UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Potty Training - Beagle

Tags
beagle
923 views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Burrowzig 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I've got a 4 months old beagle puppy (female). We've got her about 8 weeks old. We have been trying potty training but it has been very hard. Training pads have been quite useful in the first few weeks, but later she started to destroy them. If we leave them in the room, and she destroys them so peeing has not been adjusted. We have managed to train for her "poo" training, 3-4 times outside everyday similar hours, but in the last week, she denies to do it outside, and no matter how much time we spend outside/park, she relieves herself as soon as we arrive home. We've tried sprays and etc but no work. Today, she has done her last poo at home, after having a nearly 45 minutes good walk outside, and waited for her favourite places but she did not give any sight. As soon as we arrive home, she just did it at her room :(

It is quite frustrating, as its been quite sometime with us, and in general quite playful and intelligent puppy but she really giving us hard-time for this.

She had received several trainings too (1to1 and group).

Thanks for all the advice so far!

#2 ·
This is the result of using puppy pads at the begining, the pup should have been taken outside to toilet right from the start rather then using pads. Pads serve to confuse a puppy and as you have found, yours thinks that toileting has to be done indoors not outdoors. Have you ever got cross with the puppy or told her off for toileting indoors at all? Even a disapproving look or a sigh or anything can be picked up by the puppy as you not liking that she has toileted. This maybe the reason why she is also reluctant to toilet in front of you on walks and sneaks off to toilet elewhere at home.

You now need to go right back to basics and take you puppy out to toilet at regularl intervals, probably hourly after waking, after meals and after a play. Wait patiently and when she does eventually perform praise her as if it is the most wonderful thing in the world. It will also be useful when she is actually toileting to introduce a cue word such as 'busy, busy or 'go wees' or whatever takes your fancy so that she gradually learns when you say those words you want her to toilet. It will take time before she understands this.

Beagles do have a reputation over being stubborn so it will take time to get her into good habits

#3 ·
We have never acted negatively, or being cross with her during poo accidents. She does her morning poo, quite regularly outside every morning around 7.00 - 7.30. In the last few weeks, we can not control her second or third poo (this is either afternoon or evening). Funny thing, she does not stay alone that much, my partner works from home, so she is usually with her, and take her out couple of times during the day for relieving. We stopped giving her treats (the supermarket ones), and giving her natural ones such as cucumber, carrot or apple. I wonder if these cause strange bowel habits with her, but her poos are normal no sign of loose stool at all.

In terms of peeing, we really can not control that much. She does both outside and indoors, its pretty frequent.

#4 ·
she is usually with her, and take her out couple of times during the day for relieving.
In terms of peeing, we really can not control that much. She does both outside and indoors, its pretty frequent.
You have your answer right here. Your partner (or whoever) needs to take the puppy out more frequently. Your aim is to have her out before she needs to toilet so she doesn't have indoor accidents. As someone is at home, you can control it, this should be quite easy. Take her out every 45 minutes to an hour, as already said, and reward generously when she toilets. At this stage, use whatever treat she likes best. If she loves the fruit and veg, great. But if they are not going down well and are not seen as a really great reward, change to something else. Little bits of roast chicken often go down well.

#5 ·
Our puppy is 11 weeks today,he has on the whole grasped the idea of going outside to toilet ,but still has a few accidents if I am not watching the cues he gives me(my fault for not being vigilant),when we got Liam as soon as I woke up I would take him outside ,he would then have his breakfast ,straight back outside for toilet.I would then take him outside about every 30 mins and of course give loads of praise everytime he toileted,your puppy is not being taken out regularly enough to be able to be toilet trained:)

#7 ·
Thanks a lot.

We had the same issue today unfortunately. She had her usual morning routine, poo and pee, outside. Me and my wife tried to get her go for second time until 13.00 p.m. but she refused to go out, or did not like (may be too cold suddenly?). We left her about 1-2 hours in her room, since she was sleeping came back and she did in her room. After her dinner, around 19.00 oclock we tried again, spending around 30 mins outside, walking in the park, playing with neighbour dogs and etc.. no sign of poo, but as soon as we arrive back home, she had her evening poo in the room, while we were in the kitchen.

It is pretty frustrating really, since she had her rhythm previously, feels like we are just back to the zero! :/

#9 ·
A couple of things jump out at me from this post. Firstly, you've said, in the previous post that she goes out at about 7 in the morning and does her business after this she should be going out every hour or so. It is way too long to leave her til 1pm. Then when she didn't go at 1pm, you left her for another couple of hours, of course she went in her room then, at that point she hadn't actually been to the toilet since 7am! When she didn't go at 1pm you should have taken her out every half hour or so until she did go.

As for the evening incident, taking her out after dinner is of course exactly the way to go, but she will probably not go while there are other dogs about for her to play with, that's way more exciting for her than concentrating on going to the toilet. Even my fully grown, very much housetrained dog, will get distracted from getting on and doing his business if there's a ball to play with or another dog to interact with. She really needs it to be calm and quiet with no distractions when you take her out to go to the toilet, certainly until she's got the hang of the idea that toileting is done outside.

Also as has already been said, ditch the puppy pads if you've not done so already! They only serve to confuse a dog as to where they actually are meant to go.
Housetraining Can be a pain, I know, some pups just seem to get it and some seem to have no clue whet they're supposed to be doing,and sometimes it feels like you take one step forward and 3 back, but I have always found with all my pups, and older rescue dogs, that if you are hyper vigilant, get them out very frequently during the day, then generally they get it. It can be jolly hard work but it will be well worth it. Don't get disheartened, you will get there.

#8 ·
I would not be leaving her for upto 2 hours before being taken outside,whatever the weather has been I have taken my puppy outside,I know it is not much fun when it is raining,freezing cold or raining,although Liam is now asking to go out,Iam still going with him,you really need to get her outside as much as possible,watch her and as soon as she starts sniffing or circling take her outside and loads of praise

#10 ·
She is still confused about where to toilet. Take her out, if she doesn't toilet, bring her in for a few minutes then go back out again. Repeat until she toilets outside, and praise and reward. Repeat the process every hour. If you want to have her housetrained you are going to have to put some work into this now but it will pay off in the long term.

#11 ·
Forgot to ask,what are you using to clean up her mess in the house,a lot of household cleaning products contain ammonia which will reinforce the smell of where she has toileted,I use non bio washing powder,and I love the Zoflora for pets,I have only ever seen it in Wilkinsons for a large bottle it is £5 but it lasts around a month

#14 ·
Good news.

We managed to got all outside today, but except the morning, the rest of the day is quite random!

7.00 a.m. morning, right after her first meal. (poo + pee)

Several visits to outside for pees, until 16.30 but no big action!

16.30 for the second poo

loads of playing, running and few pee visits to outside again until 19.30. She went to sleep early, got tired. Just pick her up from the sleep and went outside.

so 22.30 for the third one, before the sleep!

Her meal times have never been changed, always the same (7.00 a.m., 13.00 and 19.00), but we really can't get the exact timing for afternoon and evening potty times.
Another thing I realized, today I've managed to leave work a bit early, so I took her outside both afternoon and evening, so she did it. Would it be possible, if she is shy in front of my wife for toilet time?

#15 ·
If your wife has ever scolded her for toilet in in the house, it is very possible. If she has ever shown any displeasure, your puppy may have picked up on her body language. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at them toileting, as opposed to toileting indoors. So if she thinks toileting is what makes her cross, she mey try to do it when when your wife is not there. That includes waiting until your wife steps out or doing it in another room.

If you need to check the eating to pooing time, add a few kernels of sweetcorn to one meal.

#16 ·
O.K. another good news, no accident yesterday! the timing so far;

7.30 - 8.00 (first meal) - poo + pee

14.00 (After second meal) - poo + pee

18.00 (before the final meal) - poo + pee

22.30 (Before sleep) - poo + pee

I've done also several short visits for an hour or so for quick pee's :D

I really hope, we can get this schedule in order without any disruption!

#18 ·
Hello all,

Unfortunately, we missed our routine again. She made two accidents today, morning and evening :( It's quite frustrating, she missed the first one in the morning, as soon as she woke up (a bit earlier than usual), and the evening, she just made her poo again, after our walk. I can't really sort this out, what are we doing wrong really?

Are we expecting too much, considering 4.5 months age? We got her while she was 10 weeks old, but been trying to train (potty) quite consistently, since...

Many thanks

#19 ·
I'm afraid there will be accidents, she is still young and is still learning. You just need to continue to follow the advice you've been given on here. When an accident does occur you need to ignore it completely, clean up without any reaction or comment, don't let your pup see that you are upset, frustrated or bothered in any way by it, and when she toilets outside really really praise her, like its the cleverest most amazing thing she has ever done.
House training doesn't happen overnight,as you have already discovered, it takes time and sometimes lots of time, some dogs 'get it' very quickly, other dogs struggle with it, but if you are consistent she will get there.
If she doesn't go to the toilet on your evening walk, when you get back, put her in the garden and stay quietly with her until she does go.
I sincerely hope you've ditched the use of the puppy pads?

#21 ·
You can't let her out of your sight if you want to break her habit of toileting indoors. Get a light lead about 8 foot long and thread your belt through the handle, other end clipped to the dog. Where you go, she goes. She stays withing your sight. As soon as you see her sniffing the ground, circling, beginning to squat if you miss the first signals, you get her outside FAST. For times it's difficult to have a dog around your feet - cooking for instance - she goes in a crate or pen which she will want to avoid fouling; take her outside first.
Beagles are supposed to be one of the harder breeds to house train, but you have been giving her room for error and she's taken it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.