Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnant chihuahua, advice please.

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Sparkle2406, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Sparkle2406

Sparkle2406 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, first off I'm new here so not quite sure how this works and I would also like to say before I go into more detail that my chihuahua was mated without my knowledge and I only found out when I took her to the vet. I'm sorry if this is a bit long.

So anyway, about 2 weeks ago I noticed my 1 year old chihuahua Poppy was a bit lethargic and was being sick off and on, also noticed her nipples had changed colour and she also had some pink tinged discharge but had assumed that she was due to have her first season (hadn't noticed a season until this point) anyway a few days later she had some more discharge but it was dark brown in colour, so I took her to the vet who did an ultrasound as they thought it was pyomtra but turned out that she was infact in pup, as you can imagine i was very very shocked and couldn't string 2 words together because 1 to my knowledge poppy hadn't had a season yet and also I hadn't had any male dogs near poppy. The only dog she ever plays with is her sister who my gran has. The vet did the ultrasound 3 times and yep there was 1 heartbeat at the least. Vets couldn't explain what the discharge had been either

She's had no more since then might I add..anyway I went home and spoke to my husband and he couldn't understand how it happened either, fast forward 3 days later and we realised it must have happened when we were on holiday in May and my husband's best friend was looking after poppy, turns out my husband's friend was also looking after his brothers dog at the same time which his friend just didn't think to let us know she had been around an intact male. So from that we are assuming they mated between 4th and 6th may as that's when the male dog was there... my concern is her age and size not to mention how big she is already due to pregnancy. I haven't noticed any milk coming through yet but i did notice some movement from the pup or pups 5 nights ago and now tonight the movements are very strong. I have attached a picture of her stomach from 3 days ago, it has almost doubled in size since then though but dont want to annoy her too much by taking pictures. I was just wondering what's the rough gestation of a chihuahua pregnancy ? My vets have said when she gl3s into labour to contact them to let them know incase they need to have her in for emergency c-section so they can be on stand by if the need arises so now I'm very scared. She is my baby and I can't bare the thought of anything happening to her and I'm so angry with my husband's friend for allowing it to happen.

What can I expect ? I've searched an read for hours about it but I want to know from people who have first hand experience of Labour's of dogs particularly small breed dogs. I've got a whelping kit that I ordered that has things like scissors clamps little sucker thing to clear pups air ways blankets puppy milk syringes scales etc also had a whelling box delievered yesterday so getting her used to that but she keeps going off and hiding under mt daughters bed. She had some slight clear discharge yesterday and today shes only ate a tiny amount of food but it could be the heatwave were having right now making her appetite go. Her temp this morning was 37.7°c and tonight was 37.6°c so not changed much. She just pretty much sleeps all day and night and follows me everywhere whenever i move. Sorry for it being so long and if it doesn't make sense I will try to clarify it the best I can, as you can imagine I'm just scared and on edge with it. Ive also had some nasty things said to me on other sites so I'm hoping I have better luck here.

Attached Files:

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Her due date would be 63 days from the date of her first mating.

She is very young to be having a litter. Such a shame.

What breed of dog was she mated by? That is very important as, if she was mated by a bigger breed, the pups could be too big for her to deliver normally and she will need a C Section.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Sparkle2406

Thanks for your reply, it was a Pomeranian that mated with her, and from what I know he was around 2 years old. Yes the vet did mention that a c-section might be likely because of her breed size and age so I've to phone them or out of hours vets when she begins first stage of labour so they can be on stand by if the need arises for her to be taken for emergency surgery.. yes it is a shame, and it's only 3 days ago I was told by someone that she could have had an emergency spay to stop the pregnancy progressing but my vet hadn't mentioned anything of the sort so I didn't know that could have been possible.

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Whoever it was you left her with was very careless to allow her to be mated and then not tell you about it.

Has your Vet mentioned worming her? She needs to be wormed now or her pups will be born with a worm burden.

What food do you have her on? She needs now to be on a good quality puppy food, which you should continue to feed her after she delivers.

leashedForLife likes this.
  5. Sparkle2406

My husband's friend claims that he didn't see the dogs mating and that he didn't leave them alone at any time but it's obvious that's total lies because she's pregnant so they have mated. We've not had any more contact with him since discovering what happened because I'm just too angry and upset that this happened to my baby and he didn't tell me and that I wasn't there cos it would never have happened if I hadn't gone on holiday.

I have her on royal canine food which the vet suggested would give her the extra nutrients she would need during pregnant and after birth and she always has some chicken and rice now and again that a breeder who was in the vets recommended would help with the protein.

I usually worm and flea her, my cat and my home regularly every 3/4 months and the vet gave her a flea and worm treatment 2 weeks ago. Will she need treated again before she has the pups ? The vet didn't say anything about the next treatment. She just said that she hoped the next time we seen her was when the pups were just born and mum and pup or pups were having a check up.

6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

When you do calm down enough to speak to your husbands friend I'd certainly be telling him to get his dog neutered as he doesn't seem responsible enough to understand what his dog can do :rolleyes:

To answer you initial questions though - she is most probably due in a couple of weeks if your dates are right so she will begin to feel a bit less energetic now. She may just eat a little at a time, too. Just ensure she is on good quality food - I tend to introduce puppy food into the diet.

Put the whelping box in a quiet space in a quiet room - somewhere where she can have some peace and feel safe once the puppies are born. She may not take to it yet and they will look to find places to nest so just keep an eye on her. When their time is near we watch them 24/7 of course and whilst mine have always sat in the whelping box a few times they haven't actually used it as a bed until they start to give birth.

I'm sure you have everything set up. It's a shame she is so young but you can only do your best from now. If the pups are Chi sized she should be ok but you have the Vet standing by in case. I think we do have a poster on here with Chihuahua experience (Freyja is it?) they may be able to offer more advice.

I can't help you with temperatures as I never take them for any of mine.

J

7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Yes I do have chihuahuas and have had some experience.

If she was mated between the 4th and 6 th of mat the pups should be due around 7th July so any time in the next week you need to start watching her closely. Chihuahuas are notoriously slow whelpers but if she is only having 1 pup then she could well need a ceasarian. I don't really bother taking temperatures I think the last time we did do it her temperature was up and down for about a week before she went into labour.

Watch out for signs such as her being very restless and unable to settle digging and ripping up bedding is another obvious sign. When Honey went into labour she had been resells all day then she started asking to go out for a wee every time doing tiny little wees within a couple of hours her first pup was born she had 4 and self whelped.

If she starts asking to go out keep her on a lead and if it is dark or dusk take a torch with you and only go into your garden the last thing you want is for her to have a pup outside and to not be able to find it or for her to disappear under a bush.

The main thing is when don't panick a Pomeranian is not a big dog unless he is a throw back to the original larger poms that are nearly spitz size do you have any idea how big the Pom was? As the vets have told you let them know as soon as you know she is in the first stages of labour so they can be ready in case you need help.

And most importantly don't forget to let us know how you got on and we love to see photos of the new arrivals.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  8. Sparkle2406

Thanks again for your replies and advice. It's the puppy royal canine food she's on and also has dry kibble to pick at when and if she wants it. She seems to be getting bigger every day and pup or pups are moving around and kicking very strongly to the point I can feel them hitting off me if she's laying next to me or on me. She only ever goes outside on her lead if were out of our garden. My garden is all fenced in and doesn't have anything other than slabs and grass so I'm lucky that way that she has nowhere to run off to. I'm not taking her temp again as she seems more hormonal today and won't let me pet her near her back end or tail never mind try and take her temperature. I've got the whelping box in our room as its the quietest room, darkest and coolest with this hot weather were seeing in the uk. She can't jump up on the sofa or my bed today now due to her size so I'm assuming shell get more used to the box now.
    I've been calling my vet daily until I found these websites with all my worries and questions I'm just glad the vet is nice enough and doesn't mind.
    The Pomeranian is slightly heavier weight wise but I'm sure it's about the same size height wise. Just a lot fluffier.
    How long should it take between pups if there's more than 1?

9. Jamesgoeswalkies

In my experience it tends to vary enormously. Sometimes half an hour, sometimes a couple of hours and sometimes longer. Sometimes my Labs have had a little ice cream, gone for a wee (with me following with a torch) and washed the other pups before they even think of bringing the next one down.

J

10. Sparkle2406

Okay thank you. I'm just worried that I won't know when she's done or holding on to more because the vet has said there's 1 definite pup but could be 2 or 3 but she couldn't give me an actual number. So i don't want to think after 1 she's done and then somethinf goes wrong with others but I also don't want to.think she's got more and rush her to the vet if she only births 1. It's all just so stressful. I really don't know how breeders manage to stay calm and do this more than once. I'm far too much of a worrier lol. I take my hate off to you all.

11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

As James said, time between pups can vary a lot.

The thing to remember is, so long as she isn't pushing, then just sit with her between pups and wait.

If she's pushing for twenty minutes with no resulting pup, then you need to contact your Vet.

12. Sparkle2406

Ok thank you. Has anyone on here had a chihuahua birth and needed taken for a section?
    Was just wondering how it all happens and how the dog cards for the pups after such a big operation like that.

13. Jamesgoeswalkies

We have had an emergency C section birth with one of our Cavaliers a few years back. Three delivered normally. Next one got stuck in the birth canal. Vet was ready for us. Pup was delivered and the one that was waiting behind as well. Mother and pups were fine. Everyone does it differently but we took mum and pups (in a box) with us to the Vets, waited and then put the two new pups in with them (with some afterbirth so mum recognised them) and they travelled back alongside a sleepy mum. Once home we popped everyone back in the whelping box and then ensured the pups gently fed (minding the wound) whilst mum was a little out of it then removed them briefly so she could sleep. But within a few hours mum carried on as usual and looked after them beautifully.

J

14. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

To be fair to your Husband's friend, you did leave your bitch with him when she was in season, so you do have to accept some responsibility.

15. Sparkle2406

I would accept some responsibility had I known she was actually in season. To this point in time I have NEVER seen any season in my girl. And according to the vet and a few other people I've spoke to about this theu have said small breeds are known to have silent seasons sometimes which would explain why I hadn't seen any sign of a heat season. I'm heartbroken as it is without having anymore blame being aimed at me. I came to this forum hoping I would actually find people who would understand the predicament I've been put in and not make me feel any worse than I already do about this happening to my baby.
    Had I known she was in season then I would have never have allowed her near any other dog and that's why I always obsessively checked for any signs of a season so I could make sure as she goes to little classes at the vets with other dogs so if she was in season I wouldn't take her but as I said I never ever noticed any signs of a season and don't have any male dogs in my home or that I have my dog around so didn't see any males act different towards her either. And had I known my husband's friend was also looking after another dog then I wouldn't have allowed it at all but he didn't tell us that until around 2 weeks ago when he finally admitted that she had been around a male dog who hasn't been neutered and even then he still denys that the dogs mated even though it's clearly obvious it happened. As her mum I am in pieces about this, people have told me I should be excited that she's having pups but I'm not, obviously I want them to be born safe and healthy but I want my girl to be ok and the not knowing if she's going to be ok is so much stress and worry. I can't remember the last time I actually slept more than 2 hours at night over the last week or so because I'm constantly up checking on her. So no I won't accept some responsibility because this is something I would never have allowed and would never ever have left her with him had I known.

An I'm sorry if that comes across rude but as many of you can imagine i feel bad enough as it is and having already have a load of people jump on me for this when I just need advice and people with knowledge to help me is adding to all the emotions I already have. I love my baby and she's more than just a family pet to us.

16. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I have not said you're to blame, what I did say was, if you had no clue your bitch was in season then, in fairness, your Husband's friend can't have known either, so is it really fair to be so angry at him?

There wouldn't have been a problem her spending time with an entire male had she not been in season.

I don't believe he is to blame.

If I were you, given that your bitch has silent seasons, I would have her spayed.

17. Sparkle2406

It's the fact that he kept it from us that she had been around a male dog and then continued to lie to us even when we told him she was pregnant and that is the only way it could have happened, he still denies that they mated and said he didn't leave them alone at any time even when it's clear he either left them alone together or seen it happen that's why I'm so angry with him.. Why not just admit it now that he knows we know she was mated.

I do plan on having her spayed, I wanted her to reach maturity first before doing so but this put the spanner in the works so to speak. If I remember correctly the vet said something about booking her in for a spay round about 6 weeks after pup/pups are born unless she has to have a c-section then theu said they would perform it at the same time as that so not to have to make her go through 2 operations.

18. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

She will still be around her pups and nursing them now and then when they are 6 weeks old, so I believe that would be too early.

Around 3 months from her delivery date would be more like it I think.

19. Sparkle2406

That could have been what the vet said, I couldn't take much of the information she was giving me in but I do remember her saying something about 6 weeks after she has the pups that they would be doing something. Will need to phone tomorrow morning and find out exactly what it was she said to me so I know what's what.

20. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Maybe she said 6 weeks after the pups go off to their new homes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice