Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Premature puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bubsagogo, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Bubsagogo

Bubsagogo PetForums Newbie

Hello, I have been on a wait list fir a while now to get my puppy from a reputable breeder. Sadly the dam was rushed in for a c-section on the advice of a vet when the pups were only just above viable age. The pups are starting to do well and are feeding from mother but still requiring close attention as they are about a week old now. My question is this - are these pups more likely to have health issues when they are older? Should I request to wait for another litter? I’m not sure if they got mother’s milk in the first 24 hrs. Thanks

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

As long as the breeder is a good breeder then I wouldn't worry. They may be a bit more human orientated if they have been partially hand reared, but they will soon catch up when it comes to development. As long as Mum is looking after them, and especially if she's an experienced mum, then I'd not worry. If they come from healthy dogs with health good health test results then they shouldn't be any more unhealthy than if they'd been born to term.
    I have experience with a couple of premature pups and at a year old honestly they are like any other annoying nutty cocker spaniel.

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

What breed are they? Did they give a reason for the premature c-section?
    Hopefully not health related and you can have a normal, healthy pup!

LinznMilly likes this.
  4. Bubsagogo

Bubsagogo PetForums Newbie

Thanks both. No concerns about the breeder and this was planned as the dam’s last litter so she’s an experienced mum. I feel better knowing she went to 57 days (thought it was less) and with your assurances. The c-section was recommended by a vet who only scanned 2 heartbeats and was clearly not very experienced with the machine. Poor dogs put through it for nothing...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice