Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pound prices of dogs. Why do they vary?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tafwoc, Jun 7, 2010.

1. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

After another thread, it just reminded me of an issue that has always really annoyed me. My local counsel pound has varying prices for the dogs, depending on their breed. Now they get 2 weeks and if they are not rehomed they get PTS. So why is it that they can charge a standard rate of £60 for most dogs, but if there is a bull dog or an alaskan malamute or a certain breed they charge upto £200?! Surely this affects the chances of the dog being rehomed?

An also begs the question of why they raise the price? who decides?

Have always wondered. If anyone knows the answer please feel free to fill me in.

2. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

ive never heard of this tbh

if you look on the SSPCA website you will see many pedigrees including a weimy and a 7mth old husky :(

AS far as im aware it like £80 to have a dog from them no matter what the breed x

3. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

there seems to be a worrying trend of disuading potential owners of these dogs by pricing them really high....
    on the other hand,...if a potential owner cant afford a couple of hundred quid for a dog how are they going to afford all the vets bills when it needs looking after/injections/spaying or neutering etc?

the rescue i work alongside charges different prices for different dogs but on average you could expect to pay £150 for a neutered dog. Believe me, this fee often doesnt even touch the surface of covering the cost of care that has gone into getting the dog ready for a new home. some are so traumatised that they need several months of respite and nurturing before they are healthy enough to go to their new homes.

gilly

4. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Its the same with battersea, or most rescues for that matter, they have one standard price no matter what breed.

So i think it's strange that counsel pounds differ

5. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Yes i understand what your saying, but this is a pound where they will be PTS, it is not a rescue. They don't even require you to get the dog you take neutered, most aren't even vaccinated. Only if they have been done by a previous owner.

6. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

The breed rescue I help with charges from £250 for a puppy down to next to nothing for an oldie, however, I do think £80 is incredibly cheap for a dog regardless, and if it's a pound where no home checks are done, I can't help but worry about where these dogs end up. I suspect it may be to put people off getting them, but cost isn't always an issue - a more effective method would be to do home checks on the potential owners. Honestly, I feel quite sick at the way pounds and some rescues work. It's as if anyone who will take a dog off their hands is ok.

I will probably get slated for this and a pet forum is probably not the place to say it, but there are worst things than being pts.

Just to add too, our local council doesn't run a dog pound, all strays are taken to Battersea Dogs Home. I think it would be better if all councils did this and used local rescues rather than these dreadful pounds that I've heard of.

#6 rocco33, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  7. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

I'm guessing that all counsel pounds differ? just like rescues.

The pound i talk about does do home checks, but just generally don't give a crap about the dogs and have seen them treating the dogs in their care with little respect. But surely a dog is a dog, regardless of breed. An if they put a price of £200 on a dog and it doesn't get rehomed in those 2 weeks it will be PTS. So surely putting a higher price on it's head is cutting it's chance of being rehomed within 2 weeks. :confused:

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

we dont have a council pound here, all strays go to a rehoming kennels and its I *think* £120 for a dog that includes jabs, neutered, some food to go home with and lifetime support.

The pound in ireland that the kennels take from via another charity charge only £10 per dog, any dog!

Its stupid they can charge that much for a dog that will be pts, you might have been a fantastic owner with heaps of love for that dog but just not had the 200 in such short time!

Cant you get a petition going to your local council or something?

9. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Yes i totally agree with you, there are worse things than death. But you don't need money to give a dog love. Im not saying you don't need money to have a dog, but you can be rich and not treat a dog correctly.

I have a dog from Battersea, that place is a god send! I really wish the dogs did go to rescues instead of pounds.

10. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Exactly! £200 isn't allot, but to get that within 2 weeks isn't always possible.

A petition to close it down? ;) Many people would agree that it's an awful place with little compassion towards the dogs.

11. BasenjiBaby

BasenjiBaby PetForums Newbie

I got both mine from DASS for £50 each, that's they're set price no matter the breed & they cover the cost of neutering/microchipping/vaccinations etc. The carry out a home check & leave you with the dog for 2 weeks, with food, toys, leads etc, to make sure you're compatible before you pay a penny. Both my dogs are fantastic & I'd recommend them to anyone in Scotland.
    I do know however that another rescue in our county is VERY particular about re-homing certain breeds...mainly rottweilers, staffies etc in case they get into the wrong hands. Could it be they're tring to out-price the sort of people who would be interested in a Malamute, Bulldog or similar as a fighting/attack dog? If so it'd make sense but still awful that they only get 2 weeks before they're euthanised...poor babies...wish I could re-home them all.
    Gotta keep playin the lottery I guess lol

12. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I'm presuming being a pound rather than a rescue they are likely to be entire still, but could it be that they are trying put off the type of people that would want one of these popular expensive breeds dirt cheap but may then sell on themselves for a profit or use to breed? Perhaps they have seen these breeds get cherry picked in the past and see them as a way of getting extra funds, 2 weeks sounds longer than most pounds offer so i wonder if the council pays full 14 days board or just the legal 7 days?

13. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

14. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Yeah i was thinking the same, because they tend to be a more expensive breed and are very much popular just out of reach cash wise to a lot of people, i think the pound might be worried that someones going to see this as a cheap money making machine and honestly they'd probably rather they got pts than went to some byb or pf or complete idiot. Sad but true - it's why people should at least buy a kc reg puppy - at least then they can go to the breed rescue if the worst happens or the owner gets fed up :(. x

15. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

But this is what i don't understand, they should require that the dog be neutered once you have possession of it, or include it in the price as been as they are charging over double the price of any other dog there. They then might end up with less dogs back there, or in the hands of BYB. But then again if they don't have the dogs they don't make any money, so i suppose thats why they don't care if they get bred.

16. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

I guess it's different for every council.

My local pound is £10 to buy a dog or a pup. Doesn't matter what breed/age etc...
    Others I know charge £60 and come with a voucher for neutering.

This country is a disgrace when it comes to council's and dogs. 4000 were put down last year in NI- in Scotland for the same time period I think the figure was 67.

17. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Honesetly they should just neuter them before they go anywhere :( that's if they actually cared about the dogs .. sadly it doesn't really sound like this place does x

18. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

I know. I think for this day an age, and a proclaimed country of animal lovers its disgusting. An this is how counsels encourage responsible owners? By letting them leave their hands un-neutered.

Who would i write to about this issue anyway? The more i think about it, the more it pisses me off. Like when poppy came from there she had a really bad kidney infection which led to urine crystals, kennel cough, mange and worms. When my sister called them just to inform them of her condition, and asked them how they could not have known about her kidney infection (her urine was a sickening smell!) and she drank over 2 large bowls of water a day. They just said it had nothing to do with them, they are only there for 2 weeks.

I don't know if i would change anything with a letter though. :(

19. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Few local authorities maintain their own kennelling facilities. Most contract out to a local commercial kennel. By law the LA is required to keep a stray for only seven days. After that time ownership of the dog transfers to the LA and it can do with the dog as it wants. Often they will gift the dog to the kennel and, I suspect, that may be happening in the OP's example. The kennel can then charge what they want or pts at will.

I am aware of one contractual arrangement whereby the LA, after seven days, gave the dogs to the kennel and also agreed to pay a fixed fee to the kennel if they pts the dog (to cover veterinary costs, admin, etc.). As a result this kennel would pts dogs on day 8 even when rescues spaces were offered because they made more money that way.

Whilst I agree that all rescues should neuter dogs before rehoming we cannot expect Local Authorities to do this with public money.

20. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

I didn't mean neuter them with tax payers money, i meant if they can charge more for a different breed, and their reason for doing so was because they didn't want them going to a BYB then they could use the extra money that they were charging on neutering them. Or raise the price of all the dogs, and neuter them as a requirement of the rehoming.

It's a shame really, there are no other rescues around here :( Only the greyhound rescue, which i hear do an amazing job.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice