Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pre mating tests?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Taylorbaby, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

do dogs need any pre-mating tests? Likes cats need to be fiv/felv neg for example.

I cant remember where I read it but it said that you need to have the herpes injections twice after the mating, but do they need anything else before mating?

I dont have dogs by the way, Im genuinly interested! :)

2. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Nope, the herpes (CHV) can be done before mating but a lot of people don't give the infection (bit silly really seeing at they can pick up the infection just by sniffing another dog- not even mating, so is quite easy to pick up).

Some stud owners will request that the bitch has a course of anti biotics the week before mating (or during mating days).

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

so its a good thing to have the herpes injections?

why the course of anti-bs? just to make sure they are healthy?

its amazing how much you need to learn, I was just browsing through the adverts of dogs and it just made me wonder with all those dogs how many really do any health tests / anything to do with mating, must be like 10% :blink:

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I've never had any adverse effects that I could blame on the canine herpes jab, so for me there appear to be minimal risks associated with it, however, like with all vaccinations, there are risks so you can't say its 100% safe (risk of infection in needle site etc etc).

Yep, basically just a short course of anti bios to limit any chance of infection (from kennel cough to pyometra).

5. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

blimey it is a mindfield!! :blink:

6. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

No, cats are a mine field ;). A lot of people don't use either of the above, its not a necessity, the CHV is just a precaution, and will have no effect on a male dog if he catches it, apart from he'll likely pass it on. There has been a lot of research that the CH virus and the occurence of fading puppy/ absorbtions are correlated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice