Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnant Platy

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Cindy Haikney, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Cindy Haikney

Cindy Haikney PetForums Newbie

Hello!
    First post on here - just looking for some advice!
    About 2-3 months ago me and my husband bought 6 Platys from a large reputable garden centre. Unknowing to us that 4 were females and 2 were males and probably all the females were pregnant. One morning we woke up to lots of teeny tiny fish! Fast forward a few weeks and we have LOTS!
    What should we do? Where can we take them? Will pet shops take them? We might have some family to give some to but unless we start separating them it’s just going to get worse.
    Luckily for the time being we have a large 200 litre tank but at some point we have to give some up.

Any advice (other than letting bigger fish eat them) would be really appreciated!!

Thank you

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Hiya,

Yeah, platys breed like, well, like livebearers :)

You need to separate the adult males and females now, and the fry as soon as you can see what sex they are. Can you get another tank? Or a tank divider for your 200L?

If you can't do this or you still have too many, the pet shop should take them back. I have given juvenile platys free to a good home via Gumtree before - just make sure you quiz the new owners and make sure they have a suitable setup and know what they're doing.

Even after you separate them, the females can still give birth up to six more times each, as they store sperm. So if you're already getting overrun and want to stick with a single sex, best to go with males.

Do you know how to sex platys?

kittih likes this.
  3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I feel your pain. I had two females (no males), which ended up producing more than 90 young which made it to adulthood and many more that didnt.

I ended up having to separate the males and females as soon as I could sex them.

As you have males in the tank and as females can store sperm.for many months you will regularly have lots of fry. Even if you returned the males the females will continue to give birth for a long time. My females kept going for 6 months after purchase.

Platties are the rabbits of the fish world. You may be able to give away the fish to the shop for free but many places are just not interested in taking them on as they get so many.

Another option is to get some tank mates who enjoy platy fry. The fry are quite clever at hiding away but the numbers who survive are more manageable.

I no longer keep platties for this reason and if I were to again would just keep males.

I hope you can find homes for them.

NaomiM likes this.
  4. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

@kittih cross posted :)

Plagues... haha :):Hilarious

:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious

5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Yeah that typo was quite appropriate haha. Corrected it now :D

NaomiM likes this.
  6. Cindy Haikney

It’s so annoying!!!
    Yeah we think it’s the females are slightly bigger and have a different fun on their belly? Is that right?
    I hope we do too. I feel like the garden centre should be partially responsible for it. As we literally didn’t know!

i

7. Cindy Haikney

I don’t think I could let them be eaten haha loads of people have said this, but I just don’t want them to have loads of babies for them to just be food.
    So far as I can see not to one has died either! Just looked this morning and there are definitely some more tiny ones in this morning again. I can’t believe we how many we have!

8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

That was my view initially until I had 120 plus fry and still more coming. Then it didnt seem so terrible. The females produce so many young purely because they do get eaten naturally and the babies that are not strong or healthy are the ones that get picked off.

Have a look at pictures on google for platy gonopodium to see male's anatomy. The gonopodium starts to develope when they are a couple of months old. Essential the anal fin begins to form a tube structure.

One thing I noticed with the platy males is that the more dominant ones seem to develope their gonopodia sooner than the less dominant. Therefore it can look like you have several males and lots of females. However when you remove the dominant males the subordinates quickly develope a gonopodium and can mate the females.

#8 kittih, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    NaomiM likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice