Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnant Guinea Pig

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by revlac, Apr 6, 2011.

1. revlac

revlac PetForums Junior

Hi

Two weeks ago my two male guinea pig got in with my female pigs and I feel one is pregnant (He was caught in the act). The female is a rex and the males are a rex and a smooth coat crested. She just looks a bit more rounder then she did and is a bit more heavier. As she is living with another couple of female guinea pigs what I need to know is would I have to seperate her from the other guinea pigs and if so at what time during her pregnancy or can she stay with them while she gives birth?

2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Well once I had three female guinea pigs all living together in an inside cage and I found out that one of them was pregnant just the night before she gave birth. She must have been pregnant when I bought her as she hadn't been near a male at all at my house. I left her in with her two friends and kept an eye on them and they were fine and the baby had two 'aunties' to look after him and they were really good with him too. Hated having to take him out at 3 weeks old though cos they were all so happy together.:(

Are they somewhere that you can keep a close eye on them?

Meant to put, she only had the one baby, maybe cos she was young herself. He was beautiful though and I had him till he was six years old. He sadly died in April last year.:(

#2 Jazzy, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  3. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

What a shame :(

Hopefully she is not over 6 months old or there is very possibly going to be problems.
    It is fine to leave girls in with her, but keep male away, as he will mate her immediately, or more or less so, after babies are delivered.

How did the male get in? Why not have him neutered and then after 3 or 4 weeks he can live with girls as a little group.

Remember to take male babies out at 3 weeks, but don't re-home until 8 weeks.

4. revlac

revlac PetForums Junior

Hi

Thank you both for the useful information, thankfully she is about 5 months old. We keep them in hutches in the garden so we can keep a close eye on them obviously the girls have got their hutch and the males have got theirs.

regards
    revlac

5. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

You can breed them for the first time upto a year old. I'd never ever breed a guinea pig at 6 months old because they are still babies!

Is there any chance you could just be feeding her more because you are worried that she is pregnant so she's putting on more weight? We had a rescue girl who this ended up happening to. She came from somewhere she was heavily bred so there was a chance she could have been pregnant. We made ourself a bit paranoid thinking she was expecting :p

6. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

their hips start to fuse at 6 months old, and if bred after just 8 months it can kill them, due to the fact their hip bones fuse if they havent had a first litter before that age

Guinea Lynx :: Breeding

7. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I wouldn't breed a guinea pig either, but if they are to have a litter, 6 months is a good time, leave it too much long and there may be dystocia. Many people think thier pelvic bones completely fuse, but this is untrue, however their is an increased risk of birthing difficulties.

Yes it sounds young, but that's the way it is with guinea pigs. At six months they are not babies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice