Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Premature Whelping!??

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Leanne1989, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Leanne1989

Leanne1989 PetForums Junior

My chihuahua bitch is 55 days today and her plug has come away. Now im away....she normally( this is her 3rd litter) delivers at 56/57 days and has extremely healthy pups. I am concerned to be honest and have called the vet already aswell as calling an extremely experienced breeder who have both said to just wait and see how it turns out. She doesn't seem badly agitated but like i said her plug has come away. Any advice or stories very much appreciated!!
    Thanks xx

2. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Hi, dont worry, This has happened to me before. Ive noticed a loss of plug a couple of days before labour so if your bitch hangs on a couple more days it would make it about right for her.
    Keep an eye out for anything else from the back end though, especially dark stuff as this would indicate a breakdown of the placentas. If you do notice anything else coming from her then run her down the vet so they can check if she's dialated.
    Please let us know how she gets on.
    Best wishes.

3. Leanne1989

thanks bullbreeds...how were the puppies? she has had 2 previous litters and they have all been fine but this is a new stud dog so im fretting a bit!!
    leanne x

4. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

All my babies have grown up now. Im expecting another litter soon tho.
    I wouldnt worry, its like people, each pregnancy and labour can be different.
    Perhaps you'l keep us informed over the next few days. I'd like to hear how she's getting on.

5. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

hope everything goes well as it probably will, I love chihuahuas I have a 10 bitch called Tash, they are great little dogs, best of luck:)

6. Leanne1989

Stayed up with her last night...just in case!! although she calmed right down after about midnight and pretty much slept through the night with the odd squirm of discomfort. I could feel the puppies having a right party but she is very relaxed and has had breakie and mid morning snack today so im not concerned. I think its going to be ok!!

7. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Thats good news :)
    Sounds like she's just preparing for labour.

8. Leanne1989

yeah its this part i hate...i get all excited and then she falls back to sleep!!:D:D

9. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Tell me about it. I go through the same thing every time! :D:D

10. I recognise the simptoms!!!:D:D:D

11. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hope all goes well,, please keep us poted as to how things go,,,,,lorraine:):)

12. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

thats great news, good luck:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice