Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Present idea - new puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Scouttie, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Senior

My nephew is finally getting a puppy after years of his parents debating and planning.

it is a working cocker spaniel and he will be getting it in six weeks. He doesn’t know yet, incase something goes wrong.

so ideas for a super present for him for the puppy. I had intended to enrol him in a kids and puppy class but social distancing might still be a thing.

what else would an eleven year old boy love for his new pup? (I know nothing about dogs).

lorilu likes this.
  2. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

How exciting for the family :)

For gift ideas maybe some interactive brain games for him to play with the pup (there are slightly easier versions for puppies), or some fun training for puppies book with a clicker, whistle, and treat bag (with a gift card type thing for future training classes perhaps)

The training classes you mentioned sound perfect, shame it's at this time when they might not be happening.

Scouttie likes this.
  3. Eejay

Eejay PetForums Member

We got our puppy in January, so for Christmas we put presents for the dog in my 10 year old son’s stocking- I think I bought a ball, a squeaky bone, a soft toy and a brush. Perhaps you could try the same sort of gifts in a hamper/ wrapped shoe box.

Scouttie likes this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

How about the book Easy Peasy Puppy Squeezy? It gets great reviews.

Sarah H, Duggee and urbantigers like this.
  5. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

I saw this thread and was going to recommend this book also. I’ve recently bought a copy in preparation for getting a puppy and think it would appeal to an 11 year old. It’s written in very straight forward language and would be a great introduction to training a puppy, especially if puppy training classes aren’t available.

Scouttie and JoanneF like this.
  6. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Senior

Great ideas. I think I will get the book now, and then a hamper of fun stiff when the puppy arrives.

7. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

Maybe not suitable until the puppy is a little older, but my kids aged 8, 12 and 15 all love the ball thrower... possibly more than the dog! They fight over who gets to lob the ball with it! And perhaps you could do a little online shopping with him for puppy things? I know one of the best things about getting a puppy for my kids was being able to buy toys for her - silly things like squeaky bananas, and choosing blankets for her bed etc.

You may be able to find online puppy training classes suitable for kids... I know the trainers we used set up some puppy classes via Zoom at the start of lockdown for those who had already booked.

8. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

All our puppy classes have restarted but are very busy.... Easy Peasy puppy Squeezy is an excellent gift as well

9. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Definitely an appropriate sized Kong for stuffing! You could buy a matching lightweight collar and lead, a puppy line might be good (as well as an ID tag too as you know their address). Puppies grow quickly so although they might want to buy a nice collar/lead themselves pup will soon grow out of the one you get but it's a nice little gift.
    Slow feeder bowl or other puzzle feeder, a treat pouch for training, treats, clicker, whistle, treat tin, soft brush to get him used to being groomed, nail clippers, etc, the sort of stuff people don't necessarily get straight away but find out they need after they've had pup a while.

Kakite likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice