Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnant giant doe x mini lop buck

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by MartynMX, Aug 5, 2019.

1. MartynMX

MartynMX PetForums Newbie

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place but I'm in desperate need of advice please.

Over the weekend I adopted a female rabbit after seeing her posted on a local selling site in a tiny cage in not so great conditions. She's a giant breed but definitely crossed, just not sure what with. The older lady I got her from said she was around 5 months, which seems about right but obviously no way of knowing. She didn't seem to know much about what she was doing.

She told me that she just didn't have the time for her any more, couldn't give her what she needed etc. etc. and made it seem like she was her only rabbit. Yesterday I was giving her a regular health check and noticed movement in her tummy. I thought at first it was just her intestines moving to poop, but on closer inspection she had the typical "marble" type things down the side of her tummy. I suspected she was pregnant so contacted the ex-owner immediately and after a few heated messages, she told me that she'd been kept with an unneutered male mini lop (also 5 months) and she knew she was pregnant but couldn't care for the kits herself. She then blocked my number and on fb messenger.

I guess my question now is just what on earth do I do? It's been a good 10 years since I looked after a pregnant bunny, let alone kits. My wife is pregnant so this is gonna be a huge strain for us.

Will the kits be ok? Obviously no one can guarantee this because both parents are probably crossed. But generally, a mini lop buck and a giant doe can produce healthy kits right? Financially it's gonna be a huge struggle. I'm so angry that the owner knew but didn't tell me. A spiteful part of me considered taking her back (not really but just out of anger) but of course she would just be given to the next person willing to take her, or neglected, or worse.

I adopted her wiling to take care of her so I guess her kits are part of that too. I'm just so confused and unsure of what to do. I of course will take her to the vets ASAP (unfortunately because of work this will be in 2 days time at the earliest).

Do I give her a nesting box now and just clean it every couple of days if it's not used? I have no idea how far along she is and I'm worried about not giving her one soon enough but also don't want it to be used as a litter box.

SORRY FOR THE REALLY LONG POST GUYS. I'M JUST QUITE LOST.
    TL:DR - GIANT DOE X MINI LOP BUCK. BOTH CROSSED. UNKNOWN PREGNANCY. WILL THE KITS BE OK? WHAT DO I DO?

2. MartynMX

Another worry is the age of my doe. By the owner's estimate, she's only 5 months old. She's only a baby herself. I'm just not really sure guys. Sorry for the incoherent rambling. Please help.

3. Bunny love

Bunny love PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I would look out for signs of her nesting as you don’t know how far gone she is ... they only pregnant for 30-33 days ... she will start getting hay ready & she will start pulling fur from her neck area to add to her nest to help keep kits warm so I would put a nesting box in that’s big enough for her to fit comfortably without standing on kits when she starts showing these signs usually around day 29 ... add some soft pet bedding at bottom first and she will add rest of soft hay you put in her cage... does give birth early hours of the morning so u might just wake up to them already born xxx

4. MartynMX

Great, thanks for your help. This was pretty much in line with what I thought but was panicky and stressed at time of posting. Thanks again
    X

Bunny love likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice