Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Potty Training

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kath123, Jul 15, 2009.

1. kath123

kath123 Guest

Can anyone please, please, please help me with this!!!

I am trying to potty train my harry and i have spent the whole day with a potty next to him but he still poos and wees in his pants!!! :(:(

He is starting nursery in september and they have said they willnot take him if he is not completely potty trained, Which gives me 6 weeks to get him dry.

I honestly dont think he knows that he needs to go to the toilet. The health visitor said "he WOULD know but all day i have constantly been saying "harry do you need the toilet etc and he says NO and then i look and he is soaking or poo'ed all over my settee or floor!!! :(:(

I know they say not to tell them off etc but i have been trying this for months now and i just dont know what else to do.

Kath xxxxx

2. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

ok i know its different for all kids but try a routine, say when he gets up sit him on the loo and say lets see if you need to go......he may not do anything but when kids are half asleep they cant always hold it in out of protest lol. by the way one of mine didnt like potty went straight to toilet so your son may be the same, try him on the big loo if he is willing. Then try every half hour at first until you get him to do alot then leave it an hour gradually getting further apart. The nearest one of my boys got to the potty was putting it on his head lol.

3. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

I used to sit my girls on the toilet and run the tap :eek: then make a big big fuss when they obliged, if you can crack the one the other normally follows ;)

4. kath123

kath123 Guest

James was brilliant he took to it like a duck to water and never had any trouble. xxx

5. animallover111

Just a thought but he might not like the potty neither of mine used one they went straight on the loo like big girls and boys.....might be worth getting one of those seat things for your loo......:)

6. kath123

kath123 Guest

I havent tried that yet so will have to give that a go. :D

7. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

my nephews both refused to use the potty, but took to the toilet really well.....if you think about it, they see us use a toilet, not a potty, so they might look at a potty and wonder what the hell its all about lol

8. animallover111

Its worth a try especailly if he see's big brother go on the big boys toilet too......:)

9. animallover111

Both mine never used the potty well jack used to wear it as a hat but thats it.......:eek: :D

10. kath123

kath123 Guest

lol i have just had such a stressful day with it all and the time bomb is ticking as i only have 6 weeks until he is 3yrs old and starts nursery and they wont take him if he isnt done. So am feeling the pressure i suppose.

I will try the big toilet as that may make him do it. thanks everyone for your advice. Am just stressed today thats all. :mad:

11. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

lol best way i think, good lad! :D

12. animallover111

well he is 13 now im hoping he still doesnt wear it..............:D

13. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

lol anythings possiable with teenagers, all them raging hormones etc.

14. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

i'm not comparing your son to a dog when i say this so please don't be offended...but have you ever tried rewarding him if he does go?

use that as an incentive for him - "sweetie, if you actually go potty you'll get a sticker on your chart for being a good boy" or something along the lines. And then if he has enough stickers for the week you can buy him something special.

15. kath123

kath123 Guest

Ooh yeh that would be good if i started a reward chart for him etc. Thank you for that, and no of course im not offended, you have given me a great idea. Thanks xx

16. kathryn773

kathryn773 PetForums VIP

WHO has told you the nursery wont take him? Nursery teacher? Playground gossip?

Point 1. Do not panic yourself over the fact that the nursery wont take your child unless completely toilet trained,,, they CAN NOT refuse a child, it is not inclusive practice, speak to the head, speak to OFSTED and the governors.

Point 2. Harry, a boy, statistically later to toilet train than girls. The muscle is a muscle that needs to develop sufficiently before he can begin to train. No matter what you attempt he will not be able to train before his body is able.

Point 3. repetition of point 1!!

point 4, Stop worrying, some children click over night and never look back.

point 5. good luck!

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh hun :( I have no advice for you but will remember this thread when I need it :p

18. kath123

kath123 Guest

Thank you hun, the nursery teacher told me that the school wouldnt take him but thanks for all your tips and advice.

I have got myself all stressed out today for no reason and i know that if i am ranting and stressed it will upset him and put him off so thanks. xx

19. kathryn773

kathryn773 PetForums VIP

The nursery teacher is avoiding work!! Challenge the school, ask to see the policy file. ask to see the inclusion policy.
    If, come September, Harry is still developing his skills, then ask to speak to to school SENCO about parent partnership and support for Harry. This does not mean Harry has learning difficulties, but school should be positive.

I agree with the reward system, My Andy needed encouragement, - he got to the point he sat on the potty, squeezed out a tiny wee, and said 'sweetie' . This was when i changed it to a sticker chart reward system!

20. kath123

kath123 Guest

Thank you hun that has calmed me down a lot. xxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice