Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Prep for probably getting 2 shelter cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ArwenLune, May 12, 2010.

1. ArwenLune

ArwenLune PetForums Senior

This is kind of a weird situation... I've found the perfect bonded pair of shelter cats, but they're a 2-hour drive away. I'm driving up there on friday to meet them, and if it works out and we all like each other, they will be coming home with me.

If it doesn't work out, it's likely that I won't find another cat or pair that suits my situation so perfectly in months, so for that reason I'm not really eager to buy lots of stuff for them before they get here.

I still have a litter box from a feline guest who stayed here a few years ago, so I will make sure I have litter and some food in the house, but the rest I will probably buy when they get here (there's a petshop 3 mins walk away, so that could be within hours of their arrival) or order when I get home.

Have I forgotten anything I will need to have the moment they get here?

- Litter box (only one - will have to figure out if they're happy sharing one; I think the shelter will be able to tell me)
    - 1 travel box I can borrow (I think I'll have to buy the other one before I go)
    - bowls - planning to use crockery until I figure out if they're happy to eat from the same feeding station
    - food - just getting a small bag until I know what they're used to having
    - two cardboard boxes with blankies to sleep in - will get nicer beds when I figure out what they like

Anything I've forgotten? Any advice for doing a 2 hour drive with two cats?

2. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

I wouldnt get food yet unless you can guarentee to get the same brand and flavour as they are currently being fed.

Small bottle of feliway and possibly (although expensive) a feliway diffuser. Alternatively some rescue remedy to help deal with the stress.

3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

sorry forgot to add..

for the drive..

a cat friendly cleaning spray, and some kitchen towel to deal with any accidents along the way xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice