Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pregnant stray

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by marianne, Jul 8, 2009.

1. marianne

marianne PetForums Member

Hello! My daughter and I have spotted a stray cat wolfing down food we leave in our garage for one of our cats. We think she may be pregnant. She looks to be around a year old. We think she's a stray because she runs away when we try to approach her. Does anyone have any suggestions for us? We would like to keep food out there for our cat and for her since she looks thin except for her belly. Can't tell how far along she is(if she is pregnant) and wonder where she'll have her kittens. My daughter works at our Vet so if she has kittens, hopefully we will find them and bring them to the Vet. Really not sure what is the best thing to do. We seem to be a haven for stray animals!

2. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

cant really suggest anything..if you cant get near her then you wont be able to get her...shel need to build your trust...poor thing...

As for her having her kittens (if she is pregnant) she might feel safe enough to have them in the garage if not then it will be out there somewhere...

You have to try really hard to get her to trust you...maybe take a box or cat carrier with you everytime and when you finally stroke her for a bit then grab her and put her in there...

3. marianne

Thank you! We have a storage room in the garage. I'll keep it open a bit and maybe she'll go in there. Sweet looking calico kitty. You right about the trust issue. It might take some time, but we'll give it our best!

4. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Thats all you can do really...iv just rescued 2 pregnant cats, and one of them had a real issue with trust, but over the week she has started to venture out from behind the sofa and sit next to me...Its just a time thing...some cats do get more friendly whilst pregnant so hopefully she will..

be a horrible thing for her to have the kittens outside somewhere....

5. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

does she look healthy in all other aspects? If she is a stray she may have a serious case of worms. that tends to make them look really skinny but bloated. otherwise yes she may be pregnant, hopefully you can build her trust to take proper care of her. best of luck.

6. marianne

She looks healthy from a short distance. We have only been able to look at her through the window into the garage. Her coat seems good. We put a whole can of food plus some dry. She eats the whole can at once like she's never seen food before the poor baby. I have several cat beds I can put out there. Maybe she'll try one. We have spotted coyotes and foxes in the area at times and we're afraid for her. If she does have kittens, there is a Vet Tech at our veterinarian that cares for kittens and their moms. Hopefully if she does have them we'll be able to bring them to her.

7. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

yeh she either has worms or is pregnant to eat the food like that...its a shame you cant go near her tho...yeh try a bed..is there anyway you can lock her in the garage when shes in there? does she come everyday?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice