Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Potty train unvaccinated puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Enkidog, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Enkidog

Enkidog PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

Thanks for letting me join this great community!

I live in a first floor flat with no terrace and will soon receive a Dachshund Smooth Standard puppy of 8 weeks old. My plan is to potty train him to do in the street, but I am a bit concern about how to do this considering that at this early age he will not be complete vaccinated.

I live in London and in my area I have never seen a stray dog. However, there are a few cats roaming around and in the night there are some red foxes. I was wondering what do people do when they receive a puppy of this age and need to potty train him outdoors? Should it be fine if I carry him on my arms until we reach some grass and then bring him in my arms again? Or should I start teaching him to do in an indoor toilet and after he has been fully vaccinated I teach him to do outdoors? I am afraid this last option could be too confusing for a dachshund puppy and he may never understand this change.

FYI I will ask about this to my vet, but first I need to receive the puppy, so is better to know if I need to buy an indoor toilet before he arrives or not.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Martin

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Yes, that's an option. The risk is from the urine of rats and unvaccinated dogs so that's what you need him to avoid. Just a note on using grass; encourage him to use a variety of different surfaces so he doesn't get so accustomed to one that he always has to find that particular sort of surface.

3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Unless you’re planning on getting up in the night (potentially a couple of times initially) and traipsing out to the street, I think you’ve got no option.

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think I would check with the vet. If there has been an outbreak of parvo in your area it would not be wise but otherwise I would risk going out. The only problem is a puppy needs to go when it needs to go so carrying it out to grass some way away might well not work. You are talking about going out at least once an hour in all weathers and in the pitch dark too. Very often in your pyjamas! Is it going to work for you. Your other option is to resign yourself to indoor toileting for ever. A dachshund is not going to manage stairs constantly whatever its age, you will end up with back problems (the dog I mean but possibly you if your pup grows as big as my friend's mini dachshund. They are not very light dogs either so I forsee a lot of dog carrying for the next many years! You need to have a good think about it and decide what will suit you long term as well as short term. It is not impossible but obviously an awful lot more work than if you had a garden. Good luck with it. Oh by the way - re Ian's comment, I have never got up to pups in the night, I have put newspaper down but it does not seem to have affected their house training and once they can hold all night they are just as house trained as one that is got up to regularly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice