Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnant mouse/mice updates :)

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by LauM, Jan 5, 2012.

1. LauM

LauM PetForums Junior

Rhea, our pregnant mouse has now been moved into the vivarium with her sisters Ciara and Rae. Ciara may also be pregnant but I'm not sure. When we got them they all looked around the same size, that was a month or so ago and they were 6 weeks old then, now Ciara looks a bit more rounded than Rae and Rhea is obviously pregnant, she is a kind of pear shape.

Today, Rhea and Ciara have both been in their little house, it's clear so I can see them, and they've made a little nest with newspaper and kitchen roll. They've only really came out for food or water. I've been giving them their usual food and last night I gave them a small amount of boiled chicken.

I had taped a bottle to the side of the viv but it kept falling down so I've put a little dish in there and they're all using it fine. I plan to get a bird feeder to stand a bottle up in there tomorrow, I'll also update with photos then :)

2. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

aw glad they are ok, My mouse drinks from a dish he seems to like it better then and water bottle.:)

3. chrisd

chrisd PetForums VIP

Will be waiting to see the pics!

4. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

dishes of water can be dangerous for baby meeces so you will need to get the bottle sorted before theyre mobile, Freckles looked enormous before she gave birth, I couldnt imagine a mouse could get that big and she was definately pear shaped. It would be a good idea to weigh the other females to see if they are gaining weight, which would indicate pregnancy.

5. LauM

LauM PetForums Junior

Thanks, what would I use to weight them? Kitchen scales?
    Also, we're getting them a bottle tomorrow and the babies aren't born yet so it'll be fine :)

6. thedogsmother

If your kitchen scales are accurate enough then they would be fine, I used to pop mine in a tupperware box while I did it then I took the weight of the box off, I do weigh the rats, mice and gerbils from time to time now just to make sure they arent loosing or gaining too much.

7. thedogsmother

This was Freckles two days before she gave birth, I meant to pop the picture on earlier.
    [​IMG]

and some baby pics to add to your broodyness ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. LauM

LauM PetForums Junior

Thanks for the photos, Freckles looks very much the same as Rhea now. I'm still not too sure about Ciara. The babies are adorable :D

9. LauM

LauM PetForums Junior

Rhea has had her babies, not sure how many as of yet. I've only seen the one through a little gap of bedding, she was giving the baby a clean then covering it to keep it warm :)

10. LauM

LauM PetForums Junior

There are at least 2 babies :) xx

11. thedogsmother

I would leave her to it hun, dont try to count them just yet, mice arent prone to eating their litters but it isnt unknown. Give her a couple of days to herself then we neeeeeeeed piccies :D

12. LauM

LauM PetForums Junior

I can see them through the little house they're in as it's clear. I think Ciara may also have had babies. I could see all of Rhea's and there looked to be about 7-8. Then suddenly Ciara went in there as well and about 5 minutes later I could see them again and the amount of babies looked to be more and she looks thinner. I know Ciara is definitely pregnant now as just before this she pressed against the house and you could see her belly moving. :eek:

13. thedogsmother

If the litters are too far apart you might have to watch that the older litter doesnt take all the milk off Ciara (the mums will suckle each others litters) with the older litter being bigger they will need more milk.

14. LauM

LauM PetForums Junior

Okay, thanks. I don't think they'll be too far apart. I'm not sure whether she's still pregnant or not, she hasn't came out much. She does look slimmer though.

15. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Ooh exciting!! :D

How about the other girl? She showing any signs?

16. LauM

LauM PetForums Junior

The other girl, Rae, looks a bit bigger than usual but not as big as the others were so I'm not sure.
    Although if she got pregnant just before we removed the male she'd have a few days left.
    We've moved her into a little tank on her own for now just in case, as OH thinks 3 litters all together will be too many.

Update on Rhea and Ciara-
    I've had to unfortunately move the girls into a RUB cage as one of our bearded dragons doesn't seem too well so we've had to put him into the viv. They seem fine though, they've barely noticed and are still feeding the babies fine. Ciara has definitely had her babies, I could see in when I moved the bed they're in and there's a pile of babies, there's around 15. We picked up the whole bed to move them, disturbing them as little as possible.

17. LauM

LauM PetForums Junior

Here's a few photos of the girl mice today, Zack was too busy hiding in his house:-

Ciara-
    [​IMG]

Rhea-
    [​IMG]

Rae-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Ingrid25

Ingrid25 PetForums VIP

cant wait to see the piccies of the bubs!:)
    your mice r so cute!:D

19. LauM

LauM PetForums Junior

Aww thanks :)
    I had a little look at the babies today while the Mums were out being handled. There looks to be about 20 :eek: I'll get a photo tomorrow :) x

20. thedogsmother

:( But but but, I want baby mousie pics NOW :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice