Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnant springer gone off food

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Spaniel mad, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Storm is 4 and a half weeks pregnant. She has recently gone off her food. She is on Arden Grange dry in the morning and wet food in the evening.

She has been leaving the dry for a few days and today not wanted her wet food either.

I have 'Book of the Bitch' but cant for the life of me find it. Its a brill book and i always refer to it.

I have never had one of my dogs go off their food this early in pregnancy. Im just worried that it will cause her to reabsorb her babies and im looking for suggestions on what i can do for Storm.

Cassies-mum likes this.
  2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Try feeding her some chicken, or some raw mince?
    When my pup's mum wasn't keen on her food we added raw mince to it, and cooked chicken and rice.
    Also added some webbox meat because its really smelly and she loved it :)

x

3. Spaniel mad

at first i thought it was because she could smell the pups chicken and rice so fed her in a different room away from them but she still wouldnt eat

i will cook her some chicken and give her that

4. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

lol i love springer's send her to me:D. Hope she's ok

5. Spaniel mad

Aww i love them too. Couldnt be without my stormy, shes a darling. Soo good and laid back. I think she will be a prefect Mummy and i will be there every step of the way to help her.

Will post lots of pics when she has her babies but you cant have 1 because i am keeping them all lol

6. thedoggyparlour

thedoggyparlour PetForums Member

Tilly turned her nose up to some food on monday was eating again by the afternoon

7. Spaniel mad

Is it normal for pregnant bitches to have the runs???

8. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

At the stage she is at yes, my bitch did the same and does it everytime she is in whelp that how I knew she was pregnant, because she went off her food and then had the squits, so it is all good signs, and just keep tempting her with small tit bits until she gets her appetite back it will come back in a day or two, I got told by an old school breeder in my breed that if your bitch goes off her food when she is pregnant to try boiling up some lamb mince rice and pasta let it cool and give them a small amount of it two or three times a day, it can be frozen too so it will last for ages. My girls love it when I make them this mix up.

take care
    sarah

9. Spaniel mad

She went off her Arden Grange so i tried her on some wagg this morning as this is what they used to eat

She was eating it out of my hand and would not take it from her bowl, so i put it into a different bowl and she ate it lol

Im gonna go shopping later and get her some chicken, mince and pasta

10. missy2pippin

missy2pippin PetForums Newbie

It pregnancy :) and we know as mothers..weird things happen ..like your taste buds changing the smell of things i would of thought it would be no different for a bitch dog :) hope they get eating soon just, a bit like the early stage of sickness queasy bellies lol poor things

11. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

My little fluffles has gone the opposite way, her poo is usually softish and sometimes gets on her hairy bum (lhasa) so the first thing I did was cut a little strip down the back to avoid this mess... but she's firmed up quite a bit ;)
    I've been giving her raw chicken wings, mince mixed in with her kibble, lamb bones and last night they all had the left over spagbol... they love it :smilewinkgrin:

Because there's 3 of them that all eat together and will pinch out of each others bowls, I've got them all eating the same stuff... her protein has been increased so the others' have too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice