Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pregnancy help

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by lisaathome, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lisaathome

lisaathome PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I have a 2 year of cat who "WAS" in season for the last 2 days... as I strongly believe a cat should have at least 1 litter of kittens before neutering, I arranged a "special cuddle" as my children called it.. when I first put the 2 cats together, she really wasn't happy but we just left them to it... after an hour we checked them and they were sitting next to each other happy enough, now there had been plenty of loud noises but when I went to get her after 3 hours, my cat (bubbles) wasn't happy again, spitting and hissing everytime he went near her... today after only 3 day of heat , shes nolonger in heat she also spent the rest of yesterday cleaning her nether regions, and now my older queen neutered female won't leave her side... does make sense for mating or just a fussy cat??? Any advice/ information please... xx

2. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

What breed of cat are we talking about?
    Were both parents tested for genetic issues?

Temporally_Loopy likes this.
  3. lisaathome

Both were healthy ragdolls he's produced healthy kittens before and as I bought her through gumtree I'm not sure of her heritage... I will ad she's now meowing loud so I must be wrong... I don't know really...

4. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I'm sure you will get many replies, i am unfortunately unable to help you.

5. lisaathome

Thanks for replying any help is good help...

6. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Why do you think a cat should have kittens before neutering? From Cats Protection:
    "Contrary to popular belief, there are no health or welfare benefits in allowing a cat to have a litter of kittens before she is neutered and providing appropriate care can be costly and time-consuming." - from:
    http://www.cats.org.uk/uploads/docu...ant_cats,_birth_and_care_of_young_kittens.pdf

Without proper documentation for your cat you've no idea if her kittens may suffer genetic problems and without proper documentation they will essentially just be moggies anyway. I think you should get your cat spayed now before she manages to escape and mates with some random tom.
    However if you must persist that document does give quite a lot of information about the actual birth and rearing process.

7. lisaathome

I've always believed in give an animal a chance to be a mother... I personally think there is a difference between a cat who'd had kittens and not!!! But it's a matter of opinion.... as for kittens... ill make sure any kittens go to a good home not to a pound sign...
    Thanks for the help... I was just wanting to know about what happens after mating...

8. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

My cat had kittens when at the shelter - not sure how she is different to one who never did. If anything I've always thought the reason she's so small is that she got pregnant far too young. Don't forget there are always risks to the cat's life and health from pregnancy - and no benefits I've heard of. I can't believe cats have a self awareness that would make them feel incomplete by never having had offspring.
    But if you are determined then good luck to you and puss.

9. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Why? Cats are not humans, they don't think or feel like we do. Leaving a female kitten unsprayed exposes her to a risk of breast cancer that goes up each time she calls, and of pyometra - often fatal infection of the uterus. Letting her get pregnant exposes her to all the risks of pregnancy, deliver and lactation. They are small but real and deeply upsetting. My advice is get her neutered ASAP.

Additionally there are a number of health issues specific to Ragdolls, HCM being one which doesn't usually show until a kitten becomes a cat and is several years old. You have absolutely no idea of her background so no idea how closely or not she is related to your boy, and I'm pretty sure you've not done any DNA testing.

My advice is get her neutered ASAP.

10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

PS - 'special cuddle'? That's awfully twee. And what do you think the difference between a cat that's had kittens and one that hasn't is? I've got registered pedigree breeding cats, yes they are all different but that's because they are all individuals.

11. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

You're not actually sure they mated ? Mating should be supervised as it can cause severe injury to both male and female, if the male withdraws prematurely his barbed penis can cause tearing of the female's vagina. Cats can fight viciously if the female is not receptive resulting in all sorts of injuries. There is nothing tender and romantic in cats mating, you took a big risk.

12. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

I have nothing to say :Facepalm :Yawn

13. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Special Cuddle!!!! o_Oo_O Are you kidding me, have you ever seen cats mating!!!

14. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

You think you've seen/heard it all but there is always someone able to prove you wrong :rolleyes:

15. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I don't believe a word. I've always done supervised matings and I've never had to hang about for an hour - or three! There's no way the opening post is based in reality.

lorilu and catcoonz like this.
  16. leashedForLife

for the OP - here ya go
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cats+mating
    there are dozens of videos, cats are not "tender" or "loving" when they mate - the F doesn't ovulate until AFTER she's been bred, & the trigger for ovulation is the barbs of the male's penis, which face backward, scratching along her tender, swollen vaginal walls. - Ow.
    Not romantic, no candlelight dinner, no hand-holding. // The F will often attack the M when he dismounts, as it bl**dy well hurts, & in cats,
    pain = aggression.
    U can smack a pup or dog, & get away with it - smack a cat?.. They perceive it as a threat or aggro, & may very well hate, fear, or avoid U for months if not years; it can damage trust for a cat's lifetime.
    Many toms are actually brutally direct & rough, mounting is easily described as rape, & they dismount & leap to safety in practically one movement, as they know from experience what comes next - she swats or bites the H*** out of him.
    Good luck finding homes - one of our "barn cats" in my long-ago rural childhood had 14 kittens in a single litter. [They all died, during an out of season mid-April snowfall - i didn't have to find homes for 14 kits!]

Vantuuz likes this.
  17. leashedForLife

Also to add: personally, i'd get her spayed just as soon as this estrus ends - before U can even tell if she's preg.
    The world is not in need of more poorly-planned, unscreened dam & sire, 'extra' kittens. We have literally millions upon millions of unwanted, surplus cats & kittens, all over the globe.
    They cause enormous damage when free-roaming, killing wildlife, p*ssing off the folks whose gardens they sh!t in / whose houses or property they spray, making ill-will toward cats when they fight at un-Godly-AM, & basically wreaking havoc.
    Then they die on the roads & streets, or in the woods & fields, while the surviving kittens breed as young as 4 to 5-MO, & the cruel cycle goes on.

Irresponsibility & ignorance are no excuse for bringing more surplus kittens with iffy genetics into the world. // U asked for opinions; that's mine, blunt, but accurate.

lorilu, buffie, spotty cats and 2 others like this.
  18. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

My advice would be to spay ASAP.

AmsMam, Matrod, lorilu and 2 others like this.
  19. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

Can't say that I can disagree with any of the sentiments expressed here, which are pretty polite considering some of the recent and current threads about birthing kittens.

You said that you bought a cat from Gumtree, do you have any idea of her parentage or whether there is a possibility of her carrying something like HCM. Having had a kitten die of this heart disease before its first birthday I would never consider purchasing one that was not bred from parents where any recognised hereditary diseases (which differ between breeds) had been screened for.

I was very trusting for my first kitten and look the word of a friend / colleague that she had had healthy kittens from this breeder in the past (and perhaps she was lucky). On the other hand mine, who I now realise was small from the start, went downhill once he started to get heavier and (presumably) was putting more strain on his heart. He had many, many vets appointments, scans, medication, a trip to the Royal Veterinary College for further scans, yet more medication and finally, at just over nine months of age he had to be PTS. Death from this disease would not have been pleasant for my kitten if I hadn't taken this heartbreaking decision. I was warned that he wouldn't just quietly fall asleep, he would have died choking for breath. Not something anyone would put their pet through.

I am telling you this because it is one of the things that you (or those who end up with one of your kittens) run the risk of experiencing first hand. As others will no doubt point out, unless your female has her registration papers then you will not be breeding pedigree ragdolls.

20. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice