Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnancy labour

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Harriette234, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Harriette234

Harriette234 PetForums Newbie

Hi I’m not sure if my french bulldog is in early labour she is 58 days pregnant and she’s been panting but not all the time she’s not eating or drinking but she can’t get comfortable or settling? The puppies have been moving around a lot so I don’t know if that means there ready to come or not? I’m first time doing this just unsure?

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Do you know how many pups she's carrying?

If her litter is large, then 58 days could be reasonable for her to begin labour.

Intermittent panting, restlessness and loss of appetite can all be signs that labour is beginning.

For now, be sure she's not too warm and keep her within your eyesight. If she asks to go outside, stay with her.

If this is the onset of labour, then the panting should become more regular.

3. Harriette234

My vets isn’t answering

4. Harriette234

She is have 4 maybe 5 as there was a bubble so could be 5 but definite 4, she’s always within my eyesight, I take her outside but she barley wants to anymore which I’m not sure

5. Harriette234

She’s not hot or anything but her belly on the bottom is quite hot

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Four or five would not be a big litter for a Frenchie, so, you would expect her usually to go closer to her 63rd day.

Having said that, we have had a number of threads on here where Frenchies have delivered a few days early.

All you can do now really is watch and wait. As I said, if the panting becomes more persistent and, if she begins digging/nesting, keep her with you and try to encourage her to use her whelping box.

If the panting continues, even intermittently, I would sleep with her overnight.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  7. Harriette234

She has been nesting all day we went to the vets 3 days ago and she is bigger for what she should be for only 4 pups, she’s in her whelping box right now and all she does is keeps digging at her bed and covers and laying down flat just panting

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It does sound as though she's feeling some twinges or early pains.

Sometimes, this can stop for a day or two, but it could well be early labour.

There really is nothing you can do now, other than watch and wait. If she begins shivering/trembling, that is a sign that labour is becoming established.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice