Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pregnant girly

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Starlite, May 8, 2010.

1. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

well as far as i can see anyway!

she went into heat 8 weeks ago and drove us all mental but i kept her in. I went out ONE night and my OH let her out because he couldnt stand the yowling nemore :rolleyes:

Squeak has always been on the small side but she now looks as though she's swalowed a watermelon, sleeps on her side most of the day and eats as though we starve her! She's got so greedy she is now taking on our 4 stone malamute puppy for her food - and winning! :lol:

she goes over and eats out the dogs bowl and if Shorty comes near she growls and the dog runs away the big wuss

she's also super friendly when she normally doesnt like to be touched and i can see movements in her abdomen like kicking and rippling so there is something in there.

im worried in case she goes overdue tho, is this common with cats?

2. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Don't worry, most cat births are straifghtforward. If you can work out the exact date, though, it would be useful, if only to stop you worrying.

Liz

3. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

good luck keep us posted.xxxx:D

4. Honeybunch

Honeybunch PetForums Member

Good luck if it was 8 weeks ago she went into heat then you have about a week to go how exciting! Hope all goes well keep us posted.My girl has just pinked up so I have about a 6 week wait! :D

5. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Attached Files:

$hAzZa likes this.
  6. kelseye

kelseye Banned

how cute ive just seen a ginger tom doing beauty she is my cat so i will be having little gingers by the looks of things :)

7. Honeybunch

oh wow just seen yr vid of kittens kicking! how fantastic I've never seen that before. Can't wait to see my Honey's babies inside her although I've got a while to go yet! hope all is well :)

8. babybelle

babybelle Guest

I actually thought this posts were jokes, I cant believe you let your cats outside to be mated, why not spay them and then you wont have a 'annoying at calling' so your boyfriend lets her outside due to the noise! incredible. The amount of money I spend on health checks and looking after my cats, Im crazy I should just them roam about mating any old thing I must be stupid in my old age.

9. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

no the post isnt a joke, but ive heard simple minded people are easily amused.
    The cat was and still remains, a house cat. I did not want her spayed under the age of one for personal reasons. After she started her heat cycle she was kept in as she always has been and due to her being a housecat i delayed the trip to the vets.
    What kind of health tests are you talking about :confused:, my cat is fully vacc, microchpped wormed and deflead, vet said she's in perfect health , so whats your problem?

10. jen24

jen24 Banned

Aww how lovely, im sure she will be fine. our cat got very cuddly near the end of her pregnancy and shes usually a cow lol

good luck and keep us posted.:thumbup:

p.s ignore rude comments! i got some too when i posted about my cat being pregnant lol :D

11. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Yeh, don't let it get to you. Extremely looking forward to the birth and hope no problems occur:)

Can't wait for the piccies;) x

12. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

many thanks to those who have been supportive, i find it very hurtful when someone is basically alleging i dont look after my pets as i love them dearly.
    No kitties yet but i'll keep you posted :)

13. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

Just out of interest, why do you wait til they're over 1yrs old?

14. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

I do sometimes wonder with this forum... it's seemingly ok to breed "pedigree" cats and charge the earth for them, but not ok to let "moggies" breed?

Give me a moggy anyday - I think some of the "pedigree" breeds look ugly! :lol:

Yes, I agree with the argument that it is a good idea to get your cat neutered (mine is) because of the large abandoned kitten population and the fact that some posters on here are letting their cats get PG too young etc but still for a majority of people posting - what's really wrong with your moggy getting pregnant if you can find homes for the kittens or will keep the kittens in yourself?

Having said that, I don't understand why people wait a year or more to get their cat neutered if they don't want them to get pregnant. Just get it done and over with.

15. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

i like the cat to be fully grown before i put them under a large operation like spaying which is why i like to wait til they are at least a year.

i have 6 people whom i know very well (one being my mum) who have asked if they could have a kitten and after the kittens leave she will be straight to the vets :)

16. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I think the vast majority of people on here have NO ISSUES with individuals breeding responsibly be that pedigree cats or moggies!! See the thread http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-breeding/98841-deliberatly-breeding-moggies.html So I really don’t think there is the need to throw in an unnecessary insult. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!

The issue comes with the interpretation of “responsibly”. I personally think it is completely irresponsible to allow an entire cat of either sex wander the streets unchecked. By doing that, you open your cat up to more dangers and disease when hormone charged than they would normally encounter.

Breeding pedigree cats, done correctly and responsibly, is a costly affair. Although to the lay person, who does not know all the ins and outs, it must look like the breeder is raking it in. However, the vast majority of breeders at best break even, but more often than not make a loss. I have lost count of the times I have seen adverts for 8 week or younger, unvaccinated moggie kittens being sold for several hundred £

At the end of the day this is a public board, and I think it would be wrong to give any reader the general impression that its OK to just let out your cat to have sex so you can care for a few cute fluffy kittens for a couple of weeks on a whim. Producing new life is not a responsibility to be undertaken lightly, without the proper forethought and care. When proper thought is not given and things go pear shaped the only ones to suffer are the cat and her kittens.

thedogsmother likes this.
  17. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

my point was more to the fact that when breeders of pedigrees put their cats out to get pregnant on purpose it's all "oooh... exciting" "oooo wonderful" etc etc but not when it's people breeding moggies?

What if the pedigree breeder couldn't find suitable homes for all her kittens? Surely then they're in the same boat as a regular/one off breeder?

That's all I'm saying.

18. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Pedigree cat breeders do not just put their cats out to get pregnant. A carefully chosen and researched stud of the correct breed is sort with the appropriate pedigree/colour/coat pattern. Blood tests are taken to ensure the queen is not carrying FeLV/FIV. The queen is then taken to the stud, with all her supporting paperwork, and left there for a couple of days. The queen is then picked up, the stud owner provides the appropriate paperwork and a stud fee of several hundred £ is paid.

If a pedigree breeder can not find suitable homes for their kittens then they are duty bound to keep them until they can.

Izzie999 likes this.
  19. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

It's not nice to say that about pedigrees, they and some others may well think the same about you but cannot/do not say it!

#19 Milly22, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  20. Honeybunch

This issue always seems to cause a stir. I own pedigree cats and moggies and my moggie is pregnant at the moment but this was planned wth a friends tom. I know that pedigree breeders spend an awful lot of time and money and breed to improve the breed and not to make any real money.If I had the time and money It would be my dream to breed British shorthairs (I have 2 both neutered). Moggies actually have fewer health problems than pedigrees in my experience and can be just as beautiful see my Honey! Also not everyone can afford a pedigree cat at around £400 and yes I know there are many cats in rescue centres but rescue centres can be very choosy and restrictive and make it hard for people to obtain a cat. I know an elderly gentleman that was vetted by a rescue centre and was told he was unsuitable. He has just lost his moggie at 15 yrs old and desperately wanted another cat.So sometimes it can actually be easier to get a moggie privately.I do see a lot of adverts on places like preloved advertising moggie cats for £150 which is completely wrong. If you are responsible and care for your cats then I dont see whats wrong with it. My cat will be spayed once she has had her litter this is her first.The kittens will be wormed deflead and vaccinated and I will only charge enough to cover costs not to make money. I have potential homes and if not I will care for them myself until I do find good homes. Dont worry about people being rude. I hope Squeak is doing well and Im looking forward to seeing the photos. take care.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice