Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnant Queen nutrition

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Shayden, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Shayden

Shayden Banned

Hello all :)

ok well on the assumption that my queen is pregnant and will be gracing me with kittens in 8 and a half weeks Im looking to the future well in advance!

I have decided to wean her onto applaws kitten....and was thinking about treating her with toplife once a day!

Now my question is.... do i do it now!.... do i wait afew weeks or 6weeks before i start to change! or do i not bother at all until shes had them!

and has anyone had any experience of feeding different foods to different cats in a multi cat family!... as i see no reason for my stud to change his food but its very hard to separate them both as they dont like to eat 1 large meal!.... they tend to pick at their food throughout the day! which means i cant separate them to give my queen her food and my stud is a greedy sod!! also he will eat anything then get the runs dispite how ever long i try to take in weaning him onto something different!

would it make sense to wean them both onto half what they have now and half applaws and then when i separate her afew weeks before the birth wean her fully onto it!

any info would be appriciated :)

CHEERS

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

What are you feeding her now? Provided she is on a good quality food now there is no reason to change to kitten food, and I personally would not give toplife milk, it's only ever meant as an occasional treat, and to be honest there are better things to give.

So long as you feed her all she wants to eat she will do just fine :)

3. Shayden

Shayden Banned

hiya, i mean toplife cat dinner not milk lol sorry and no shes on a really rubbish cat food simply because its the only thing my boy will eat that wont give him the runs... trust me ive tried all manor of cheap and expensive cat and kitten foods taken 2 weeks to wean them onto it etc and she does well on anything but my boy will crap all over my hse so go cat is what he settles on! so they have been living off that last 7/8 months which obviously isnt the best for either!

4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Have you had a look at the wet food A-Z by Hobbs2004 at all? Such a huge choice of foods on there. I'm sure you could find something that's good for both of them on there.

The cheaper & poorer quality the food = more poop! smellier usually too.

Have you ever tried Smilla from Zooplus?

5. Shayden

Shayden Banned

hiya yeah ive had a look! ive tried hills, natures best, james well beloved, iams, purina one, whiskers, tiger, bozita, burns, royal canin, as well as the cheap stuff like felix etc!
    and this is what they both decided they liked lool

I havent tried smilla tho!

i used to feed a raw diet when i had dogs but i moved and dont have a seperate freezer space to stock up as i used to and when i try to throw the cats a chicken wing or abit of mince they lick it then dont quite know what to do with it!!.... for some reason they prefer to steal the cooked chicken or meat off my plate when im not looking :)

6. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

when Elvis was a kitten i had to chase him around the house with a KFC ckicken leg in his mouth! the leg was bigger than him! sorry i know it's nothing to do with your original post but the thought of this makes me smile :D

7. Shayden

Shayden Banned

loool that sounds like diesel! ... i would turn my head for a SECOND! and then u see him running off with a piece of chicken! ... coz its cooked with bone! i have to run after him and fight with him to let it go. usually with a bite or scratch or 2 until he finally decides to give up!

if not that then he will go into my bin and steal my apple cores!... lool HE JUST LOVES IT!!!

8. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

OMG yeah Elvis loves apple i thought i was the only one with a weird cat :D

9. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I find sanabelle kitten really good for when they are in kitten and feeding, then wet meat with that, also have porta 21 & taste of the wild, remember that cats like to graze and come back to it, they say they need extra nutrition from 4/5weeks gone, but i normally just feed that anyway, then they tell me when they want extra food! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice