Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Potty Training

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by claire, Aug 5, 2009.

1. claire

claire Guest

Megan is 3 and is just potty trained, she did it really quickly with very few accidents.

Tilly is 21 months and im tempted to try her at the same time get them both dry, and thought it might be easier if she has Megan to copy. Get all accident over and done with together.

Is she too young? has anyone else gone through potty training with a young child ????

2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I'm not sure if she is too young, my friends little girl was very young when she was trained. I would let her see what her big sister is doing and hope she follows lead. Best of luck.

3. claire

claire Guest

Im hoping thats what would encourage her to do it, seeing Megan doing it. i dont want to put too much pressure on her tho , i dont know what to do really lol

4. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

I wouldn't say too young to start the learning process...:)

Having someone to copy always helps... Abbie is 2 & half & is doing really well with the potty/toilet training... better infact than her friend who is older than her at the same child minder.

Although the older friend is now copying Abbie & getting better

:)

5. claire

claire Guest

Glad Abbie is going well, :)
    We started late with Megan because she didnt want to do it, but once we made her do it she was dry in a few days, bless her. I just thought it maybe easier for Tilly is she can copy Megs. Tilly is a wee machine there will be tiddle everywhere

6. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

It's also an idea time to do "washing wise"! ;) Give it a bash, I don't think it can do any harm. :)

7. kath123

kath123 Guest

I dont think she is too early claire, i have known children the same age and younger to be honest. Its when there ready i think. :D

Harry is 3 on august 31st and i am currently potty training him now. He is fine and would go on the toilet or potty all day if he didnt have pants or clothes on, but as soon as you put pants and clothes on him he thinks he has a nappy on. So would like to ask any ideas on how to overcome that? or will just do it in time?

xx

8. claire

claire Guest

Id say give it time :) megan still spends lots of time naked bottomed at the moment its easier for her. it will all come right

9. kath123

kath123 Guest

Thanks claire, i thought it might be like that, i think there comes a time when they hate the feeling of being wet etc but at the moment he doesnt care at all. :(

10. claire

claire Guest

LOL, bless him, im sure he will click with im soon. So much for potty training in the summer so ya can get things outside to dry pmsl

11. kath123

kath123 Guest

yes i know hun, i had so many good intentions in the 6 weeks!!! :(

Bloody british weather!!! :(

12. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Freddie is 29 months and we have been trying to potty train him. No luck yet though. He will happily sit on the potty but won't do anything on it yet. We're thinking of getting on of those little seats for the toilet for him to use. I did want him dry by the end of summer but we haven't had the weather for being able to dry lots of clothes.

13. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

My little boy was dry at day by his 2nd birthday so its nto to early if they are ready :)

My little girl was dry day and night at 2yrs 8months and hasnt ever had an acciedent she has an iron bladder (im jealous mines rubbish lol!)

Bare bottoms are they best way to start with i think, they get the feeling then they dont have to wait to pull anything down as sometimes they only realise with a few seconds to spare, then after 5-7days if they are gtting it bare bottomed try very light and i always used the next size up pants so they were roomy and use to slip down

I think the first trip out in pants is the worst thing about potty training

14. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Tolet training my son was quite difficult! Our house was cold so we couldn't let him walk about bare bottomed!
    We tried to get him to have a go but he just wasn't ready so left him for another few months.
    Once he felt ready to do it, it wasn't too bad. We made a great deal of him doing things in the potty and gave him a sticker reward sheet with special prizes for x amount of days with dry pants.

He is 4 now and will still have the odd accident but its mainly when he is too busy to think about going!
    We are just getting him out of nappies at night as I was advised by the health visitor that if his nappy was quite wet in the morning he wasn't ready yet. But I have been putting him to bed in pants and waking him up 2 or 3 times before we go, then putting a nappy on just incase. He gets a star for everytime he goes to the loo after bedtime, and a special sticker for waking up dry. The special sticker means he gets a cake after lunch and if he can go a week waking up dry he gets a new tractor :)

Good luck with toilet training :)

x

15. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

My little lad was potty trained by 23 months, he's now 3 1/2. My little girl is 20 months now and i haven't even thought about potty training yet eeek. I think it's going to be a nightmare.

16. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I've always lived by the rule, if they've slept the night through without soiling their nappy, I'd pretty much say they were ready to start ;)

17. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Every child is different but its never too early to start potty training, or at the very least letting her sit on potty etc. As she has Megan to copy she'll prob pick it up a bit quicker than she would normally. Both my boys were dry during the day by about 2 1/2 - 3 and dry all night not long after. We gave them stickers to stick on the potty (was a potty/stool from argos that we kept in the livingroom), if you are just in the house its easier as you can keep pants off them but I would try and concentrate on 1 week when you can just stay in house all week and get it over and done with hopefully.

I am rambling away here...hope it makes sense, but there's no rush....they'll just do it when they are ready and there's no point pushing them to do it.

Good Luck xx

18. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

I do not think there is too early if the child is ready. But potty training really only does work when they are ready eh!
    My son was dry day and night by 3. I tried him not long after he turned 2 but he was clearly not ready, so I left it a few months, tried again and he was great. Only a handfull of accidents. Dry day and night within 6 weeks which isn't too bad going.
    With night times I left a nappy on untill it was dry in the mornings a few nights in a row. Then he went to bad with just pyjamas, no pants, and I would take him to the the toilet once before I went to bed.
    He got lots of praise for using the toilet. I bought him the Kandoo wipes, they helped.

Good luck, you never know, she could take to it really well and there will be no more nappies soon!

1 person likes this.
  19. claire

claire Guest

Thanks for the great advice all, i think im gonna try it , might aswell, if she isnt ready I will just put her back in nappies :) :)

ya all stars

20. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

My daughter was 25 months when she was potty trained and we started on Monday and by tuesday she was on the potty!! Yeah obviously we had accidents but not many! I was so proud of her. She wanted to go on just before she was 2 but as we were going away for 10 days i wasn't fair to start her.

With Megan using it she will probably just pick it up eventually! A lot of children look up to their older siblings.

Good luck! x

1 person likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice