Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnant Rescue Collie

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Moxxi, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Moxxi

Moxxi PetForums Newbie

Hello all,
    I’m very new to this and have a bit of a story to tell for background.

Sunday - A dog was dragged out of a car and left at the roadside outside of my parents’ house. I went round to see what I could do. The dog was very timid and tail was curled up through her legs to her belly, her ears were always upright and she was watching every car that went past.
    I called our local council’s dog wardens and they came out two days later - as she had disappeared and didn’t return until then. When they came round they couldn’t get anywhere near her and said to me that she was watching me and that she “wanted me”. I was sat day and night inching ever closer just to get her off the road and to safety and warmth.
    Over the next five days she came ever closer to the house and eventually came inside and ate out of the bowl we had set out for her.
    Thursday- The DWs came again and told me to continue what I was doing I.e feeding her and trying to get her inside.
    They told me they could tell she wanted to trust me as every time I went out of her eyeline she’d move so I was visible again.
    Friday - she came up to me and let me pet her and she laid down at my feet. We got her inside and placed a lead on her as per DW instructions.
    The DWs has finished for the weekend so we kept her in, I purchased a few necessities, collar, lead, bed, harness, food, bowls etc as I thought they can be donated to the rescue when the DWs come back on Monday and they would have her scent.
    Over the weekend she became ever so attached to me, walking from room to room with me, following me to the lavatory - though didn’t enter but wouldn’t let me shut the door (awkward). I went home on Friday night as I had nothing with me to stay. My parents told me she cried and cried until I came back.
    The DW was on leave on Monday ao Tuesday they came round and said they would take her to the local animal rescue and would I like to come as to not stress her out.

Once we arrived, they told me she would need to be kept there for 7 days and I could pick her up a week later. However, once they took a look at her sat at my heels and staring at me, they all agreed it would be better for her to stay with me as she has become attached. They vet checked her and found that she was approximately 3 weeks pregnant with “at least 3 pups”.
    Cut to yesterday (Tuesday 30th) I go back for her second vaccinations however the vet and I got the dates wrong and it had only been 2 weeks, they scanned her anyway to see how she was getting on. It turns out that she is more 7-8 weeks pregnant as the pups were well established and it’s “a considerably larger litter than we were anticipating”
    They were planning on having her in the rescue to have her puppies but once again saw how she was with me and decided that she should be at home in a safe, warm and familiar environment.

My point is, I’ve been reading up on what to do and I have a whelping box ready with a heat of, towels, blankets and everything else that could make her comfortable.
    I was just wondering if there was anyone that could talk me through this.

I’m aware this is a long post but I wanted to get everything out to minimise questions, however, please feel free to ask.
    I have uploaded some photos of her journey if you’d like to see them

Thank you for your time

Attached Files:

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I'll tag @Rafa as she has lots of experience and will be glad to help you at this time. I suspect you won't get a reply until tomorrow.
    Well done for taking her on.

Lurcherlad, Bugsys grandma and Rafa like this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh, the poor little love ! Presumably not microchipped?
    Bless you for taking her in , she looks adorable.

LinznMilly and Bugsys grandma like this.
  4. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Senior

She’s beautiful! Hopefully all goes well :) she’s lucky to have found someone like you

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Fortunately, a puking dog kept me up late. :)

Siskin likes this.
  6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

OP - you seem to be doing fine up to now.

A whelping box in a quiet place is ideal and it's good to let your bitch become accustomed to seeing it and become familiar with it.

Right now, you need to be feeding her a good quality, complete puppy food and you should continue with that after she delivers.

Unfortunately, it would seem unlikely she has been wormed up to now, which means your pups will likely be born with a worm burden, but, that isn't a huge cause for concern and can be rectified with appropriate worming for your pups.

Given that you don't know your bitch's due date, keep a careful eye on her and watch for signs of early labour which are digging/nesting, restlessness, loss of appetite and, sometimes, vomiting.

It seems she has a way to go yet.

Stay around and we will try to help you when you need.

7. Moxxi

Moxxi PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate this.
    She has been wormed and is going through a course of vaccinations. She was microchipped but it was to a farm in Lincolnshire and she was “dropped off” in North Wales. The microchip “owners” were unresponsive to all methods of communication from DW and Rescue Centre.

She’s starting to show a lot of signs such as restlessness and panting though not heavy.
    She can’t aleep through the night without water and I’ve had to put bowls pretty much in every room that she visits.

As for puppy food she’s only just been started on it mixed in with her adult food as the vet said it’s a good idea to ease her into it.
    She’s not digging as such but there are parts of the house she’s started to take an interest in, such as the very top of the stairs.

I’m really grateful for everyone’s comments. I will keep you updated, I have the vets at the rescue centre on hand except for out of hours as they are purely volunteer based but there is a vet close to me that deals with out of hours emergencies and I have been told to contact them in an emergency.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

I've no advice I'm afraid, know nothing at all about Pregnant dogs but certainly @Rafa is the one to listen to. I just wanted to say, well done for taking the poor lass in and taking her on, no mean feat especially as she's expecting! How can anyone just abandon a dog like that, it never fails to amaze me,leaving her to fend for herself when she's at her most vulnerable, disgusting! Thank goodness she was dropped off where she was though, it could've been a very different story had she not been fortunate enough to be left where you and your parents live! Good luck with everything. And again,well done for giving her and her puppies the chance of a decent,safe life.:)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

No experience/advice but bless you for taking her in :)

Will you keep her?

10. Moxxi

Moxxi PetForums Newbie

I will be keeping her, yes. She is absolutely devoted to me and it’s obvious for everyone to see when they look at her. And the same goes for me, I’m smitten with her and couldn’t imagine my life without her now. The rescue centre and the DW have been awesome, asking for updates and giving me extra help if I need it.

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

What a lovely story. She sounds a great dog too. I hope everything goes ok for the whelping. There is usually someone on here that can help you if you are unsure of anything so it is worth posting day or night and with luck someone with experience will be on. Can you find anyone local that is an experienced breeder and would be happy to help out when the time comes.

Bugsys grandma and Lurcherlad like this.
  12. Moxxi

Moxxi PetForums Newbie

I wouldn’t know how to find a local breeder, any tips on this would be great

13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I suppose the best way would be to ask the rescue if they can point you in the direction of anyone close to you

Moxxi likes this.
  14. Moxxi

Moxxi PetForums Newbie

Hi all, me again.
    The rescue said they couldn’t put me with a breeder as they’re not allowed to give out information.

Lua has been very clingy lately and going to the toilet a lot less. She’s basically attached to my hip and is always nudging me to hug her and stroke her.
    She has started to lactate and I have an appointment on Thursday with the vets for her second round of boosters. I was just wondering if this means she’s getting very close to labour.
    She’s been getting very tired very quickly on walks and where I’d usually take her for a 2-3 hour walk she’s only lasting 10-30 minutes at a push.
    She hasn’t started nesting and will sort of just lay anywhere she is (even on the wet ground outside)
    Any ideas?

15. Storm19

Storm19 PetForums Newbie

How far gone is she? I would think 2-3 hours is too long for a pregnant dog!

16. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It is normal for a bitch to become less energetic and tire easily as pregnancy progresses.

So far as your bitch's walks are concerned, I would be guided by her and how much she feels like doing.

None of my bitches ever produced milk before they delivered, so your Vet would likely be the best to advise on that.

17. Moxxi

Moxxi PetForums Newbie

They were slow walks and it was fully dictated by her. There’s a huge park near me and she would canter around and when she started to walk slow and alongside me at my pace, we’d head back.
    Where I take her now is near a cricket pitch and she just about lasts a lap of the park and then looks at me as she wants to go home or physically turns back the way we came.

As I said, I have an appointment with the vets on Thursday so will see what they reckon, she’s got another scan then too.
    I really do appreciate all your help.

I’m finding myself likening her activity to how I was during my pregnancy - I.e. tiring easily and slowing down etc.
    I will update on Thursday with what the vets say
    Thank you all again

Storm19 likes this.
  18. Moxxi

Moxxi PetForums Newbie

I missed the first part of the reply, sorry.
    She’s about 7-9 weeks right now but her 2-3 hour walks were around her 4-5 week as that’s when I got her.

Storm19 likes this.
  19. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You're doing fine with her.

It does make it difficult for you not knowing when is her due date, but it is usually fairly obvious when labour begins.

kimthecat likes this.
  20. Moxxi

Moxxi PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    Update from vet visit yesterday. He’s adamant her day will come this weekend, so we’re all on pins waiting.
    Lua is fine though probably fed up a little.

Her temperature last checked was 36.5C, I know this isn’t guaranteed but I’ve heard it’s a pretty good guide if nothing else. Vet is now reckoning 8 or 9 pups so a lot better than first anticipated. He’s fairly certain she’s going to have a smooth birth as she’s very fit and healthy.
    Took her for, what I thought was going to be a nice calm walk, but she found another collie and was running around with it as though not pregnant at all. I spoke to my vet about this and he said “if she wants to run, let her run.”
    He also said that it could help with a smooth labour.

Her whelping area is all set up (see picture), sorry for low quality, I have an energy saving lightbulb that takes 3 years to get to a decent brightness. And I’ve got a heat pad coming soon (hopefully tomorrow if Royal Mail are to be trusted).
    I shall update as and when I can, but for the most part it’s looking like the calm before the storm as it were.

I just can’t wait to see what they look like
    Thank you all again

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice