Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Preparing for my little kittens arrival (UwU)

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by pillowdo, Mar 27, 2019.

1. pillowdo

pillowdo PetForums Junior

So as the title says.. I'll be receiving a cat soon (almost 1 month from now) and I want to make sure the cat is 100% ready to move in. so I'll be posting everything here in case there's something I should be recorrected/noted about!

(before we move on, I'll be referring to my sister's friend a lot, so let's just call her "Emily")
    The kitten's currently 1 month old (male) and I'll be reciving him from Emily (my sisters friend) after 1 month ( 2 m old ). I've made some research about when a kitten can leave her mother, the recomanded age is 3 m's. while they average at around 2 m's so I'll be getting him at an acceptable age and yet, I've informed my sister and told her to tell Emily to hold onto the cat for an extra month or atleast half a month ontop of the orignal 1 month if that's possibly, still havent recived a reply so I'll be making a follow-up.

Breed:

This is quiet the situation honestly... Emily says and I quote "their mother is 'Shirazi' and so we decided to get a male Shirazi as well, but the kittens look more 'Himalayan', and so I think their mother is either hybridize or one of her grandfather's was a Himalayan"

yea, honestly I was speechless as well... but she did provide us with some photo's of both parents and the kitten that we'll be getting
    (The mother is the white one, The father is the orange one, the kitten we are getting is also white. there isn't a photo of all his sibilings in there)
    --- Photo's ---

Kitten's space:
    The kitten will be living on the 3rd floor of our villa, and his rest area / food / water / need's ...ect will be put inside my room ~(I rarly use it besides for sleeping/changing)~ but she will still have access to the intere 3rd floor. and the reason behind keeping his essentials inside a room is just incase he feels uneasy or uncomftrible (around the people / The temperature / or what ever the reason maybe be) at the 3rd floor she could just go back in my room where no one can go in. that room is also connected to it's own bathroom so the cat can finish her business in there.

and on that note, I'm planning on making my rooms door only accesible by me and the cat before she arrives, currently I have 1 idea in mind to make this possible, but if you have any idea's to make this possible that'd be nice.
    (besides the Square door cut please) (just to clear any misunderstanding, the cat is free to roam in and out of the room when ever she feels like it, but she does not have the ability of leaving the 3rd floor, that's it)

Kitten's Equipment /Toys / etc...

so besides the basics I'm planning on getting him..

am I forgetting anything?
    kitten's diet

I've heard that a kittens (less then 1 y.o ) can't get overfed consdering how rapid their body is growing/consuming energy to grow so offering unlimited food shouldn't cause issues until they are over one year old, at that point it should be setted depending on her weight / body fat %
    I've also heard that cat's for some reason don't like having their water supply and their food supply near each other so I'll serperate those

Cat's habit's / training
    one of the biggest pro's of getting a kitten is that you can get them used to something cat's aren't usually comfertable with.
    and I want to get him used to mainly...

• Taking Baths
      • clipping his nails

my Father has alleriges around cats in general but he relised that it stops when they take a bath. I did some reasearch and long story short, I'm supposed to give the kitten a bath every day (just for the sake of him getting used to it at the beginning) while giving him treats before & after the bath so he feels like he's getting payed / it's a positive act!
    (I do understand cat's don't need to have bath's that often at all! but it's for the sake of his allerigies not to mention unlike grown cat's, with proper care/act, kittens can find taking baths (or water in general) a very enjoyable experiance. while cat's normally might find it terrifying if not Traumatizing!

as for "Do you know The proper way of giving a kitten a bath?" I've watched this video just to make sure my technique is accure, if you guys have any more videos/post and you feel like I should read about this matter then please! I'm all ears! o-or eye's to be accurete...

if you've read all the way till here then you have my eternal gratitude! and please feel free to tell me if I'm being ignoremnt on a sertin point, or else what would be the point of this post!

2. Pixie_Tinker_Bell

Pixie_Tinker_Bell PetForums Senior

Hi, and welcome to the forum! I'm raly sorry as I've not read all your post in detail as I'm just passing through quickly. Having got a kitten myself last year a few things struck me that I thought I'd pick up on.

You mentioned that you'd like to leave your kitten as long as possible with its mum, that would be ideal. I tried this with my kitten only to discover when I picked her up (early) her mum had already been adopted out :/ Hopefully as it's a family friend communication might be better for you but definitely make sure if you're leaving your kitten longer it's because he's having quality time with his mum.

Other thing I noted was that you mentioned your kitten will only have access to the 3rd floor of your home. Is this where you spend most of your time? I had set up a whole safe room for my kitten but within 10 minutes of coming home she wanted more! Because we had another cat I ended up spending 3 weeks in my 'office' because the kitten NEEDED company, over a year on and she still needs to be near me when I'm at home, if I close a door on her she gets very distressed. Whatever you plan, please ensure your kitten will always have access to a human and not be locked away from people in the home.

It sounds like you're doing lots of preparation and taking into consideration what your baby will need, I really hope he settles well, good luck!

MaggieDemi and pillowdo like this.
  3. pillowdo

Thanks for the reply @pixie_Tinket_Bell !
    oh yes! I have my office setup there, so I spend at least 90% of my time on the 3rd floor!

4. MaggieDemi

MaggieDemi PetForums VIP

I would get some cat wipes instead of bathing. Cats really hate baths and I don't think it's good to bathe them too often.
    I didn't see litterbox and litter on your list, so maybe add that to the list.
    Your kitten is very cute, I think he looks like some type of Persian.

pillowdo likes this.
  5. pillowdo

I've mentioned that at the beginning :0
    I covered this as well, cat's do hate taking bath's but getting them at a young age to get used to bath's is probably the best solution out there, with proper technique you can get a cat/kitten to enjoy bath time because they'll be excited for the treats after the bath! then there's the proper way of giving a cat/kitten a bath. I can talk about this exact point for a while but I've already covered all of this, in case you want to read it in more detail.

6. MaggieDemi

MaggieDemi PetForums VIP

Okay, I just thought you might like to know about the cat wipes, I've read that people with allergies have had success with them...

pillowdo likes this.
  7. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Personally, I wouldn't bathe a kitten or cat. And certainly not everyday!

If your father has allergies and bathing the poor thing every day is the only solution, I would be getting a goldfish...

Joy84, MissMiloKitty, Arny and 4 others like this.
  8. pillowdo

Hello, and thanks for the reply!

I see where you're coming from, in most cases cats hate water, getting an adult cat to get used to taking bath's can be a very hard if not stressful thing for the cat

but it is possible to make a kitten get used to it, matter a fact even have fun while taking a bath. but they must be young (3 - 4 months) is ideal.

as for is being unhealthy every day, I did some research and here's what I got... "If cats are bathed too often, they may lose essential oils from their fur..." and just like humans, taking baths too often will lead to the same thing. so, in conclusion, I'll be giving the kitten a bath every other day instead.

as for my father's allergies, I will be cutting her baths to NONE after 2 years, because I'll be moving out with my little fellow by that time!

TL;DR: he will be taking a bath once every other day, he won't be taking baths after 2 years. and with proper technique and age, cat's can actually enjoy taking baths.

9. pillowdo

really? even the allergies? then I'll definitely give them a shot!

MaggieDemi likes this.
  10. MaggieDemi

MaggieDemi PetForums VIP

pillowdo likes this.
  11. pillowdo

MaggieDemi likes this.
  12. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I found this article which should be helpful.
    https://www.jacksongalaxy.com/blog/how-often-should-i-bathe-my-cat/
    My husband has some allergic response to cats,we found a bath the cat joined the family was enough to keep his reaction at bay. It's also worth knowing that a lot of pet allergens are in the saliva rather than the fur.
    I really don't think your kitten is going tolook forward to a bath in anticipation of a treat afterwards, they aren't capable of such thought processes.
    As @MilleD says, is it fair on your father or the cat to live like that ? Why not wait until you have your own place ?

13. MaggieDemi

MaggieDemi PetForums VIP

I love those grooming gloves! I'm going to buy a pair for my cats. Thanks for sharing!

pillowdo likes this.
  14. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

Cats hate water and bathing is extremely traumatic for them. I use kitty wipes, they are very good.

15. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Baths are not traumatic for cats.

Cats shouldn't be bathed any more than fortnightly, as it strips oils from their coat. Any more than that, on a frequent basis, will cause skin and fur problems.

I am concerned that this kitten isn't registered, and it doesn't look like a Persian (shirazi) or a Himalayan.

You will not be able to bath an 8 week+ old kitten this way. They will be far bigger than the kittens in this video, and you will not be able to flip them upside down.

You will need to use a shower head, put the kitten on all fours, and wash that way. Hold the front paws up together in one hand to get access to the tummy.

Re food, Persians/Himalayans are a slow developing breed so will need kitten food for longer. I get the impression you're not in the UK, have you got access to premade raw food, or can you make your own? In a hotter climate its much better for them, it helps them stay hydrated better.

pillowdo and spotty cats like this.
  16. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@pillowdo
    I agree, daily bathing would be too harsh. Try the wipes. Also people with allergies use vacuums with HEPA filters I think.
    Frequent cleaning helps.

Being an only kitten, he will need lots of play and attention. Get wand toys and kicker type toys, for him to play with as well as balls to chase.

I like the parents look, are they tradional doll face Persians (Shirazis)?

pillowdo likes this.
  17. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

No it’s not traumatic at all. As someone who’s done hundreds of baths with cats busy chasing bubbles down the drain it’s fun not trauma :rolleyes: Many cats love water, playing in the sink, shower, water fountains.
    The OP will also be bathing their kitten from a young age, though I do agree the frequency is a concern as is someone in the home having allergies.

Also as they’re supporting a byb it’s unlikely the required health tests for Persians have been done :(

pillowdo and Rufus15 like this.
  18. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Personally I think the OP should have waited until they have moved out to get a cat or kitten. Plans have a habit of changing.

I agree if bathed from an early age the kitten will be used to it, and also that even every other day is far, far too often.

lorilu likes this.
  19. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

A himalayan is another word for a (colourpoint) Persian cat. A quick Google has revealed that 'Shirazi' is Persian for Persian.

If you family is allergic to cats? Is struggle to think of many worse ideas than getting a Persian - bath or no bath. Infact, bathing and drying a Persian usually causes more hair around the house than anything else.

Bathing a cat like a Persian is fine if they have been used to it since they were tiny kittens, assuming you do it correctly ( emphasis on correctly, my 3 are all good as gold in the bath, but the first time I tried was an utter disaster and I rang their breeder afterwords on the verge of tears) but the idea of bathing a cat everyday is literally insane

#19 Smuge, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  20. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Please wait until you have your own home before getting a kitten. This doens't sound like a very nice life for the poor little one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice