Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Prevent breeding

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Bianca1182, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Bianca1182

Bianca1182 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, so will introduce myself first.

I'm Bianca, living with my partner and three kids in the Netherlands.
    Last summer we added our new Border-collie friend Pixel to our family. He's really the best! Playful, stubborn, sweet and caring. With his 7 months he's still a puppy trying to get things done his way of course. Our Pix has not been helped, but thus far this hasn't been an issue.

We recently came across a crossbreed Australian Shepherd x Border Collie, who we most likely will adopt. It's a 7 month old bitch not being helped either.
    For now and probably not ever, it's not the plan to breed with our dogs.
    Since they're both young and breeding is not really our expertise, I'm wondering what we can do to prevent them from breeding. I know that bitches won't get anticonception until after their first period. But I want to prevent her getting pregnant by accident, before she even got her shot. Definitely not at such a young age.

As long as there is no medical cause, we don't want them sterilized or castrated.
    So we're looking for the best option possible to prevent pregnancy before her first shot. Can't and will not keep them separated during the day, but can at night when there is no supervision.

Is there anyone who could advise me on this?

Thanks!

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If you cannot and will not separate them through the day, then your dog will mate your bitch and pregnancy will be the likely result.

You need to have them both neutered, when appropriate, but until then, when she is in season, you must separate them. Dogs can mate, literally, within seconds.

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Look in to ovarian sparing spay
    She won’t get pregnant or get pyo, but she’ll still have her ovaries and hormones.
    However, it’s worth seeing how she handles heats, if she has a false pregnancy and seems uncomfortable in heat I’d go ahead and spay for her well-being. Also it’s a lot to ask of a boy dog to have to live with a bitch in heat, worth noting how he handles it too, if he struggles, full spay may be the better option.

LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Bianca1182

I understand. Thank you for the response!
    Will have to look into ways to keep them off of each other I guess At least until she can have her anti conception.

With three kids I kinda know how it works with humans, but dogs and mating is not my cup of tea
    With not willing to keep them separated during the day, I meant I would keep an eye on them. But if it's really done in seconds, we'll look into other options. Since she is almost 8 months old, it won't be long until she had her first.
    So I guess we'll have to sit this out for a short period.

Do you think (might sound stupid) one of those diaper things might help for the time being? Need to get them anyway to prevent her to bleed on my sofa etc.

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You do need to be aware of how desperate and determined they will be to get together when your bitch is in her receptive time. Keeping an eye on them would simply mean you would observe the inevitable mating.

Yes, there are products you can buy if you want to contain blood loss.

LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and Sairy like this.
  6. Bianca1182

Thanks!
    Will definitely look into that.

7. Bianca1182

That's why I'm asking.
    We've never been in the situation of having two dogs, has always been just one. So non of these issues to deal with.

I understood that it's best for a bitch to wait with spay or anti until after her first heat. So it's basically the time before her first we need to cover.

8. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I'd find a friend or family member to take your boy until she's finished her season. It will be much safer if they are separated as a dog will literally chew through walls to get to a bitch who is ready to mate.

Calvine, LinznMilly, O2.0 and 3 others like this.
  9. Bianca1182

Hmm I'm coming back on my previous comment about spay before her first heat. I asked the current owner if she was sterile, but she came with this argument. Took it for truth, which was foolish I guess. Especially since we're saving this girl from a ' I want a dog because since Corona I got plenty of time, but it's more work than we thought kinda owner'

I'm actually really starting to hate these type of people. They are the reason the dog 'market' is overheated and over priced.

However, also read that spay is better than the so many monthly shots because bitches might get all sorts of issues from it. So I guess we'll go for that as soon as possible.

Just read into it a bit

Burrowzig likes this.
  10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Spaying is definitely the best thing you can do for you bitch and, while many people prefer to spay after one season, lots of people spay earlier too. Given your circumstances I think spaying before her season is a sensible choice.

Have you considered the potential difficulties of having two ‘teenaged’ dogs at the same time in a few months? Often all the training goes out the window and the sweet puppy you had makes you want to tear your hair out!

LinznMilly, O2.0 and Lurcherlad like this.
  11. Bianca1182

Really appreciate all your kind replies! It's not that we're new with dogs, but new with two dogs of different gender It's not like you can say, hey guys you are not allowed each other! Although I've seen Borders do more difficult tricks than this

12. Bianca1182

Oh yes! We've been thinking this through. That's one of the reasons we are now considering a somewhat older pup. Especially the first couple of months are hard when they need to be potty trained.
    (sorry for my sometimes strange descriptions, not really familiar with all the English terms yet)
    Home alone training and all the basics.
    Since we can sort of skip that bit, we can focus on the mental and physical training. We'll take them both to puppy/young adult class and if they like we'll look into sports or other collie activities.

It's not 100% certain yet she will come to us. I'm meeting them on Sunday to check her out and see if our Pixel can get along with her. That's our main focus for this first visit. If they don't get along, it won't happen. I'm not putting our dog in a position which might cause problems. After all he has been through he doesn't deserve that. Our Pix comes first.

And besides all that, we've got three kids.. Got no hair left on my head already

13. Bianca1182

One other question, nothing to do with breeding or preventing..

It is our first adopt, and we really don't like the Disney name she has now so we want to rename her. Should we try to find something suitable within the same sound-vibe kind of thing. God knows how to put that in English..
    Or do you think she might get used to any name we give her?

14. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

She should get used to any name you want to call her just fine. My dogs have their proper names and then all sorts of weird nicknames which they respond to just as well :D

Lurcherlad, lorilu and Bianca1182 like this.
  15. Bianca1182

Yeah true when you think about it. Our Pix also listens to most names. If he really doesn't listen to any of them we can always fall back on 'lekkers?' Dutch for treats /cookies /nice things. He will always fall for that.

We usually call him bone monster, though in Dutch it sounds better.

Guess we will start thinking of something to match with Pixel. Not a ver common name for dogs, but we kind of fell for it.

Sarah H likes this.
  16. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

Our Ozzy is frequently called Oz, Ozark, Ozyrys and few not so nice namesgood luck with your new addition x

17. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Give her a new name by all means.

Dogs easily adapt to a new name.

Bianca1182 likes this.
  18. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Okay, reading the OP and thread more carefully, I think you have a couple of things to consider here.
    You're looking at having two young dogs at the same time. That's generally not advised. The usual advice is to let your first dog mature completely both physically and mentally, and be mostly confident with his training and your relationship. Which means he would be around 2 years old, even 3.

Raising two dogs around the same age through doggy adolescence is not for the faint of heart. And with 3 kids in the mix you will have more than your hands full.
    Kind of morbid, but also know that with dogs that close in age, you're also potentially looking at losing them both around the same time. That's something to consider also. I have had many elderly dogs over the years, and it's nice to be able to dedicate all my extra efforts to just the one 'oldie' rather than having to juggle the needs of two oldies.

As I mentioned earlier, some bitches really do struggle with heats, hormones, false pregnancies etc., and they are so much happier spayed. Some bitches are totally fine and even have what's called silent heats where you don't even know that they're in heat. The latter can be problematic if there is an intact dog in the mix because she may be so 'silent' that you don't realize she's in heat until you find the two of them tied.

Personally I would not ask a male dog to have to live with a bitch in heat. Many people make arrangements for the male to go live with a friend or even board the dog for the duration of the female's heat. Most dogs can tolerate having to behave around a bitch in heat for shorter periods of time, but asking an intact male to live with a bitch in heat is a big ask. Many boys pine and go off their food, and fret enough to make themselves quite literally sick.
    If the bitch is new to you, this would be a very stressful way to introduce her to the household so soon in the relationship.

And finally, I would be extremely wary of any rescue who is adopting out intact dogs. It's not good practice and I would wonder what else the rescue is leaving out or if they're even a legitimate rescue and not a front for a dog flipping business.

Sarah H, Boxer123 and McKenzie like this.
  19. Bianca1182

We really will. Can't deal with the cheesy Disney name

20. Bianca1182

Like I've already mentioned, we will have her spayed asap. If we will go through with this.
    Don't worry about the kids, they're not really a hand full and believe me when I say that if we think we can't handle it, we wouldn't even consider it.

And I agree about being weary. We are! We will tick all boxes before we even continue. If she can't show us all the vaccination papers or other documents, we won't go through.
    And besides that, she will need to match with the dog we already have.

We will have her spayed for sure. She is a crossbreed and our dog is a full pedigree? Border collie, if that is the correct term . If we would consider to breed with him, it would definitely not be with an crossbreed.

She's not here yet, for now she is an option we're considering. And like I said, Pixel is our main care.
    Let's meet her first and see if she is OK.

Also a bit morbid.. Pix should have been dead already
    The little moron escaped and fought a car. The car lost.. Pix nearly died, but miraculously survived. We should not think about it, but at that time he was lying there the vet asked us to make a decision.. End it there or try save him without any certainty he would make it through the night. And the fact it would drain our bank account..
    Since he's still here, and we're kinda poor at the moment it's not hard to guess what we chose. Knowing what we know now, I'm glad we pushed through.

#20 Bianca1182, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice