Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnant Semi-Feral Foster

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Pelascini23, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Pelascini23

Pelascini23 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I'm currently fostering a lovely semi-feral torbie girl we've named Saffie. We took her on almost 2 weeks ago and were told she would give birth within the week, and she still hasn't. She's huge now, has visible teats with flaky white bits on them, and the kittens have been very active for a while now.
    I'm currently sitting up with her because we've just had that feeling that she's a little 'off' today. She normally is very blinky and chatty, but today has just stared at us and not made a sound. She's eaten less than usual but is still drinking. She's also been laying with her legs pushed further backwards than normal, and has rolled onto her back a few times, which with her size is quite the feat!
    We think she passed her mucous plug almost a week ago, there was some stringy blood-tinted mucous in her crate during the night. There haven't been any visible contractions yet but I don't really want to go to bed and leave her alone in case she goes into labour and the kittens need assistance.
    I may just be rambling and by the time anyone reads this she could have had them, but if anyone is up it'd be great to have someone's thoughts on this? I know it's entirely unpredictable but have some people had the same sort of signs right before the cat goes into labour? We feel so sorry for her being heavily pregnant for so long and just want her to be done with it all!
    She's such a calm, sweet girl I wouldn't be at all surprised if she had them silently in the night!
    I'm just a little concerned for her and this is a great way to relieve some of that.

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Doesn’t sound like she’s far off, can you have her in your room or sleep in the room she’s in?

3. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

How is she this morning?

4. Pelascini23

No kittens yet! I was with her until about 2am, then again at 5 and my family woke up around 6 to be with her. We didn't want to be in her room all night because she's still a bit private with us when it comes to the litter tray, she always waits until we're out of the room and I didn't want her feeling uncomfortable. She was a lot more cheerful this morning, giving me the usual morning meows and she even got up to see me. We're all starting to feel like she's never going to have the kittens! :(:Joyful We're not worried about the kittens yet, they are very active, but it's Saffie we worry about! We saw the baby-daddy recently, he was also surrendered, and he's huge!! Biggest cat I've ever seen. Saffie isn't tiny but we worry she's going to have trouble delivering. As a feral we don't want to have to rush her to the vets and terrify her, but it's a thin line between safe and sorry :confused: For now we're just waiting, but two weeks feels like forever when there are kittens in the balance :)

5. Rufus15

Try not to worry too much, often small mums are able to produce big kittens with no ill effects. Just make sure you're well on hand when she does kitten, in case any get stuck

6. David C

David C PetForums Senior

More often than not the smaller mum deliver quicker than the bigger girls o don't worry about her size. She probably looks massive because she is small herself and cats can often look big from around 6 weeks on hence why the rescue you are fostering her from might have thought she would deliver within the week. As long as she is eating then i wouldn't worry about her and some queens can go up to 70 days before kittening.

7. Pelascini23

Thanks guys, we normally foster feral kittens (4 months+) and we've never dealt with a pregnant cat before, and obviously not knowing her history or how far along she is is an added level of worry! She seems very happy again today, lots of blinking and chin tickles and purring so we're not too worried. I just have that feeling that it'll be in the next few days. She has eaten about 2 bowls full of her kitten biscuits today and has had some Sheba chicken terrine as a treat, so she still has an appetite.

8. Pelascini23

Still no babies, she looks very annoyed at still being pregnant! Here's a photo of her today, apparently she was very skinny on the farm so her belly is big for her! faf0d05a-7ef8-4178-8f0d-0656d68fd99e.jpg

Sнarкy likes this.
  9. Rufus15

Bless her, she looks very peeved. Have you your birthing kit all ready?

10. Pelascini23

She does, she's lying so uncomfortably now too I feel so bad for her. Thankfully of course this is the last litter she'll ever have to have. Yes, I have a box next to her with a heating disc, kitten formula, bottles, syringes, gloves, towels, scissors, string and scales. I've even typed up a weight chart for the kittens for the first few weeks. It's ridiculous timing but next Friday I'm off to Greece to volunteer with a cat charity, so my family will carry on taking care of her (we all live together so she won't have to move). That's why I want her to have them ASAP, so I can watch them and see if there are any that need special attention while I'm away.

11. Pelascini23

She seems a lot different today, she's lying on her side and occasionally rolling onto her back (which looks so uncomfortable!), and really stretching out and then sighing. We've noticed she keeps her tail angled away from her behind whenever she stands up. She's still eating fine however. The weird thing is that her belly seems to have moved from a big flop around her middle to being angled down towards her hips more, she's now more pear-shaped than before. When I write this all down it looks obvious that she's getting close, it's just good to get my thoughts out somehow :Joyful It's been about 8/9 days now since she lost her mucous plug, it feels like ages ago now so surely she's got to be close...
    f9e2fbf9-e378-4391-97fe-27c94789b120.jpg

12. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

The kittens have dropped which means they are moving towards the birth canal. She should deliver them soon.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  13. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Does she come out her crate at all or is that not an option?

14. Pelascini23

I thought so, she looks so different tonight it's unbelievable.

15. Pelascini23

No she doesn't come out yet, she came out for an hour last week and immediately hid behind the TV. She's getting more affectionate as the days go on but she's still semi-feral and it's best if she stays in. We'll be able to help her if there are issues with labour, or any problems with the kittens, and we can keep the environment safe for the kittens. Usually we only keep our normal (not pregnant, just feral 4-6 month old) fosters in there for a week and then they get to explore that one room for another week, then they get the rest of the house, but yeah we don't want her to hide under something and have the kittens, and then we can't help if there's an issue. It also helps them warm up to us faster as we can bribe them with food :):) Once the kittens are okay without her for at least a few hours we'll put a little 15cm high barrier in front of the crate door and give mumma some freedom from them so she can stretch her legs more. She's not massively mobile now anyway and doesn't seem to mind being in there :)

spotty cats likes this.
  16. Pelascini23

Today's update; we think she's having minor contractions! I came down at 2am and she had 3 small tummy clenches but then it seemed to stop, and my mum sat with her from 4am onwards and didn't notice any, but a few minutes ago (2pm) I noticed them again. It also looked like she tried to lick around her area but couldn't quite reach. She's not looking too upset or like she's in pain so we'll wait it out and see if it becomes actual labour. There's almost no kitten movement today so I wouldn't be surprised if today's the day.

Raggie08 and lymorelynn like this.
  17. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

Any news on the kittens?

18. Pelascini23

She still hasn't had them! It's almost like her belly has gone back to normal shape (not 'dropped', just huge) now and there's no more little tenses of her stomach. She's acting completely fine and is still eating tons so we're not rushing her to the vets, but it's dragging on! I leave on Friday for 3 weeks and wanted to meet the kittens before I go, but we're not sure if I will now. We wormed her yesterday with a flea/wormer that's safe for pregnant cats, so we're not worried about the possibility of worms any more. It's just very odd, it's almost 3 weeks we've had her now and she seemed huge when we got her! There's less kitten movement than last week but still enough that we know there's at least 1 alive in there. It's gotten to the point where we're not just excited to see the kittens now, we just want it over for her sake. We want to see her comfortably laying on the sofa and being able to roll around like a normal cat. There's a chance she might be the first foster we keep, she's a complete sweetheart and going through this pregnancy with her is really bonding us all. I took my other two fosters to their new home today so now she's got my full attention.

19. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

This would concern me to be honest. If her tummy has dropped and she was having the mini contractions that are designed to push kittens down into the birthing canal (this is pretty evident by your description of th small clenches, the rolling and back leg stretching and tail holding) I would be a bit concerned that there is a large kitten in there who may be lying across the birth canal so can't be pushed down. I had a girl like this and thank goodness had an experienced mentor who advised that we have a vet visit and a C section, otherwise I'd have lost the litter, as there was a monster in there completely stuck. Often, if this happens, the body will try and preserve the other kittens by stopping labour, and this is evidenced by the belly looking bigger again, as it's been allowed to spread with the loosening of tight muscles. This would also coincide with reduced movement. I don't suggest this lightly in her position, but I would suggest perhaps a home vet visit. If she's stress, taking her to the vet might upset things further. My vets have always been ahppy to come out to the house for laboring cats to do what they can there before taking them in for a C section as the last result. I wish you all the best of luck.

20. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I would hope she has had her kittens by now. Do you have an update @Pelascini23 even it's bad news

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice