Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnant cat problem

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Edi, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Edi

Edi PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

My question is what if I do not know when my cat is due to give birth and leave
    it all to nature? I read about the signs of labor and will watch for those, but are there any signs that I should watch for if the kittens are overdue? I could have totally miscalculated when she was last in heat, she could be 4 weeks pregnant, but she could very well be 8 weeks.

Here is the history:

My cat Lilly is most probably pregnant. I am a responsible pet owner (or I think so, but I panic a lot). We have two cats - intact male and female. We wanted to give them a chance to have one litter of kittens before getting them fixed. They are both ragdolls and the kittens will go to good homes of close friends of ours. Both of the cats were healthy, vet checked and with all shots prior to conception.I know that there are a lot of cats in the shelters and I am not helping the situation, but I also know that the Earth is overpopulated and kids are dying of hunger every day, and this didn't stop me to have children. I am sorry if I am offending someone, I love my cats, and I believe that nature made animals the way they are and they should be allowed to have litter at least once.

Lilly is almost 2 years old and this is her first pregnancy. I don't remember when exactly she was in heat. The thing is that we saw Maximus, our tom cat, mounting her, bet then he just bites her on the neck and his private parts don't even come close to her. So we didn't think she might be pregnant at all. He's been doing that before and he turned 1 in may, so we thought he was just little and didn't know what to do. Well, 2 weeks ago we noticed that Lilly hans't been in heat for at least 3 weeks, her nipples are pink and quite pronounced. I actually took both cats to compare the nipples and hers are much bigger. She is a sturdy cat and a very good eater, but her stomach is very big now and is sticking on the sides. She looks exactly like a walking rugby ball. I think I felt kittens moving inside her, but I am not sure. I called my vet and he dropped by but said he wouldn't confirm pregnancy by feeling for pappilations, because according to him this is not medicine. He wants to do an x-ray and said it is safe. I don't know how far along she is and I don't know if x-rays are safe for kittens. I wouldn't let anyone do x-ray on my babies.. He got frustrated by my reluctance to bring her for an x-ray and suggested that he could do ultrasound for $450 but with that he won't be able to tell me when the kittens are due. He already charged me $150 for basically dropping by to argue for a while. The reason I called him and asked him to come is because Lilly hates going out. She starts panting and looks very distressed and does that for hours after we've already returned home.

Thanks a lot to everyone who responds in a positive way!
    To those who respond in a negative, I hope you would argue with me for free ;)

#1 Edi, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Just a short reply, it sounds to me as if your cat is at least 7 weeks pregnant, definitely not 4 if her sides are sticking out,i would just keep an eye on her
    I don't have my cats scanned, cant see the point if the cat is healthy and having no problems

3. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Well i have to say this then i will answer your questions, i hope both parents are tested for health problems and are both active registered, but i doubt neither are so this makes you yet another byb.

Ok, got that out the way, so kittens move at 7 weeks, when she lays down you may see them moving more, i would have thought she is more than 4 weeks if kittens are sticking out the sides so be prepared for kittens at any time 63-68 days.

Dont have her xrayed, this may harm kittens, you can scan but pointless really as some kittens hide and vets cannot tell you the exact due date.

Im sure you will have many questions so do ask and hopefully a safe mum and kittens born.

4. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

responsible pet owners get their cats neutered, this morning my local rescue had two female die in labour because people were not responsible, now they are having to hand rear 13 kittens. I don't understand it. Sorry but that's just my opinion, its the animals that suffer not the owners.

5. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

Does the breeder of the ragdolls know that you are breeding them? If so, and they are a reputable breeder, they should be able to mentor you.

6. Edi

Edi PetForums Newbie

Both of the cats are registered, vet checked and their shots are up to date.
    Lilly's breeder is gone. I have no idea what happened to her - I tried to call her for an advise about good kitten food and raw diet. That was more than a year ago. I will contact Maximus's breeder, thanks a lot for the suggestion!
    I am sorry for the poor kittens whose moms died... I really am.
    7 weeks pregnant? I have a box ready and a room for her. What else do I need?
    Thanks a lot!

#6 Edi, Aug 24, 2013
  7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Are they tested for HCM? This is a big problem in ragdolls at the moment - they need a DNA test and yearly heart scans. Bot sure about other DNA tessts that Ragdolls should have, poss PKD?

When you say registered - do you mean on the active - or registered as in have ped certificates but have no progeny to be registered over stamped. i.e. CAN you register the kittens? Which registry are you with?

What about your boys breeder? Is s/he still about?

Are you sure on your lines and that they aren;t too closely related? Do you know your SOPs and know what is good in a ragdoll and made sure your cats compliment each other? Are you up on colour genetics and know what each carries recessively and so know what colours to expect? (*Often surprises me how many people think they can put a black cat with a blue cat and get lots of blues and then are surprised when they don't)

As for a raw diet - lots of advice on the health and nutrition section - many of us here feed raw.

#7 spid, Aug 24, 2013
  8. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

There is a big difference between Registered and Registered Active ...

All registered mean is than the cat is with a cat organisation , TICA, GCCF etc

Cats solely used for breeding have to be registered Active ... These cats are selected because of there type and breed standards not becuase someone wants to have kittens ...

Your are for pet only and should not in any way shape or form be bred from ... There are very good reasons for this ...

Health check go beyond vacs and a quick check at the vets... It covers DNA testing,, HCM. PKD... As yours are Ragdolls there are at high risk for both of these ... And if your cats are positive for the above your offspring will be too .. Not good

So give yourself a pat on the back ... You have just put a few more lives at risk, just because you wanted kittens

9. Edi

Edi PetForums Newbie

Ok, I just spoke with the breeder and she will come over tomorrow to discuss everything. Lilly was not sold as a pet - the breeder knew upfront that she will not be fixed right away and she will have kittens. Max was sold as a pet, but I do have an agreement with the breeder about one litter of kittens that he will father, she will register the kittens for a fee, and we have agreed on that. If we want more kittens, she advised me to pay for his full papers, but she thinks that after this litter we will not want more kittens. She says that only one intact female is not enough for him and he will be spraying all over thhe place and it is just a matter of time. I will give her all the papers that I have for Lilly tomorrow and I will ask about these tests. About the heart - they have both have tests because my doctor said that sometimes kittens hearts are not fully developed and may have rumor(?), which they may outgrow, but none of them had it. The cats are not related at all - Lilly comes from Dallas, Max is Canadian. I have agreed to pay the breeder of Max for each kitten he fathers and she will do the paperwork. She said that female kittens would be blue with red and males will be blue. But the colour of the kittens does not matter - all will go to good homes of family members and friends. My breeder advised me to change the vet and I am searching for another one. Do you think it is a good idea to change the vet when the cat is pregnant? I mean he knows her from when she was a kitten.

10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Okay so sounds like you at least have the breeders consent and that is good.

Why does your breeder want you to change vets? I'm confused?

One male needs at least 3 girls to keep him satisfied and would probably end up spraying (very very smelly) and needing his own outside run and house. He may still do this having had his "way" now.

The heart test is for a genetic condition called HCM (Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) and testing | international cat care), it is rare in kittens but comes on as the cat ages - between 2 or 3 is when it tends to be detected, but it can be later. It is a degenerative fatal condition. It is passed from mother and/ or father to kittens.

Tests are genetic to see if the cat carries the one KNOWN gene (there are more not identified yet) and then yearly heart scans to see if the disease has appeared. Defective 'stock' must not be bred from.

PKD (Polycystic kidney disease (PKD): Gene test and negative register | international cat care) is easier to test for and is the simple genetic test.

Guessing from those colours that your girl is blue and your boy cream? ANd I hope pointed, otherwise not ragdoll.

11. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

Just out of curiosity, what registry is this so called "breeder" registered under???

12. Edi

Edi PetForums Newbie

They are both pointed, but honestly we love these cats and it wouldn't matter if they were not pure ragdolls. We are not selling the kittens - they will go to family members who want kittens from these two cats. None of the families would breed the kittens. It's just me, and if it doesn't happen now, it won't happen at all. Thank you for all the info about the tests - I will ask about it. We will get the male fixed right after the kittens are born. I want to make sure that the female dosn't get pregnant again and that I have enough time to give him some extra love and attention after he's been neutered. It may sound funny, but I want him to feel loved and cared for after this.
    Just out of curiosity - how do breeders make money? The whole thing is so expensive - mom needs kitten food and the kittens too, and they will all need to be vet checked and vaccinated, I just don't see how the prices of some kittens can be so low. It would be cheaper for me to buy them. Me and hubby agreed that we are doing this for us - we want to give our cat a chance to be a mom, before we spay her, we want her to have an almost natural life, and we are not selling the kittens. But for all those who do, I don't see how they can make money out of it. I know why you think that I am irresponsible to breed my cat. And I realize that there is a chance that something may go wrong. We will do everything in our power to make sure that she and the kittens are ok. I know that cats are not humans, but I would feel terrible if I didn't have the chance to have children, because this would lower my chances of getting cancer.
    We had a male cat before, I brought him from Europe and he was with me for 16 years. He started spraying when he was about 9 years old and we fixed him. He stopped spraying, but he did change. He was not a purebred cat, but we loved him so much and it didn't matter to us. I found him when he was very, very little and he was almost drowned in a puddle after the rain. i fed him yoghurt because we didn't have access to a vet and someone told me that cows milk is not good for him. I still have his ashes and I can't let go of him. It's probably just me, but I felt like I betrayed him when I brought him here and got him fixed. Maybe he changed because of the new place, not because he got fixed. I don't know. I still think that animals are happier when they have more natural life.

13. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

:eek: breeders dont make money,and even if you get your boy fixed he may now hes had a taste..and spray anyway.

You say you wouldnt mind if your cats wernt pure bred well thats not a good view to have.

14. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

Projecting your own emotions and thoughts about human reproduction onto your cats is in no way shape or form allowing them a "happier and more natural life." Quite the opposite. This is really only about you.

15. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Make money PMSL .... If you honestly think we do it to make money you are seriously misguided .... Money does not come into it at all

16. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

:laugh: no it goes out of it :laugh:

17. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Like it ... Lol

18. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

What's that saying, if you want to make a small fortune out of breeding - start with a large fortune ;)

The ragdoll breeders I know DNA test for HCM, along with a scan at 12 months and repeated yearly. They also test for MPSM for those with chocolate and lilac lines.

I don't know any who sell entire cats for one litter of pets for family and friends. If you want to play happy kitty families foster a pregnant cat for a shelter, all the joy and heartbreak of 'breeding' while doing some good at the same time.

Recording mating dates for a planned mating is pretty basic, you'll have to take a lot of time off work now since you don't know when the kittens are due.

#18 spotty cats, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  19. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Why wait until kittens are born to neuter him? She is pregnant, he has done his bit and can remain fertile after neutering and you say you only want 1 litter.

20. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Because they may want more

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice