Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Praise?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kat&molly, Apr 22, 2011.

1. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Scruffy is a noisy little madam, forever yapping in the garden, so for the past couple of weeks I've been going straight out and tell her 'IN'. When she comes in and shuts up I let her back again.
    This must be having some effect as shes barking and has started to come in before I even get there!! Not every time but more than half, so would you praise her for this, I havent said anything at yet as I'm unsure?

2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Once she gets inside, yes I would. By that time she is getting praised for coming in, so she should know. Dogs are crafty wotsits, though. I always give mine a biscuit or something to get them in at night when I want to go to bed, but they have taken to scratching at the door any other time then sitting there waiting for their biscuit! Haven't quite got the message that they don't get a treat when they want to come in, only when I want them to!

3. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Thanks Newfiesmum. I'll start praising then, perhaps the time shes barking may reduce. They are crafty, I'm sure this one is learning only the things that suit her!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice