Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnant Dog Panting ( 30 days) Normal?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Tyshawna, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Tyshawna

Tyshawna PetForums Junior

He told me to wait until next week but I thought the puppies would still show so I asked him to do it anyways. He told me to schedule a ultrasound but I have to wait 2 weeks for that! Also I read this

Attached Files:

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I don't think shih Tzu's are different from any other dog...I personally would listen to @Rafa a highly experienced breeder here.

Also @Jamesgoeswalkies too, another experienced breeder who hopefully will now see this thread.

It all seems to me that with not being able to answer the questions about the timing of your dogs season, when she was mated and mated over two consecutive days that maybe you need to research more into breeding, and why you are doing it...a free ebook online isn't the way to go about it.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  3. Tyshawna

So what I read online is false information?

4. lullabydream

I have never heard of a dog 'showing' in pregnancy till later stages, and from the symptoms it does sound more like a phantom pregnancy...

I don't understand how a vet can think it's not for a dog to have discharge this early on as well. That would be another concern.

What I think is you are totally unprepared to have a litter. If you don't understand about matings, have you considered health testing prior to this? Looked at your dogs pedigree, and the studs pedigree? Have you a valid reason for breeding, shih Tzu's aren't thin on the ground.

Breeding isn't for the faint hearted. It really isn't the biggest risk you are taking for your dog. Not all dogs survive a pregnancy and labour, you could end up losing everything;mum and pups.

O2.0 and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  5. Tyshawna

I asked the vet for a blood test to confirm the pregnancy he said it isn’t always accurate it’s better to do a X-ray but then he told me its too early for that and to schedule a ultrasound which takes 2 weeks.

6. Tyshawna

My dog is about to be 7 weeks pregnant I think it’s normal for her to show signs now

7. Tyshawna

The discharge comes from her mucus plug

8. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

No your dog is not 'about to be 7 weeks pregnant'. She is 40 days (if the dates you gave are correct) which is not even 6 weeks and you will not have entered the third gestation yet.

I am a little confused - at 40 days you can certainly have an ultrasound - or did you tell your Vet she was only 30 days (which is what you told us at the start of this thread)? If you told your Vet 30 days then they will have told you to come back in a week.

During the third trimester (the last three weeks) you will begin to see changes in body shape. I find every dog tends to be a little different as to how and when they actually show. However, there is no reason to presume that Shi Tsu's are any different. As has been said you seem very unprepared for this pregnancy and I would suggest you do some solid reading and maybe get a mentor before the birth happens because whelping is not for the fainthearted or the uninformed.

The blood test is new and some vets do consider it unreliable but my experience is that it will show if the bitch is not pregnant as there will be no trace of the hormone. Scans at 40+ days should be reliable though. I wouldn't even hazzard a guess from photos whether your bitch is pregnant. As has been said showing too early (30 days) does tend to suggest a phantom ...but if your bitch is 40+days then showing is acceptable.

The most important thing here is are you feeding and preparing your bitch for pregnancy regardless of whether she is - good quality food is vital. And are you prepared yourself. There are a lot of things you will need on standby for when she whelps. Maybe get hold of The Book of the Bitch and get reading.

J

Rafa, O2.0 and lullabydream like this.
  9. Tyshawna

I’m counting from May 6th until today which is June 15 that makes her 6 weeks pregnant

10. Tyshawna

Sorry for the confusion it’s not that I can’t get the ultrasound it’s because my vet doesn’t do it they have to call somebody in and that takes up to 2 weeks for them to come that’s why I allowed him to do the X-ray hoping it would show something

11. Tyshawna

I wanted to confirm her pregnancy first before changing her food because I assumed it was a phantom pregnancy too. But the vet said he doesn’t think it is so right now I’m waiting until 45 days to do another X-ray or go to another vet for bloodwork

12. Tyshawna

Also she’s not really showing because she weights the same the only thing that really changed are her nipples they have become more pink and her gut pokes out more but she isn’t big.

13. Tyshawna

If I find the book online I’ll try and read it so I can be prepared if she is pregnant or for the future

14. lullabydream

So is she exactly 42 days pregnant? As it's from 45 days you can see skeletal formation on an X ray

15. lullabydream

Which in a normal pregnancy happens near the very end...but in a phantom it happens quickly.

What are you feeding her? As I would have thought with just the extra nutrients then she would 'weigh' more regardless of puppies or not.

16. Tyshawna

Well when I count it comes up to 40days lol I feel like I can’t count! my aunt who breed Shih Tzu dogs says pink nipples are the first sign of pregnancy

17. lullabydream

You said she was 6 weeks prgenant. 6X7=42...

Nope not at all...this is what we have been trying to say. Usually if symptoms occur early it's a phantom.

So if your Aunt breeds shih tzu why haven't you been asking her for advice? Instead of random strangers on the internet?

18. Tyshawna

Who said I didn’t ask her for advice? What’s wrong with getting more then one person opinion?

niamh123 likes this.
  19. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

20. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If you don't know on what day of her season she was mated, how can you know at what stage of pregnancy she is?

Who was with her when she was mated? Who organised it?

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice