-WO / 4-MO,
    there is *no added risk*. several vet-studies have now confirmed this fact.

B - her risk of mammary cancer - which i am Guessing? is the tumor-thing? -
    increases with each heat / estrus she experiences - spay *before* her first-estrus makes mammary-cancer near-impossible;
    her risk climbs approx 10% for each estrus/year, so one heat = 10%, 2-years or 3-heats intact = 20%, etc.

C - her risk of Pyometra and / or UTIs and / or false-pregnancy are also ongoing, so long as she is intact -
    as well as risks of cervical cancer, ovarian or uterine cancer, etc.

the younger the pup is desexed, the less blood-loss + scarring and the faster healing will be.
    surgeons do not mention :rolleyes: that every surgery leaves scars - which can be problematic themselves (adhesions, drawing
    or shrinking causing tension/pain, etc). minimal scarring means fewer future complications.

if the dog will be spayed anyway + is over 4-MO, i cannot see an advantage to waiting thru the 1st estrus -

here are nellybellys threads on Bellas first estrus + spay -
    Heat - Pet Forums Community

First time bitch owner - heat - Pet Forums Community

Seems endless already! Season help! - Pet Forums Community

My girl is growing up - Pet Forums Community

Might be visiting vet next week - Pet Forums Community

Is this a stupid thing to do? - Pet Forums Community

Does this need a vet? - Pet Forums Community

Bitch in heat - my experience so far - Pet Forums Community

Just got back from emergency vets - Pet Forums Community

Terrible evening - Pet Forums Community

Hopefully one of the last... - Pet Forums Community

Update on Bella: season and paw - Pet Forums Community

Flagging - Pet Forums Community

Bella is feeling better - Pet Forums Community

Don't know about Bella, but I need a doctor! - Pet Forums Community

Thick discharge - Pet Forums Community

Possibly the last season related question - Pet Forums Community

Spaying - Pet Forums Community

Will it ever shrink? - Pet Forums Community

Bella has mange - Pet Forums Community

No no no please not also this - Pet Forums Community

False pregnancy help - Pet Forums Community

Bella out and about again! - Pet Forums Community

Pet Forums Community - View Single Post - Emergency trip to the vet this afternoon

Bella mange, false pregnancy and spaying - Pet Forums Community

Bella spay on Wednesday 24th March! - Pet Forums Community

Having second thoughts - Pet Forums Community

Bella's out of surgery - Pet Forums Community

Bella is home:) - Pet Forums Community

Day 2 since spay - Pet Forums Community

Bella's stitches are out! - Pet Forums Community

that is the Norse Saga of Bella and her Womb -
    she had 3.5 weeks of swelling prior to first show, had a very long and painful discharge with LOADS of swelling,
    threw-up (no panties, cleaned incessantly + swallowed lots of mucoid, bloody discharge); flagged for bloody ever,
    cut a paw badly while running in a fenced dog-free zone to get some bottled-up energy out,
    had MANGE for 5 weeks of treatment, had a belessedly-short false-preg with toy nursing + boobs,
    and was finally spayed.

the spay + her recovery were a lot more uneventful + easier to cope with, than was her heat - which was mizrable
    for all concerned, especially poor Bella.

all my best,
    --- terry

#10 leashedForLife, May 21, 2010
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
  11. _Sara_

_Sara_ PetForums Member

Wow! I cant believe how expensive some of them were!

£50 is what I paid :thumbup:

12. leashedForLife

hey, sara! :--)

in an effort to reduce the surplus-pets problem,
    there has been a FREE desex clinic every Friday for a *year* in the Ocean View neighborhood of Norfolk,
    which is adjacent to cheap base housing and has lots of small single-family homes + small apt-buildings from the 1940s
    thru the 1960s, plus more recent condos, and small rental operations.

even with that my neighbor has an intact-Tom that she will not! be neutering -
    $%#$@! - because altho he is at-large 90% of the time, he cannot get pregnant -
    and any kittens he might produce are not her responsibility, right? :rolleyes:
    $%#@!**@$#@! , some PEOPLE... :mad5:

sick of cat-fights, spraying, screaming, caterwauling, scrawny kittens with crusty eyes,
    cat-sh*t in my yard, and all the bloody rest of it -
    --- terry

...who is BTW getting estimates of co$t to spay the neighbor... :thumbdown:

#12 leashedForLife, May 21, 2010
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
  13. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Heidi weighed 7.5k and cost £130. She had one season and was spayed 3 months later.

I agree with one season at least. (I kind of wish I had let her have another). Personally I feel it's far more important for them to mature. I was told the risk of mammary cancer spaying pre season is 1% and the risk after the first season 5%

14. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Breeze weighs 20kg and cost £190 for a spay and teeth de-scale at the same time, but because she was an adult it cost a bit more for her ;)

Also think i may as well add that our Welsh Collie was spayed after her 1st season and in later life suffered from incontinence, so i think it must depend on individual procedures and individual dogs.

15. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

Celia Hammond clinic does cut price neutering.

Neutering Your Pet - Celia Hammond Animal Trust UK Rescue Shelters

I had Jena spayed at one of Celia's clinics approx 10 years ago at cost of £40, my OH looked it up earlier, I think he said it was £75 now. Though I'm not sure how low income needs to be to qualify as low income.

16. comfortcreature

comfortcreature PetForums VIP

Just wanted to add to this that I as I own and have fostered/placed rescue ex-breeding bitches that were not spayed until long into their adulthood, it was very much a relief to read this at one point in time to assure me that my girls were not necessarily ticking timebombs waiting for cancer to set in.

The risk of mammary tumors in older intact female dogs is relatively high but research finds a 70% risk reduction for spaying even at 2.6-5.0 years of age.* Presumably the risk reduction is more than 70% in the low end of that range and less than 70% in the high end of the range.

* Sonnenschein EG, Glickman LT, Goldschmidt MH, McKee LJ, “Body Conformation, Diet, and Risk of Breast Cancer in Pet Dogs: A Case-Control Study”, American Journal of Epidemiology, 1991, Vol 133, No 7, 694-703

Body Conformation, Diet, and Risk of Breast Cancer in Pet Dogs: A Case-Control Study -- Sonnenschein et al. 133 (7): 694 -- American Journal of Epidemiology

Personally, when given the opportunity, I've waited until my females have matured through their first heat plus the three months afterward that allow hormones to settle. I have had one early spayed bitch that required lifetime management, and occasional infections, due to a recessed vulva that would most likely have corrected itself if she was allowed her first heat.

The decision, of course, has to depend on your own ability to manage a female in heat.

CC

17. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

The rescue I work at do outside neutering/spaying and at the moment the charge is £50 female-£40 males, no matter what the size or breed. maybe look around at some of the rescues they may have reduced costs spaying /neutering.

Mo

18. kez86

kez86 PetForums Newbie

hi i have a westie pup she is currently 6 week 7 sunday and was woundering if anyone knew roughly how much she would be to have spayed and at what age it should be done

19. leashedForLife

i cannot help with the cost-Q, hun - i am in the USA -
    but i would say 5 to 6-MO is fine.

is this puppy ALREADY with U, and away from her dam + sibs? :confused: if so, she should Go Back Home. 6-WO is too young -
    8-WO is far more apropos, and she will be less likely to have physical, emotional + behavioral problems.

re spaying -
    cheers,
    --- terry

20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Vets are quite split on whether to spay before or after the first season. I am afraid I do not agree with what Leashed for Life has to say on the subject. In this country I cannot imagine you would find a vet that would spay a bitch at 4 months old, it may happen in America but not here.
    The majority of experienced dog owners prefer to wait till the bitch has had one season because she is then mature in herself, has a mature vulva and a mature coat.

What the OP's vet told her is perfectly true. Bitches spayed before their first season are more likely to be incontinent and those spayed after the first season have marginally more chance of mammary tumours and have more chance after every progressive season. He is quite right to put the facts before you so you can make your own decision.
    Remember though that incontinence is a long term problem that could go on for years and need expensive treatment and management. Mammary tumours are relatively unlikely and occur in old age usually and do not always cause serious problems. Pyometra in unspayed bitches is relatively common and is life threatening.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice