Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Pregnant cat help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tabbymctat, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Tabbymctat

Tabbymctat PetForums Junior

Hi, new here but I'm just after a little bit of advice.
    I will try to be brief.
    My husband is currently working in what was a disused building in quite a rural area. About 3 weeks ago he came across a cat within the building. At first I presumed feral but then he said it was really quite friendly and after a few days began feeding it and this has carried on.
    Anyway end of last week he noticed that the cat was looking quite rounded...you can guess where we're going here. So today I drove down and yes, the cat is indeed pregnant and there's definante movements in her belly.
    I came home and posted on a lost and found pet page and also on the local news page for the area and so far no one has come forward.
    My question is this, do I leave the cat there and send my husband with some blankets and towels etc and attempt to make her a bed or do I bring her home.
    I'm more than happy to do that, I have 2 cats of my own that are vaccinated and I have a spare room both downstairs and upstairs I could put her in.
    But then part of me thinks what if she's lost and has a home and I'm just taking her away, the area is about 40 minutes from my house.
    I'm not really sure what to do for the best here so any advice is appreciated.

2. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

If she has a local home, it can't be a very good one if they let a cat out that is so near birthing - she could have the kittens anywhere and be very vulnerable. I'd take her now and get her checked at the vets for a chip.

Pinto, Gallifreyangirl and buffie like this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Tabbymctat and welcome :)

I think once you have ascertained the cat does not belong to anyone local to the disused building (by asking any neighbours) you should bring her to your home where she can have her kittens in safety and warmth, be well fed and well looked after by a caring 'cat' person like you. .

The other alternative if you prefer, is to contact your local cat rescues, particularly Cats Protection who have volunteers who do kitten fostering in their own homes.

Whichever you decide to do, I should move her as soon as you can, before she gives birth.

If you decide to bring her home, I would still notify Cats Protection straight away, as they will be able to help you home the kittens when the time comes. CP also have 'chip' readers so they can scan her and see if she is microchipped.

Good luck. x

4. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Bring her home and let her have her kittens with you. Try and find her home in the meantime, but right now she needs somewhere warm and safe to have her kittens

5. Tabbymctat

Thank you for your input, it is very much appreciated.
    I think I knew in my heart of hearts that I should bring her home but I did have that niggle that if she was someones cat I'm potentially 'stealing' her. My two cats are my world and the thought of someone taking them doesn't bare thinking about.

With regards to asking 'neighbours', I could and can do this but we are taking a good 10minute walk to the nearest houses and then where do I even start?

There's a cat protection van parks a couple of streets away from me, in assuming whomever lives there works/volunteers for them so I shall take a walk around there in the morning after the school run and hopefully have a chat, never thought of doing that if I'm honest.

Very little I can do tonight now, it will be very dark at the building and tbh I wouldn't feel safe going alone at this time (My husband would need to stay home with my two children).
    Feeling bad now and probably going to get very little sleep worrying, wish I'd have made the post sooner and sorted something in the daylight.
    Anyhow hopefully I can catch the cat protection lady tomorrow and if she isn't about I will go and collect the cat.

After reading up on the internet it appears she could be quite far along as I could see the kittens moving, is that correct?
    I do hope she hangs on until I get to her, I feel really bad for leaving her now but I was so worried she may have a home somewhere and I just wasn't sure what to do for the best.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, I think her pregnancy is probably quite far along. The kittens 'drop' (for want of a better word) in her abdomen when they are about to be born, so she would seem less bulky at her sides. I do hope you manage to get her before she has them. Hopefully the person from CP might come and help you catch her in the morning.

If the nearest house is a 10 minute walk it seems unlikely she has a home that far away. She might have been dumped in the area. I would rescue her tomorrow and then ask CP to scan her for a microchip later. In the unlikely event (as chipping is usually done when a kitten is spayed) that she has a 'chip' the details may not even be up to date.

Please let us know how things go. :)

7. Tabbymctat

I won't have any problem catching her I don't think, she literally follows my husband and his colleagues around most of the day lol.
    I will most certainly have her scanned as soon as I collect her, if the cp lady isn't around I will call into my vets.
    Looking at her today she was definitely bulky at the sides, looks like she had swallowed a rugby ball, that kind of shape very prominent at the sides, do you think that sounds like I may still have chance to get to her or does the dropping happen pretty swiftly?
    I will most definitely keep you updated, I will need all the help and advice I can get :)

chillminx likes this.
  8. Tabbymctat

My husband is just in from the gym and is going to have a drive over to see if he can see her. I've got myself into such a flap now wishing I'd have brought her home earlier.

Emmasian likes this.
  9. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

You are doing everything you can, and it's wonderful you and your husband care so much. Fingers crossed she hangs on till you get her into that nice warm room. Please do keep us posted.

10. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Kittens can be seen moving from about 7 weeks so she may still have plenty of time. A large litter will tend to move less just before birth.

chillminx likes this.
  11. Rufus15

Kittens should never move less before arriving, but they may appear to once the belly drops. When you feel, they should still be as active as they were before.

Well done for looking out for this little lady and her babies, your husband is so sweet for going out to look for her. Hopefully she's with you by now, or at least will be by this evening.

Pics and updates when you can please :)

12. Tabbymctat

Last night was a fail, he didn't stay long but it was so dark and wet.
    She's there this morning and is still pregnant (he's just rang).
    So I have my cat carrier ready and have ordered a cage and bed which Argos is delivering at some point this morning. Once I've done the school run I shall wait for the delivery which should be here by 10 then go get her. I'm going to go and speak to the CP lady once she's here.
    I'll update once I've got her.

AmsMam, Emmasian, DolomiTTe and 4 others like this.
  13. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Not all my kittens can have read the information you have. Large litters have much less room so it is nothing to worry about. If there was no movement at all, it might be cause for concern. When/if you ever have 40 litters, you may be a little less dogmatic.

By the way, the belly only drops very close to birth as the kittens start to move towards the birth canal.

chillminx and OrientalSlave like this.
  14. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

This can, and does, vary between cats and litter sizes. Cross posted with @QOTN
    Good luck with catching this girl @Tabbymctat

chillminx and QOTN like this.
  15. Rufus15

Good luck!

16. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Ooh you're wonderful @Tabbymctat , good luck, do let us know how you get on and pop back with any questions.

I'm sure you will be doing this anyway but do ensure to keep her fully separate from your other cats. Although they've been vaccinated she could have fleas or even tummy upsets which could be contagious so just be mindful. We have loads of fosterers here who may be able to offer you some top tips :)

17. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Waiting with bated breath....! (you angels!)

#17 lorilu, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Good luck @Tabbymctat, and bless you for looking after this cat. :)

DolomiTTe likes this.
  19. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

What a lovely thing to do. Hope all goes well (it usually does!) and I'm sure you will enjoy the kittens.

20. Tabbymctat

Just a super quick update whilst I grab something to eat, she's here and she's just beautiful. Haven't managed to see the cp lady so will have a drive around there later on tonight.
    I'll pop back later with a photo.

Emmasian, Jaf, vivien and 14 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice