Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnant cat!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Alex williams, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Alex williams

Alex williams PetForums Newbie

Ok, so we are pretty sure our cat is pregnant, not sure how far along exactly, noodles no longer let's anyone pat her and has become pretty aggressive, over the last 8 weeks she has become increasingly bigger but will not let anyone touch her to have a look at her teats or feel, she refuses to go into her cat basket so we have not yet been able to get her to a vet as she is very aggressive and has become unsure who she feels most safest around. Tonight she has randomly piddled in the middle of the livingroom floor not like she would normally take a wee. It just poured out, she is now lying in the cleaned area where she weed and is rolling around she seems pretty calm but her breathing is considerably faster, could she be in early stages of labour? Anybody have any suggestions on how we could tell? She's constantly rolling around and grooming her legs and belly!

2. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

If she is not spayed and has been allowed to free roam you will not be able to know when she is due but no doubt she is pregnant or will be very soon. Any medical reason why she wasn't spayed before you let her out?. Perhaps post in the breeding section for advice.

spotty cats likes this.
  3. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

It sounds as though your cat's waters have broken and she is in the first stage of labour. She really needs somewhere safe and secure for her kittens or she may kill them. A cardboard box with a blanket over the top should provide her with enough privacy if you have not already made preparations for the birth. You really need a pile of pieces of towel or flannelette sheets to put in the bottom of the box. Then you can remove the dirty one on the top when each kitten has been born. If your cat will not let you help her you will just have to let her give birth by herself. In any case I would not really advise a novice to interfere if there are complications.

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Cats don't get rounder for 8 weeks (takes several weeks for pregnancy to show), and suddenly being aggressive & unhandleable is also concerning.

Hopefully the birth goes ok, mum can be spayed at the same time as the kittens in 10-12 weeks time.

catcoonz and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I wonder if you will take any more notice of the advice on this thread than on the 'out and about' thread?

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I sure wont be holding my breath on that :rolleyes:

Calvine, moggie14 and OrientalSlave like this.
  7. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

OK so it's a YEAR since you posted about letting her out - why has she not been speyed before you did?

Completely irresponsible ...... sorry but there's no excuse as you have already posted for advice before letting her out & chose to ignore the advice given & not to get her done :(

8. loroll1991

loroll1991 PetForums VIP

Some people... no words.

9. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Well spotted. My reply wouldn't have been quite so nice had I seen that thread first :Banghead

Calvine, Lurcherlad and buffie like this.
  10. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

I have 6 pregnant cats in the rescue at the moment!! - all because people can't be bothered to neuter. This really annoys me:mad:

11. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

So after my post about having 6 pregnant cats I thought I would update you on what's been happening.
    Firstly last Wednesday one of the cats Chrissy had to be pts as she was so ill - her babies went to their eternal sleep with her :'(
    Also last Wednesday an 6 month old kitten had a miscarriage :'(
    Last night Freya gave birth eventually to 5 kittens one of which has died and the others are very weak. Freya is really poorly and I've been syringe feeding her for a week now.
    I have three more heavily pregnant cats left so I'm praying they get through everything easily and without anymore deaths.
    All this because people couldn't be bothered to neuter!!!!

12. Jeano1471

Jeano1471 Professional tongue biter

@cats galore it breaks my heart how stupid people are an ur left to pick up the pieces x thank heavens u do tho xxx sending huges kisses to all the fur babies in ur care x an also the 1s that gained there angel wings early xx ur a superstar xxxx

SpringDance likes this.
  13. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

What I can never understand is how, as soon as their cat falls pregnant because they were stupid enough to let them out and not get them neutered, that they dump them on a rescue. If these were my cats (and all of mine are neutered!) I wouldn't be giving them to anyone!

14. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Because they didn't care much about the cat in the first place, else they'd've had her neutered.:(

15. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

I had OHs dad telling me how none of his male cats he used to have were ever neutered because "I wouldn't want someone cutting off my balls, so why would I do that to my cat"

Yeesh...

16. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry @cats galore, what a cruel waste of life. I don't know what the answer is other than education and perhaps more regulation and expansion of what qualifies as animal neglect, with more robust sentences. The problem is that even with all the free and subsidised neutering schemes available, all the information on social media, and forums like this, idiots keep on blithely failing to neuter and then dumping their responsibility onto oversubscribed cat rescues and expecting in a culture of entitlement other people yet again to pick up the pieces. There is no excuse beyond moronic laziness, and an attitude that animals are disposable. Sickening.

17. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

There was a story on Facebook posted by the RSPCA about a mum cat and her 8 kittens dumped in a zipped up suitcase on a disused railway line!

18. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Sorry to read your update CG, fingers crossed for Freya and her bubs.
    Hopefully the other births go well.

19. Alex williams

Alex williams PetForums Newbie

Let it annoy you all you want. We have three cats two of which have been "done" noodles was our first cat, and yes it may be irresponsible to not get her spayed but since this post she has had 4 lovely kittens of which we will find perfectly good homes for! We know to get her spayed now, noodles was never a cat which left far from the house and she was only ever out to wee or poo before coming straight back in. We may be irresponsible but it doesn't mean we don't LOVE our cat. And quite frankly how would you like it if someone whipped your womb straight out of you as you turned old enough, personally my opinion is to let her have one litter and get her done! I do take advice on board when someone has given it too me but sometimes things don't just plan out how you expect them to go.

20. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Alex, just a quick question.
    What is the difference between having her womb whipped out before going through a litter, to having it done after a litter?
    I don't understand your statement.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice