Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Potty Training Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Horse and Hound, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Recently I went on holiday for 2 weeks and left my puppy in the care of a friend and his wife/kids.

They did a brilliant job with him. It was like dog borstal I think! He now stays in the kitchen at night in his crate. He let him out to the toilet and he goes straight into it. He cries for about 2/3 minutes but then we don't hear a peep until the next morning. He's also much better at being left alone. Neighbours say he stops crying now after 5/10 minutes.

The only issue I'm having is his toilet training. My friend said they got him to elminate on a piece of paper at the back door. But as soon as he came home he peed on the floor in the living room. I put it down to excitement but he seems to be no different, despite my friend saying he was good as gold and really good with them at going to the piece of paper.

He's only 11 weeks, so I'm probably expecting too much, but does anyone have any advice for me? I'm considering when i go out papering the kitchen and then removing a piece at a time over a number of weeks and hopefully getting him to head to the right area then. When we are in the house I try to watch him like a hawk and get him outside when he is making the tell tale signs.

2. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

When house training my dogs, I never let them go toilet inside.

I used to take him outside every hour, unless I saw him sniffing the floor with their tail up and I would hurry him outside, or pick him up and put him out.

After every eat or drink I would take them outside.

If they didnt go to he toilet in 5/10 minutes then I would let him in and wait for him to do the sniffy thing.

If there was an accident (not saying there wasnt any! :)) then I would ignore him and simply clean it up, making sure I used bio-washing powder and spray lemon juice on the place afterwards. But make sure that when he did go outside I made a mad fuss over it. Im sure the neighbours thought I was mad when I was singing "you've done a poo!!!" at 10pm!!! :thumbup:

It does take a while, but believe me after you get into a routine, then the dog will follow this routine and he will eventually get the idea.

3. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

4. Horse and Hound

Cheers for that.

I take him out whenever he wakes up from naps, first thing in the morning, last thing at night, straight after he has eaten, when he's had a drink and when we've been playing and he's been excited. If nothing has happened after 10 mins I bring him in and wait for the sniffing and circling. When he does go outside he gets a mental fuss made of him and a small piece of chicken/ham (fussy little git won't eat puppy treats).

Its hard to watch him 24/7 though and sometimes he's squatted without warning and I just worry as he is on his own for that time during the day, I can'd be there to catch him all the time, hence me putting the paper down and attempting to teach him to head to that spot.

Someone told me to crate him for the 4/5 hours during the day but I don't really want to. He doesn't chew my kitchen up, he just plays with his toys. I don't, however, leave food out for him and my vet said to put 3/4 ice cubes in his bowl instead of water which will keep him hydrated enough until we get home.

So much advice, dunno what to follow!

:(

5. katiefranke

It sounds like you are doing everything really well already - all pups learn at different rates, so maybe he is just a bit young at the mo and slightly confused with the paper.

We used puppy pads which are impregnated with something to encourage them to go on it early on if we had to leave maggie and it didnt seem to slow her learning down as she was clean in the day from early and completely clean in the night by a few months old.

I did find after a while that she would shred the puppy pads, so as she was on lino I just took it away and if she went on it I just cleared it up. but it didnt last for long, she soon got the idea that she got fussed and treated when going outside and ignored when going inside.

some people dont like to let them go indoors at all, but I have used newspaper, puppy pads and nothing - and not seen a difference in speed of learning between them really, so I think it is more about how vigilant you are and how much you praise the good behaviour outside :)

6. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Can you get someone round to let her out whilst your at work?

7. Horse and Hound

Yeah, our kitchen is like a T shape, if you will and he doesn't bother with the main stem of the T, its the cross bar if you will he plays in (although I found him in a saucepan the other day). So I've put loads of paper down and a puppy pad by the back door. At the end of the day, its for my ease as well as anything that's on there I can lift up and straight in the bin with minimum fuss.

When he goes outside as he is going I repeat the word "outside" to him and then praise him like hell so I can't really do much more.

I must admit when I went out for 2 hours the other day and came back there was NO mess at all in the kitchen, so he is going less and less when we are out so fingers crossed he's holding it in longer.

Would you leave the newspaper down when you are in, or perhaps just leave a little bit and the pad by the back door so if he does run towards it I get the message and get him out?

8. Horse and Hound

Him :D

I do already really. I work long hours during the week (usually leave about 8 ish and get back at between 5 and 6) but my other half leaves for work at about 11 ish.

The lass from 3 doors down comes and plays with him from half 3 till I get home and she watches him, but from 11 till 3:30 he is on his own. Its not ideal but like the vet said, people have to work and its not an unreasonable time for him to be alone.

He's going less and less during the time we are out. At first it was all over the place but now its just 2/3 puddles and very rarely a number 2!

9. katiefranke

ah i see - the 4/5 hours is when you are at work! doh! sorry didnt realise that.

ok so yeah this is probably slowing down learning a bit - as Phoenix&Charlie'sMum said, is there anyone that could pop in in the middle of this time to let him out for a wee and praise? this would move it along much swifter i would think! :thumbup:

[edit] - sorry just seen your post above, ok so scrap that idea! so is the wee in that time there when your neighbour comes in? is there any way she could come in 30 mins earlier and see if thats all it takes to catch him and get him outside? could be he just cant hold his bladder for the full time yet - its quite a long time for a young pup to hold it.

and no i agree with you, i wouldnt want to crate them for that time either personally. he is confined to the kitchen area anyway so cant cause a mess round the house.

re leaving the paper down when you are there - no, i wouldnt. i would take it all up and be super vigilant. and just a thought, but if you are picking all the paper up and throwing it away etc, do you clean the floor still every time and what with? cos a small amount could have seeped through and then even dried and you wouldnt notice, which to pup's nose would be very strong and encourage repeat offending in that area!!

so make sure you clean it with something meant to get rid of doggy wee/poop smells to the DOGs nose and not just yours and see how you go :)

#9 katiefranke, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  10. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Sorry :eek:

Well it sounds like you are on the right track. Im sure he will get it eventually. It does take ALOT of patience. Be glad that he is just piddling, not chewing up your kitchen cupboards :lol:

I would leave the paper down for him then and then once you get home remove it and make sure he knows to go outside. Once he can hold his wee for longer than you can remove the paper when you are out.

At nearly 12 weeks he still has a little bladder so its good that he isnt leaving you any brown presents :D

11. Horse and Hound

She's at school and doesn't get back till half 3 ish. When I come in I ask if he's done anything in the kitchen and if he's been outside and she usually says there's a bit of wee in the kitchen and he's been toilet outside too.

I'm cleaning it at the moment with dettol (get rid of the germs, and my piece of mind) and then some dog cleaning spray I got from the pet shop, but maybe it isn't working that well. Someone mentioned lemon juice and water in a spray might be better once I've used the dettol?

It is a long time for him to hold it, which is why to be perfectly honest, I'm not too bothered about him going in the kitchen, the only worry I have is that it undoes everything we do during the day.

12. Horse and Hound

He leaves me brown presents...normally sticks and leaves he fetches in from the garden and deposits in a pile in his bed. I hadn't noticed them till I went to wash his blanket the other day!! :D

13. katiefranke

yeah maybe try the lemon juice then - really there isnt a lot more you can do - so you might just have to accept that it will just take that little bit longer as you cant be there.

but sounds like it is going well and pup is already improving - and hes still only little.

so fingers crossed it all keeps improving :)

14. Horse and Hound

Aye, I suppose. I keep forgetting he is only approaching 3 months old. It took a mate of mine the best part of a year to get her pup completely house trained. :eek: (Mind you, it is a bit slow at everything. Walks into patio doors and the like!)

They are like babies really, all of them different so we'll carry on as we are and hope for the best. If there's no improvement in another 4/5 weeks then I'll start to worry!

15. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

A good way of cleaning away the smells is to wash the floor with Bio-washing powder in water.

I used to use Dettol, the washing powder, then lemon juice because I was that paranoid!

Although when I first got told to use washing powder, I thought they ment putting the powder ontop of the wet floor - DO NOT DO THIS :lol: it stains the floor white and is a B***er to get off!

put the powder into a bowl of warm water, then wash the floor :thumbup:

16. Horse and Hound

Lol! I have visions of it foaming up like mad too!

I'll try the above then. Wonder what would happen if you mixed the powder, water and lemon juice in a spray together :confused:
    :thumbup:

17. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Good luck with the training. I'm sure it will soon click. Heidi seemed to grasp it at around 12 weeks, then for a couple of months she would have the odd day where it all went pearshaped and then be back on track again.

18. Horse and Hound

Well my dog sitter was with him for most of the day yesterday and she said that he had 2 accidents which were her fault for not getting to him in time. I did the usual fed him, let him out, made a fuss of him when he went outside. Took him to the yard with me where he went mental then took him home and he was on his own for approximately 2 hours whilst I nipped to see my granddad and had my nails done.

Came back, NO ACCIDENTS!!! :thumbup: He went straight outside, had a pee and then came back in and went to sleep. He stayed there from 10 pm till gone 6 this morning! He must have been shattered after racing around!

19. katiefranke

awww, yeah i bet he was bless him!

great news then, see it sounds like he is on the right track - I reckon it must just be cos he is a bit young yet...couple more weeks and you will have cracked it! :)

20. Horse and Hound

Yeah, and like everyone says they all click at different times. He's 12 weeks on monday, but it took the best part of 6 months for my Aunty to get her chihuaha house trained.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing. It'll click eventually.

Oh, washed the floors last night in some of that vanish oxy action crystal stuff as my washing powder is non-bio (OH gets reactions from bio!) but I think it did the trick. He was sniffing like mad at it, snorted then wandered off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice