Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnant pup or false pregnancy

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by RoroA40, Dec 1, 2020.

1. RoroA40

RoroA40 PetForums Newbie

This is my first post. We have a brother and a sister from the same litter of labs and they are about 10 months old. With COVID we have had them scheduled multiple times with different vets in the area but their appointments kept getting canceled and rescheduled. Male puppy started to be more aggressive with female at about the eight month mark and I finally got him in October 2nd to be neutered. The female is still waiting as her November appointment was moved to the end of December. They did sleep in the same area from the time we got them until he was neutered and they seemed to really like having their own space. Here is my actual question.....just in the last week she has gotten huge and now her teats and nipples are very noticeable. My youngest son told me last week that she was acting funny but I didn’t really notice anything at all until tonight. At 9 months could she have gotten pregnant right before he was neutered? That would put her at the eight week + mark. Or could this be a false pregnancy? I just read about them tonight.

2. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

It does sound like she’s pregnant, bitches can come into season from around six months. I would get her to the vet as soon as possible. Fingers crossed that she isn’t pregnant but I think she might be, she’s far too young to have a litter and a brother sister mating isn’t good. Please take her to the vet.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

THe male can produce live sperm up to 3 months after castration so beware of letting your guard down now !Have you actually observed your girl to have a season? I would get her to the vet for a scan and possibly mismate injecton..

Lurcherlad, LinznMilly and Torin. like this.
  4. RoroA40

RoroA40 PetForums Newbie

I have not but I did notice different behavior in the last four weeks. No blood or anything. She just acted different. I also didn’t realize the male could produce live sperm after being neutered. ☹️ I am calling the vet as soon as they open this morning anyway but I wanted the opinion of people more educated than myself. Thank you for your response.

#4 RoroA40, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  5. RoroA40

RoroA40 PetForums Newbie

I was hoping that someone would tell me that false pregnancies are very common in labs, especially around first heat. I was hoping to make myself feel better. I tried everything I could to keep them as separate as possible but they have ripped through everything we have created for them to be close to each other but ultimately it is my fault if is she pregnant. I will be calling the vet first thing this morning. I have been up all night worried and waiting for 8. Thank you for your response.

Nicola234 likes this.
  6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

False pregnancies are common - all bitches effectively go through a phantom after a season as their hormones have the same cycle whether they've been mated or not.
    I'd however get her to the vets, there are ways to stop a pregnancy and the vet can do that for you. I'm not sure on the timeline but bitches don't need to get big teats until very close to whelping, so I'd assume it's a phantom pregnancy. 100% get a vet to check and tell them it's an emergency as it's a possible brother-sister mating and you need her sorted asap.

Lurcherlad, LinznMilly and Torin. like this.
  7. David C

David C PetForums Senior

When you say shes now got huge have you got a picture of her stood up side on.

8. RoroA40

RoroA40 PetForums Newbie

She had puppies the night I posted this. I don’t think her brother is the dad though. I talked to the vet and they think it was a different male based on the pics I sent them. Taking the pups in for evaluation tomorrow. COVID is pretty bad in my town so had to wait to take them in since it wasn’t an emergency. The vet said to keep them warm and make sure they are eating. Watch mama close. She has been a great little mama so far. Thanks for the help!

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

oh dear. You obviously missed her season (goodness knows how) and had her unsupervised round at least one other male dog. Good luck with the puppies. At least at this time you should have no difficulty finding homes for them. Book her in to be spayed as soon as possible after the pups go or she will be be back in season again.

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

And be very careful where the pups go as there are lots of unscrupulous people getting hold of pups atm purely to make money out of - either by selling on at an inflated price or breeding more pups to sell :(

11. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

This, absolutely, this, & it might be worth asking around local rescues to see if they can help with doing homechecks & making rehoming questionnaires, it would be foolish to sell the puppies for a low price in the current climate but also ethically dubious & greedy to charge an exceptionally high price, & doesn't guarantee a good home.

Rescues may also be able to help with rehoming contracts to ensure the puppies are kept safe & neutered when appropriate, selling them may well result in buyers attempting to recover costs.

I suppose the one little positive is at least the puppies won't be inbred, if this mysterious 2nd sire that's now been mentioned is the father to the whole litter.

What a sad, preventable mess :(

Torin., LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice