Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

prefering dry food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Evurr, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

Since getting our lads (now 4 months) we have been feeding them a mixture of wet and dry food.

They have felix or tescos kitten pouches 4 times a day totaling 3 pouches each and they have a bowl of the welbeloved kitten biscuits which is always topped up. I read on here to steer clear of whiskers and I haven't seen any other kitten food available that I don't need to open a vein for.

Now I know that the tesco and felix isn't the best food but when I previously asked about only feeding dry food I was told it wasn't good for them.

Anyways, it seems that they much prefer the dry food and I am throwing away quite a lot of the wet.

I am fully aware that a cat would happily starve to death rather than eat food it didn't like so I'm stumped as to what to do.

All I want is for them to eat the best that I can afford and to be happy.

Can someone give me some advice?

I don't know if it has any bearing but the wet food is in the kitchen and the dry is in the conservatory (to encourage them to use the cat flap in preparation for going outside when they are old enough) There is a bowl of water next to each.

2. Trellis

Trellis PetForums Member

Could you try mixing the wet with the dry in one bowl and gradually reducing the amount of dry? It might be that just putting them in the same place might help too!

Hi-Life is fairly decent and not too expensive, as is Purely (from Pets at Home). Might be worth trying a higher quality wet food because it'll be more economical in the long run if they don't waste it! The Purely dry kitten food is ok too - they do a 65% chicken one. Fluffy has 2-3 pouches/tins per day and dry left down all the time but he usually only eats the dry when he's starving and there's no wet food left!

3. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

Trellis

Is there a Hi-Life kitten food or is it ok for them as it is?

I put some biccies on their breakfast this morning, I'll see if it made a difference.

4. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Tesco do a good one, Natures somethingor other. It is the little tray and they are selling them for 21p at the moment. There flavours are limited to turkey and rice and one other but other than that they are good.

Tescos finest is a good one too. We are on Hi-Life at the moment and they all seem quite happy with it. My outdoor cat seems to eat more dry than wet food too.

5. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Perhaps you're feeding them too much wet food? It goes horrible not long after you put it out so many cats, quite rightly, will turn their noses up if they are only grazing on it.

I feed a small tin of Encore every evening that my cat goes mad to get to but leave out dry all day.

6. loobs101

loobs101 PetForums Newbie

Yes, there is a hi-life kitten that you can get in PAH or tesco. Tesco luxury isn't too expensive and is good quality.

I have the same problem at the moment. My kitties have been refusing to eat any wet food, I think its the hot weather.

7. Evurr

Evurr PetForums Member

well, it seems putting some dry on top of their wet is working as they polished off tea last night and breakfast this morning! Thank you so much.

But, I will look into the Hi-Life stuff as I like the way it really is fish. A friend of mine used to feet her cats it.

Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice