Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Praising dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jul 8, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

This morning on my walk with Alf, I bumped into a woman that we see quite often, but this morning we walked a little way together.
    Now I'm not moaning about this lady, she took on a very nervous red setter that had been ill treated in it's previous home and has done a marvellous job in training and rehabilitating the dog using kind consistent methods.
    I did notice though, and have noticed it before in other people, that when she called the dog back, the dog would bound back to her, looking at her intently, I assume looking for the praise that it used to get when she was first training.
    The dog is now very reliable in every respect and this lady seemed oblivious to her dog asking for acknowledgement.
    I found this quite sad
    I still always make a point of praising Alfie whenever he is good but so many people seem to forget to do it once past the training stage

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thats really sad, but all too common i think.

Sometimes it seems that people think that once training is done, they dont have to maintain it.

Mine get praised everytime they do as they are asked. Its just habit.

I think praise in response to recall is very important. If coming back isnt rewarding, then why would a dog bother? Sniffing stuff and running off is far more exciting.

3. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

It is sad when praise is limited. We have my 6 year old son parrot fashion with the dogs. He likes to ask them to sit or high 5 but forgot praise so my OH and i would follow on with "good girl peppa". Well now if we say a command all 3 of us will say "good girl peppa!" in unison out of habit.

i know.....odd in my house!!! :eek:ut:

4. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Aww that is sad.
    Although Bailey is really good at some things, I still praise him every time he gets something right and he is so much happier when I do so.
    x

5. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

ahh yes sad, praise should be done all the time for doing what you have asked, not just when training. I had to praise my dog this morning, just for dropping a stick and leaving it when told, but it was a 6 foot stick that he was trying to run along the path with:eek:ut: but he was soon distrated when given treat and we continued our walk, without the risk of getting my legs bruised:)

6. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Pippins recall isnt great, so I take treates whenever I walk her. Even when she is on lead, if she is a distance away on the extendable, I will call her back and she will come running and into a 'straight'...what they call it at obedience! She sits super close at my feet and looks at me and I treat her!

We always praise her, like when she finishes her tea or when she lets us clean her eyes....I think dogs always look for praise and they love it...its so simple too, just a few words and a pat!

I work with kids, and your taught to always praise good things, so I guess it just seems natural to do it with Pippin!

7. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Even after 8 years Cheeko gets alot of fuss for just eating his dinner. He loves it and I'd feel cruel not giving him any praise. At dog training I noticed as people got more advanced they gave their dogs less praise.

8. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I notice it too, sometimes they are too busy faffing or explaining why their dog does something or other, to remember the praise.

I like to think that rewards and praise are wages for the dog, we wouldn't work for free and neither should the dogs!

#8 alphadog, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  9. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

That is very sad, not something I'd want to see if I was training someone. I still praise all my dogs , maybe because I'm still surprised when some of them do something right!! :D Mind you if I over praise Sidney he gets excited and starts boinging and biting my hands so have to be abit reserved with his 'good boys'!!!:rolleyes:

10. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I have been guilty of it a few times, just because I don't think about it but i know that I pay the price the next day or so when one of dogs say,"come back? no thanks you're no fun".

I learn to always carry treats, a whistle and a squeaky toy now and always try to remember to praise my dogs :D

11. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Good point Rona, I have noticed that I do it with max and Lilly at times. Their recall is perfect and we do it all the time, so I forget to praise. Will take it on board.

Thanks for mentioning it x

12. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Well i definitely praise my boys. When they come back that is. Dante doesn't get much i'll have to admit because his recall is terrible! Mika on the other hand is very obedient so he gets a lot of praise. I always remember to praise my boys when they've done right.

13. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Henrick gets praised every time, he hardly ever gets the training treats now but he gets loads of verbal treats and tickles etc, I do have to remind the OH lots especially when Henrick has been slow to listen.

14. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

My eldest springer is nine next month and he still gets praised and treats, my younger one 11 months is very good we have been very lucky with her and like the elder one gets treats but neither of them every time, if there is aparticular hazard or something going on different around us like a tractor in the field and its mega important they stay by my side then its treats and praise all the way past. The normal/average recall its maybe every other time for them.

15. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

I can't imagine ever not praising Bailey if he's done good. It's just habit. With my first boy Rosco, he was praised his whole life for doing good things. Bailey will get the same. How could you not? It's just like saying thanks to a human when they do something you ask them to or do something nice or good.

16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I give both mine praise, especially fo recall as I think that is one of the most important commands. Dave is so funny though because if you tell him hes good he wags his tail so hard his whole body shakes and he nearly falls over! :D

x

17. Sheltielady

Sheltielady PetForums Junior

Quite right, I always praise mine. I find using praise always works, my dogs always respond well to it and carrying treats in my pocket helps too!

18. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

I always use lots of praise. Not a lot of treats but mega praise.

The funniest thing is how much an older dog still enjoys praise for simple basics. When I was toilet training Sheltie pup Kenna the minute I said "good girl" ancient old Arwen Pug would come over and wee as well. "Good girl Arwen". Her little Pug tail would nearly wag itself off with pleasure at the simple praise.:)

19. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

That's so sad. I know we have only had our puppy 4 weeks, but already he can sit, lie down, stop, come, spin, roll, high 5, shake hands, bounce, and heel as well as sit, lie down and stop from a distance command too (I am not showing off, but he is ;) ).

Yet everytime he simply sits for us, we tell him "good boy! good boy!".

I hope we don't lose it and become like this woman; because we have achieved so much more than we thought we could, and simply through praise.

:(

20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

wow, you have done well. How old is your pup. You must spend hours a day training him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice