Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Pregnant GSD

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by BRIANNA MOORE, Jan 10, 2018.

1. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

Do you have a mentor? Someone (often the breeder of your bitch, sometimes the owner of the stud dog or maybe someone you know within the breed community) who is experienced and up to date? There's really no substitute for having someone on hand, either in person or who you can ring/text any time of night or day, who knows what they are doing and guide you when you first start out breeding. If you don't have anyone then I'd recommend getting in touch with your relevant regional breed club to see if there's anyone who would be willing to help you.

I'd definitely count from the first day she was mated, not the last. Better to be prepared early than have the pups arrive unexpectedly. Also, as she may have caught on the first time you don't want to be waiting beyond the due date worked out from the last mating before you start to consider whether she's having any difficulties getting going.

Although it's mostly about raising the litter, Puppy Culture does cover the later stages of pregnancy and I'd highly recommend it for information on both subjects.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  2. BRIANNA MOORE

BRIANNA MOORE PetForums Newbie

We had a few that we opted out of for now because of her parents DNA results. Once we get her titled, we plan on getting the tests done as a formality so that fi butters have something on paper from her generation to assure them. Because both her parents were clear for CPHD (pituitary dwarfism) we didn't do that one, also both parents were clear for Von Willebrand's disease so we skipped that for now. We did get her own testing done for HUU and degenerative Myelopathy. Her dam was a carrier for the latter (stud was clear) and the testing for HUU hadn't been done by her breeder.
    Am I missing anything? I know there are a few others but in talking to our vet these were the ones she was most concerned about.

3. BRIANNA MOORE

BRIANNA MOORE PetForums Newbie

No, I don't have a mentor. I had someone lined up when I lived in Indiana about 9 months ago but they prefer to do things face to face. She's a good breeder, almost bought a stud from her, but she lives out in the Amish Country and really doesn't like doing things over the phone or email. She's not Amish, just is much more used to that pace and face-to-face contact. Since moving back to Washington, and having my son, I have been relying a lot more on our vet for my questions. She is a breeder as well, but she breeds Labs. My sister-in-law owns one of her pups. Having gotten to know her better through my dog's pregnancy I get the feeling that she does a lot of the testing and preventative measures because she has easy access to it all and not because she feels it's very important.

I will definitely check out that page. Thank you for The advice.

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

To answer your original question - multiple matings always make calculating the due date almost impossible. If left to run free (as your husbands beagles may have been) animals will often simply take themselves off and give birth 'when they are ready' (as animals do in the wild). But for most of us with a closer relationship with our dogs this just doesn't work. So to have your bitch prepared for whelping, I would be calculating the third trimester from the first mating to ensure all requirements are met (dietary etc) and have her set up with a whelping box from 60+ days from that date. For the rest it will be down to watching and knowing and I am afraid that is down to experience ...which is why a mentor is so important.

For two Vets to say to calculate from the last mating is somewhat confusing to me ...because if you do and it was the first mating that was successful and the others were simply cosmetic then you may be five days too late in preparing your bitch. So i would happily disagree with them.

I do not agree with your Vet in regard to their advice to multiple mate either (it was advice given as a breeder not a Vet by the way, as there is no medical reason to multi-tie). Over the years I have bred large and small breeds and I use free running the first day for flirtation (closely supervised -preferably no tie), a few minutes free running the second day (close supervision - guidance for tie if needed) and sometimes a third visit (or second tie -but only if i was not satisfied that the mate had been successful). I find if you know your bitch and use a good stud that is all that is needed. In fact most quality stud dog owners are far too careful of their dogs to offer them up over long periods.

You say that your Vet was surprised that your bitch accepted the stud so many times and for so long - well, they shouldn't be. In fact, this is one of the reasons i do not let it happen. Some females are able to correct, control and send away a horny stud dog (my Black Lab in my Avatar can) when they do not wish to engage (as they are not ready to or do not need to mate) but many can not. And some breeders even muzzle their bitches so they have no say in the matter. And so it happens again and again......

J

Laney_Lemons, Sarah H and Rafa like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice