Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Previous Owner Not Cooperating

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GeorgieSteve, Nov 27, 2019.

1. GeorgieSteve

GeorgieSteve PetForums Newbie

Hi, first time posting and need advice.

When I bought my dog from her previous owner they told me she was vaccinated and had a microchip. They forgot to give us the documents so they said they would post them. I haven't received the documents and they are now ignoring my texts. What can I do? I asked them to at least provide her vet's name and they won't respond.

How do I change her microchip details without them? Will I have to get her vaccinated again if I can't prove she has already had it? She is now 8 months old. Is there any service that can help me and speak to the owners on my behalf?

So angry about how little her previous family care for her. I thought they were decent and sad to give her up, clearly I have misjudged the situation.

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

If you contact the microchip company there is definitely a way around it. You might have to pay slightly more. Not sure about the jabs maybe get a general check up. What is the breed any idea of the original breeder ?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. MissKittyKat

MissKittyKat ❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️

Do you know if your dog is KC registered or the microchip log?

When we got Woody the previous owners wouldn't provide the chip details for a few weeks incase we changed our mind. They were a caring family!

We had to register the change of details and then the chip company contacted the previous owners. Not sure what would happen if they then didn't respond.

LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Did you actually see any documents? I'd have walked away if not. But you are where you are now and it could be safer to assume that the vaccinations should be started from scratch. Your vet should be able to scan for a chip - they may or may not be one. If there is one, you can get the chip number and contact the company it'd registered with; if not, just get one put in.

5. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I didn't have any documents for my collie, but if you know their breed, name (on microchip), and I think age? You can do a transfer of ownership, but it does warn it can be an problem if previous owners contest ownership - but in most cases that's unlikely.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice