Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pound Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by jenniferx, Jul 2, 2009.

1. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

Just another bump for the dogs in this pound. These pounds DO Pts. They cost just £10 if you wish to buy one of these dogs.

Lots of lovely dogs at the minute, inc. Two Newfies, St Bernard, Westies, Akita, Springer and many more.

Dog Control | Craigavon Borough Council

2. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

3. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

Just another bump for the dogs in this pound. They are very cheap to buy- just £20.

All the dogs listed that say:
    available for rehoming immediately

Were either handed in as unwanted by their owners or their holding time at the kennels is up (7days). This pound does destroy the dogs they cannot find homes for :(

Right now amongst others there is a Hungarian Vizsla that can be homed immediately.

#23 jenniferx, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

How sad, they all look quite scared in the pics :(

It's heart breaking the amount of dogs that are looking for new homes. I really hope these dogs get a a lovely new home but realise for a lot this just won't happen

5. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

I know, it's so sad. Especially when you consider people have handed their dogs in knowing that the dogs may die if they aren't lucky enough to find a new owner within the week.

I think that the kennels where they are held have had a lot more interest since they started the facebook page so hopefully that will help but there will always be some that don't make it.

6. patriciaf

patriciaf PetForums Newbie

If a dog is sold for only $20 that is telling people that they are worthless and as a result will be treted as such. Here in Calgary Canada we adopt dogs out for $475 (small) and $375 for large. Just a thought. Patricia

7. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

Hi Patricia. The dogs featured on this page are unwanted- they have either been surrendered by their owners or have been picked up off the streets. Most of the dogs are strays. The fee's are nominal charges to cover their board over the statutory seven days that the council are obliged to hold them before they are destroyed. The kennels are not a rescue- just a holding bay.

Unfortunately there are just too many dogs for people to pay those sort of figures. The supply far exceeds the demand. In Northern Ireland 1500 unwanted dogs were killed by the councils for 2011-2012. For such a small country with a comparatively low population (with the rest of the UK) that is a shameful statistic.

8. househens

househens Guest

bumpng this

9. househens

househens Guest

bumping this

10. househens

househens Guest

Bumping this. Extraordinary range of great dogs

11. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

Bumping again.

There are new dogs every (working) day.

Dogs at the minute include: JRT's, Lab's, Husky + many more inc. two puppies- a JRT and a springer spaniel.
    Call before travelling to confirm the status of the dog if you are interested.

12. Wyrd

Wyrd PetForums VIP

Anyone know if they reserve dogs? I might be going over in a few weeks again and my mum has just fallen in love with the Springer pup :001_wub:

13. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

Going by the facebook info. - if her owners don't come forward to claim her, there are already four people who have reserved her I am afraid.

It's sad really b/c you get that puppy advertised today and people are falling over themselves to buy her, yet there are dogs that have no interest that have been waiting and waiting and face PTS. That isn't a comment on you Wyrd or your mum- just a general observation about the popular versus unpopular dogs. Forgot to say that the dogs that have "Available for homing immediately" are unclaimed and their time is up or they have been surrendered to the council by their owners.

14. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

How easily can these dogs be rehomed in England? Is it feasible as long as a UK charity or foster home was available for them?

15. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

Hi Grace,

As far as I know if you were to come over there would be no problem in selecting a dog, taking ownership and bringing it back to other parts of the UK. This is a council pound (or more accurately a kennels that has the council tender) so it is not a rescue in the traditional sense- ie: there are no homechecks or anything like that. They fulfil a statutory council responsibility to hold the dogs for a week.

I do know that Assisi, a local rescue, does collect dogs from the pounds and transfers them to England- they call it "Chance of a Lifetime"
    Chance of a Lifetime

16. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

Lots of dogs in the pounds at the minute>>>>

Craigavon- Many are available for rehoming immediately.
    http://www.facebook.com/craigavonstraydogs

I also recently discovered that Carrickfergus Pound has an internet presence on facebook.
    Again plenty of dogs that are able to go to a new home right away. You can read for updates on individuals in the comments attached to their picture. There are depressingly quite a few oldies in there. :(

CARRICKFERGUS DOG POUND 02893 351639 DOGS CURRENTLY AT THE POUND | Facebook

17. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

Well just bumping as usual- but I also wanted to share this>

"HAPPY TAILS" - BEFORE + AFTER | Facebook

It is an album of Before/After for the dogs that have come out of Carrick pound. The differences in some of these dogs is incredible, it is like night and day both in physical appearance and how happy they look. I think these pictures are worth a thousand words.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice