Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Preparing to help an old dog through winter

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Giraffe76, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Giraffe76

Giraffe76 PetForums Member

Hi all,

Im getting prepared for the colder months with my 10 year old minature yorkshire terrier as hes licking his paws and legs alot which tells me he has arthritis so i was wondering what i can do to help him through the colder months?

Kind regards Mark

2. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Does he get any supplements at all?

There's loads that are really good for arthritis - glucosamine, crondroitin, green lipped mussel, devils claw to name a few!

Do his paws get bothered by the salt on the roads / pavements?

When Ben got really old (and his paws weren't in the best of shape and were cracked etc), the salt really hurt. I'd always wipe his feet with a wet cloth and dry them when we got in and if it was prolonged ice / snow then he had boots (which he hated but did the job!)

I'd also recommend a good coat - many dogs don't need them - but small / old dogs often really appreciate the extra warmth and especially not getting soaked through

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Has he been properly diagnosed with arthritis? Licking paws and legs a lot although can be a sign of discomfort or pain, can also be due to other things too.

If he has been diagnosed with arthritis, then personally I have found a supplement called Mobile Bones to be very good. As he is a Yorkshire terrier the amount needed daily would be pretty minimal so a pack would last for ages and be very cost effective.

If you want to read more on it.

Mobile Bones | Pooch & Mutt

4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

This. Plus 10 isn't that old for a Yorkie - as far as dogs go, they are often one of the oldest living breeds. So it's worth checking with a vet re: arthritis.

5. Hanlou

Hanlou PetForums VIP

I'd agree with this too. :)

To answer the question - as has been said there are several supplements you can use. I don't supplement Whisper (my Rough Collie - she's now 9 1/2) during summer but have started to give her supplements now to get them into her system to prepare her for winter.

I use Glucosamine + Chondroitin, Turmeric (standardised supplement from H&B), Mobile Bones and I ordered some Omega 3 capsules from Natures Harvest by mistake lol so she's on those too. Definitely seemed to help her through last winter.

I use oil for her fur when it's snowy and use PAWZ boots for her feet in very bad snow and frost.

She doesn't need a coat but I will be getting a coat for my small breed dog (Pomeranian cross) as he does feel the cold and being so close to the ground gets affected by wet weather much quicker.

6. Giraffe76

Giraffe76 PetForums Member

He hasnt been diagnosed with arthritis but my wife (who has had dogs all her life) has said its arthritis so im trying to forward plan.

He doesnt get any suppliments at the moment.

What sort of coat would be good for him?

If im honest he doesnt go for a walk much but when he does go for a walk he doesnt seem to bothered by the snow or salt.

7. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Amber my goldie is just a year younger and she's still acting as normal as she's ever done. Even if its not arthritis at the moment, it doesn't do any harm to give some supplements, Amber is now on Arden grange senior with the supplements mentioned above added in as we want to protect her joints going into older age. Its helping to keep her lean too which is important as any extra weight will not help her joints.

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Another mobile bones vote here.

It's excellent stuff. My dog has a recurring minor limp and mobile bones sorts it almost immediately whereas anything else I've tried hasnt.

She's full of life on it. My cats have had it when they got a bit stiff in their old age, same great results.

I think you can get a sample from pooch and mutt. Because you Yorkie would only want a small dose, there's a good chance you'd see an improvement before it's gone.

9. SleepyBones

SleepyBones Banned

I never thought 10 was very old for a yorkie.

I use glucosamine, but it is a food extract not a medicine, as far as 'arthritis' itself goes it does nothing, but, to much, in fact far to much, is put down as arthritis, most of the time the stiffness (for want of a better word) is caused by lack of glucosamine.

It is basically a lubricant which joints etc need to keep them lubricated for movement/friction, the joints on us, dogs & other mammals have to be lubricated so aches etc don't occurr, it has a very similar function to parts if cars which need oil to keep them moving smoothly, glucosamine does that, I start my dog on it about 4 YO, she is 10 years almost 9 months now, which is ancient for a Dobe, her joints & movement are non impaired at all, the breed life expectancy is 10-11 years.

I take random vid clips as a personal vid diary type thing, the vid below was a couple of days ago, Sept 18th I think, 10 years 9 months, just concentrate on the walking movement theres no impairment at all & I put that down to glucosomine supplements (as well as breeding), about 60 secs in it shows walking movements quite clearly.

1 and 2 5 and 7 MP - YouTube

10. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

I would still have a vet visit to rule out other things just in case
    I plan to take my 10 year old rescue to the vets once a year for a check over and MOT

My 10 year old is old looking and acting for her breed, Chinese Cresteds can be very long lived, My Percy has relatives in their twenties
    But each dog can be different no doubt, like humans. Some of us look great at 80, others like they've had it by 60.

Vet visit and if confirmed arthritis consider hydrotherapy, cartrophen injections (discuss with vet)

Or if a lower level like my 10 year old you may be able to get it comfortable under control with supplements
    I am using Mobile bones and phytoforce mobility for her. It has got her completely off of the metacam and running around like a two year old.

Also consider that she may need to be kept warmer, clothes may help (depending on the lengh of her coat, dont want to matt it)
    My absolute favourite dog clothes maker is Liza at Ibisco canine boutique, just send her a message and she is so helpful
    Ibiscoboutique | Bespoke items for the discerning dog

Best of luck

Vicki

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice