Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pregnant stray

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by belle&beau, May 25, 2010.

1. belle&beau

belle&beau PetForums Junior

ive been feeding a stray for a while she came unnourished and full of flea's , ive sorted her out for the past few weeks, ive been away with work for awhile and came back to see that shes pregnant,
    i can feel kittens in her tummy and sometime her tummy moves loads, shes not that big,her nipples are very swollen and shes passing alot of wind,
    ive heard to try feed her some kitten food,
    shes staying here quite regualy now and gets on with my cats fine,

if i can feel the kittens kicking am i expecting an arrival soon?
    as im deploying away with work in a week or so, and id love to try sort this cat out,id class her as one of my cats now and im looking to get her sprayed straight after birth...

any advice would be appriciated, coming from a bloke whose always had dogs before ....

can anyone point me in the right direction..

cheers Garry

2. belle&beau

p.s shes sleeping loads and is not attempting to leave the house

3. steph2010

steph2010 PetForums Junior

Hi there,

I am in the same situation but my cat is not a stray and she is about 7 weeks pregnant, from what i have read from here you will have about 2 weeks at the most from when you saw and felt the kittens move but some people have said that there nipples can swell quite close to when they are getting close...

As i said i dont know very much about all this but i hope this helps you..

steph

4. doliglwt

doliglwt Banned

Hi Garry

A kitten diet would be so good for her right now, a high protein diet will help her and her kittens loads over the next weeks.

She'll need a cardboard box with bedding and cut a little door so she can step out to eat and toilet, while kittens are safe inside. Dark inside, as eyes are shut for a reason, they're not fully developed. A dog crate would be really handy if you have? with box, food, water and litter tray safe inside ...or a separate room from your other pets? I appreciate they're friends now but she coud be frightened soon with babies to think about =^_^=

Feel free to email me if you need regular advice. Hopefully, lots of people will contribute to the feed to help you along the way.

Kay.

5. belle&beau

cheers for the brief insight,
    i dont have such a luxery as the dog carrier but ive managed to get a quite large cardboard box, cut oneside down and put a fleecy blanket in there at the moment,

i have two very young daughters so space is quite limited in my house ufortunatley,
    me and the wife have spoke about sorting one of our wardrobes out and placing it in there and stick her in with us the next few nights so she gets used to be ''upstairs'' ,
    going to buy a litter box tomorrow, do you suggest any sort of litter, i tend to use clumping litter but i read this is a 'no-no' as mother might drop her kittens in the litter box would you suggest wood based litter?
    bought her some kitten food from the off license earlier on, bless her she just licked all the jelly off, even though shes getting plenty of water( in kitchen most of day drinking from the sink, does not touch her bowl of water )

Thanks once again

6. tillyfloss11

tillyfloss11 PetForums Junior

Hi,

If you want a wood based one, I would highly recommend Pets at Home's own brand wooden pellets, they are really great, not very expensive at all and really seem to keep the odour to a minimum. We were recommended it in the shop by an old man and Ive never used anything else since.

When she is close to the birth, she may get a bit restless, moving around and looking as though she cant get comfy etc..dont be surprised if you wake up to the kittens as a lot of the time they have them in the quiet without making any noise :)

Hope that helps
    Tilly

7. doliglwt

doliglwt Banned

wood based will be just right.

regards the food, they often just lick the jelly off! what I would do in that case is to mash it with a fork first, so she has no choice but to eat it properly and get all the goodness.

make the kids an omlette one night for tea and save one of the egg yolks back for her. that would be a great vitamin boost for her.

good luck, hope all goes well.

K.

8. belle&beau

is it okay to bathe her

9. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

She might get a bit chilly if you bath her properly, as she might be too big to groom herself properly. Though you could use a wet flannel or something. When it was really hot the other day I gave my girl a flannel wash and she loved it :D

You're doing a lovely thing by the way. If you need any more help no matter what time of day there is usually someone around these parts to help.

Oh and where exactly are the obligatory pictures of this queen may I ask? :D

10. belle&beau

cheers everyone,

11. belle&beau

my wife thinks shes not pregnant and just got alot of wind,
    surely this cant be right ive felt loads of movement (hard bumps) moving around her abdomen area for a few days now,
    shes trumping loads (very smelly aswell )
    is this normal

12. tillyfloss11

tillyfloss11 PetForums Junior

Hi, if you can feel hard lumps moving around then I would be certain she is pregnant..they do get very windy too..so I would say she sure is!! :)

13. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I've heard that some queens are a bit trumpy :lol:

It's a good idea to pop to the vets with her. If you explain the situation and that you're trying to help, they may give you a break on cost too. They may also scan for a microchip! It will be good for her to have a once over, the vet will be able to give you a rough idea of how long to go as well.

14. belle&beau

heres a pic of 'tramp' cat (in a nice way) trying to stay cool on the kitchen floor, think it might be time tonight shes starting to lick her 'lady bits' quite alot

15. belle&beau

test picture

Attached Files:

16. Honeybunch

Honeybunch PetForums Member

aww just read your thread she's gorgeous reminds me of a cat I used to have. She def looks pregnant so won't be long, keep us updated:)

17. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Hope all goes ok
    As an animal lover THANK YOU AND YOUR WIFE for taking this cat in and caring for her,after she has had her kittens please get her checked for a micro chip,someone may be missing her,my daughters cat went missing awhile ago and she and her children were so upset,her cat was found but it was a very upsetting time for the family while it was missing

18. belle&beau

took her to the vets to make sure shes okay and tried to get a estimate of how longs she got left,
    vet checked her with the scanner and she didnt have a chip:frown:
    checked her over and gave me some worming granules,
    reckons she might give birth over the weekend,
    so ill be sure to update you with details and maybe a few piccies

19. miholove

miholove PetForums Junior

people like you (& your family) are so wonderful & amazing - she looks quite similar to my girl and i really feel for her, hope she'll be doing fine over the weekend and looking forward to hear some good news! x

20. belle&beau

cheers everyone ,
    think im going to take fulltime care after shes giving birth,getting her straight to get 'done' and get her chipped shes a wonderful temperment cat, vet said she was still only a kitten aswell less than a year she thinks, brilliant with my young girls,
    will update when things start to take motion

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice