Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pregnant cat not very well.Advice please

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by silverhorse, Mar 29, 2011.

1. silverhorse

silverhorse PetForums Member

Bluebell is due in 10 days and has got the runs .Could it be worms perhaps and dare I worm her so close to having the kittens. I am trying taking her off wet food onto biscuits which she likes and I could try a little cooked chicken. Any advice please.

2. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

sorry no advice, didnt want to read and run.

hope someone comes along soon. and good luck x

3. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

How long has she had the diahorrea?

I would recommend you give the vet a call, you can ask what would be suitable for worming, although i doubt this is the cause. When was she last wormed? I find worming isn't really required for indoor only animals with no contact with any outdoor animals.

Changes in diet is the most common cause for diahorrea.

I don't see why you're changing her from wet to dry food, wet is much better for them, and dry doesn't give much variety.

Try feeding boiled rice and plain cooked chicken and see if things 'firm up'.

I would personally ask the vet for advice, could be nothing, pregnancy changes the hormone balance.

Good luck with your girl, and with your litter :)

4. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Good advice above, which I would second :)

It's not just the mum cat to consider but her unborn kittens, do the right thing by them and get mum checked over. Hope all is well.

5. draculita

draculita PetForums Member

I have a girl who has a day or two of diarrhea towards the end of her pregnancies. I think you can give Panacur to pregnant girls but check with your vet first. I second the boiled chicken and Goats yoghurt for upset tums. I hope it settles quickly.

6. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

I hope it clears up soon, do keep us posted,:)

7. silverhorse

silverhorse PetForums Member

had a word with the breeder on the phone she too suggests the chicken or a little boiled fish. She has been eating a lot more wet food lately and this may have triggered things off. I will have a word with the vet tomorrow if things dont clear up quickly. Thanks for all your advice.

8. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I wouldnt change her food, I worm mine 7days before they give birth with wormers that are safe during pregnancy, mine sometimes get upset tums a few days before the birth and after, then it goes. I always worm my indoor animals, the vet recomend every 3-6months for purely indoor cats, Ive fostered cats that were indoor only and one had thread worms (many years ago) and it was awful to watch :(
    Ive always been taught to worm 7days before the birth to make sure that mus is 100% clear so the kittens wont be born with any, then worm kittens from 4weeks of age and mum again at 4weeks.

Let her eat as much as she wants as she will know how much she needs, and boy do they need it! :001_smile:

#8 Taylorbaby, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice