Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Pregnant Chihuahua Labour Advice..

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by BigMomma86, Jan 10, 2019.

1. BigMomma86

BigMomma86 PetForums Newbie

Hi All,
    I'm new on this site and just need a bit of advice if possible..
    My Chihuahua was " caught" twice by our male chi - We kept them separate whilst she was in heat, however accidentally they mated twice as our dog walker didn't adhere to the separation...

Skip to present situation..
    She is full term (62days) & HUGE.
    Lactating, nesting, restless, aggressive towards everyone except myself.
    Our vet said if she hasn't delivered by TOMORROW (Friday 11th Jan 2019) he would like to give her a section.
    Obviously I want what is best for her but as she is temperamental I'd like to try and deliver at home.

We've been walking her regular (she's now refusing to leave the house).
    She has a whelping room (Guest Room) where she is now. I've not noticed any contractions although she is extremely uncomfortable- alot to do with that she is massive, which I'm concerned about. She can't lick herself as she can't physically reach.

Has anyone got some advice on a plan of action?

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Has she had an xray or scan to give an idea of how many puppies she has?

3. BigMomma86

Yeah, sorry I forgot to put that on the post. She was scanned 3wks ago and it showed 7 pups.
    Her temp is 36.5 but has been for the past 48hrs. We've seen the vet for the past 4days and he isn't overally concerned.
    I'm probably just worrying too much but she's my baby.

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Holy cow! 7 pups is a huge litter for a chihuahua!
    I would plan on a C-section personally. I wouldn't want to risk it with that many pups.
    I hope you're prepared for some hand-feeding as well?

kimthecat likes this.
  5. BigMomma86

I know that's probably why I'm so concerned, I did request a section but the vet said it might not be necessary- starting to think asking for a second opinion would have been best.

We're all ready for having to bottle feed etc.

6. Udon

Udon PetForums Junior

Christ, what a worry. I’d be so cross at your dog walk and and expect them to pay any bills, like a c-section!
    Did they not even tell you? Did you just notice her getting bigger? How did they let them mate twice??!

How old is she? It might help you make the decision regarding a c-section. Why are neither of them neutered? I think being unspayed for a female increases their risk of cancer doesn’t it?

Fingers crossed she pulls through her delivery safely x

7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Personally, I would not have left an in season bitch and an entire dog of mine in the care of anyone else, but what's done is done.

Your bitch doesn't sound as though she's actually in labour yet, but certainly, she's imminent. The first signs to look for are loss of appetite, sometimes vomiting, digging/nesting, shivering and panting.

I would stay with her now at all times, including overnight. If she asks to go outside, go with her, as it isn't unusual for a bitch to deliver a pup outside.

Once she begins panting, watch carefully for her to begin straining/pushing. At that point, a pup should be born within twenty minutes and, if that doesn't happen, you should contact your Vet straight away.

Linda Weasel likes this.
  8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

7 pups ! Hope all goes well and don't hesitate to call the vet if you are worried .

9. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I hope this little chi is ok and everything went well for mum and pups. I hope we get an update .

10. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I hope the pups are all safely delivered by now.

I have chihuahuas and they can be very slow whelpers my bitch had 4 pups they are now 16 months old it took her ages to get started but when she did she popped them out like peas it was all over in an hour and a half. I have bred whippets before and they are suppose to be easy whelpers and I've sat all night with a bitch although usually big litters of 9 or 10.

If your bitch has been scanned as a definitely having 7 I would doubt they are going to be big pups we had a litter of 6 a few years ago and I think from memory they were all around the 60 - 70 gram mark

I wouldn't worry about her not wanting anyone other than you around the first litter of chihuahuas we bred the bitch would only let my husband near her babies if I went anywhere near them she would try to bite me. When the pups were a few days old she settled and let me handle them. I have a friend who breeds Pomeranians and she often doesn't know the sex of the pups until they are a couple of days old.

As long as your bitch isn't pushing or getting stressed I wouldn't be too worried I know it's hard we went through it with Honey. I spent a week sleeping downstairs with her jumping up every time she moved but when her labour started we knew. She had been very restless from early hours on the Sunday morning but at about 7.30pmshe became very restless couldn't settle anywhere and doing small wees in the puppy pen. Her first was born at 7.45pm and her last at 9.30pm

kimthecat likes this.
  11. David C

David C PetForums Member

Any news yet?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice